Author Topic: Pin Connector  (Read 1866 times)

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
Pin Connector
« on: July 23, 2023, 12:22:44 »
Can someone advise on re-making the solder joint where Mercedes inserted the wire(s) into the connector then soldered it into place?  Will a soldergun provide enough heat?  Is there a special solder (maybe lower temp) that should be used?

I need to reconnect a couple of wires that I cut from a pin, if possible.

Thanks,
Harry
Harry Bailey
Knoxville, TN
1966 230SL
Automatic

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Pin Connector
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2023, 14:30:44 »
I use a soldering gun or mini butane torch works good also. Be sure to use one that gets hot enough to do the job. Cold solder joints are the biggest mistake. Standard resin core solder is best for electrical. Heat the old connector while holding it with some needle nose pliers. Shake it clean while the solder is still liquid. Insert the prepared wire end and re-solder. You can use an alligator clip in a vice to hold the connector while you solder. You can grind off any excess solder or protruding wire if necessary after the solder hardens.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023, 18:26:44 »
Thanks John!
Harry Bailey
Knoxville, TN
1966 230SL
Automatic

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2023, 10:59:58 »
Only one final advise after soldering many many connectors on my hobby business of refurbishing wiring harnesses.

1. Buy solder brand KESTER made in USA. excellent flowing properties (Amazon). What a difference compared to Chinese stuff of many brands.
2. Sand pins and then, with a small Inox steel brush, make them shine before soldering.  Cleanliness is vital for a good solder.
3. Keep your solder gun tip clean with appropriate cleaning web so that the exposure time on each solder operation, is minimal due to an excellent thermo transfer properties

If you have an old Bakelite connectors with the same number of pin holes that are present on the plastic connector you are repairing,  the better.  Bakelite can withstand higher temperature exposure than newer plastic terminals present from year 1968 onwards.

Bakelite is fragile to impacts, but to use it to keep cables in right place while soldering is a good extra hand, good when you are developing your solder skills.

Terminals pins as said before should be very clean.  No grease, or contaminants in any way.

Same advise applies to the cables to be soldered, they should be clean. You should see a shinny copper surface.  If not the case, sand the cable ends with grit P240, or if you are patient enough sumerge cables tips into citric acid to remove impurities.  To try to solder oxidized cable ends is a waste of time and will lead to poor quality connections.

Best regards
L.peterssen
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 11:14:50 by lpeterssen »

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 11:04:39 »
Here some usefull links

Weller 40W Digital Soldering Station -WLC100 Black https://a.co/d/anNzuDW

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2023, 11:06:56 »
There are much more sophisticated soldering guns like the one I have, but this particular red one from Weller lasted me many years doing this refurbishing jobs, and I think is at a very affordable price point with a quality product.

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2023, 11:24:55 »
Wow.  Good information on soldering.  Thanks very much.
Harry Bailey
Knoxville, TN
1966 230SL
Automatic