Author Topic: Becker raidio replacement??  (Read 8270 times)

mcreasy

Becker raidio replacement??
« on: November 14, 2010, 11:50:59 »
My car has a cheap cassette radio and I would like to replace it with a radio that has the original look and astetics of the Becker but will have an Ipod hookup..Any companys make a look alike nostalgic car radio.. since I dont have the original anyway? Thanks mary

RayG

Re: Becker raidio replacement??
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 14:08:03 »
Becker has a good stock of reconditioned radios original to these cars. They also sell  a new dash  speaker of the original size if you are not looking for stereo. Acoustics in these cars is not that good anyway so I elected to replace the aftermarket radio  that was in the car when I got it with the Becker Europa and a dash speaker. It sounds great. If you want stereo, go with the later Becker Mexico ( similar in appearance but with a tape player) and place the speakers in the kick panels. There is a kit you can buy to add an input jack to these radios but it does require drilling a small hole in the faceplate, but it is certainly preferable to adding a retro radio. I added a retractable antenna as the original was manual. I like the look of the antenna retracted except when in use. Since the space is small, I used an aftermarket power antenna which are much smaller than the Hirsch antennas used in later Benz models and was able to use the original fender collar and nut from my original antenna so the appearance is virtually the same as the original manual antenna while giving me the convenience of an electric.

RayG

philmas

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • France, Ile-de-France, Le Raincy
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 17:16:21 »
If you think the new Mexico is somewhat overpriced, why not consider one of those refurbished stereo Beckers, such as the Europa (I or II) stereo, or even the Grand prix stereo with optional aux-in jack (Königs)?
The external jack is connected to the back plate of the unit (DIN-jack adapter) and needs no drilling.

Of course, these oldies shouldn't match the sound quality of the modern Mexico, but the limits of the whole system will still remain the speakers , specially their questionable location in the kick panels, wich is-in my opinion- anything but ideal for high frequency response.

I have a Grand Prix stereo (with stock external amp) and a pair of footwell speakers (2 way all-in-one Pioneers) .Sound is boomy, trebles missing.
One solution might be installing tweeters in the center dash well, but this would require a discrete two-way system .

Remember anyway that this is only for low-speed running, as the exhaust, wind, and soft-top noise will quickly overcome the radio at usual speeds...

« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 17:29:55 by philmas »
Philippe from Paris
Euro '71 280SL manual 4sp

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 17:49:08 »
Hi Mary,
talk to Ed Ebel or Tom Mitchell at http://www.beckerautosound.com/ (201-773-0976/0977) and discuss with them what you would like to have.
Both are very knowledgeable and have helped many of us here with repairs and parts for old Beckers.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

cynewan

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 18:41:13 »
i have an extra becker radio with the Ipod connection (excellent condition ) .  PM me if interested

douglas dees

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 23:16:51 »
I used a Becker Europa stereo and put a Panasonic 400 amp under the passenger seat. The speakers were replaced with MB quartz speakers from Germany ( 2 at the back and 2 in the kick panels) . The dash speaker was left blank.

I had a I pod plug from Becker USA plugged into the back of the Becker as there are extra plugs and hooked up a 6 pack CD cassette player under the rear deck panels at the back but then I changed it to the trunk at the back.
Sounds are great and I can use the radio, I Pod or the CD player.

Put the top down and turn  up Johnny Cash

Doug Dees
Toronto :)

philmas

• Associate Member
  • Senior
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 20:44:38 »
Did you use a DIN-cinch adapter to connect the Becker to the amp ? Would you say upgrading the amp makes the difference with the original set?
Philippe from Paris

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 09:05:15 »
68 280SL

reggie

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Leeds
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 10:40:38 »
 Nice one Naj - that made me laugh -  :D
1969 280 5 speed zf 180g

philmas

• Associate Member
  • Senior
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 12:49:46 »
Philippe from Paris

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 17:40:58 »
My car has a cheap cassette radio and I would like to replace it with a radio that has the original look and astetics of the Becker but will have an Ipod hookup..Any companys make a look alike nostalgic car radio.. since I dont have the original anyway? Thanks mary
No one asked the relevant question - what year is your car?  1967ish the hole for the radio switched from small hole to din size hole.  If you have a small hole (and no one hacked it ) then your options are limited to a Europa TR small face or a Grand Prix small face.  If you have the larger (more likely) hole then your options are a Europa, Europa TR, Europa II Stereo, Grand Prix, Mexico.    These are all Becker pinstripe radios.  Some of them have external amps, some don't.  If you get a stereo radio then you put becker kick panel speakers on the left and right kick panel.  Regardless, the Becker pinstripes will all have a din plug in back and you can buy a cable (or make one if you are ambitious) that will provide MP3 to the Becker when you plug a plug into the cable's jack.  Or you can have Becker make a modification for you.

My preference is against the Mexico because you don't get preset pushbuttons and you are never going to use the cassette. 

Regarding money - you can spend a fortune or not depending on your requirements.   Becker Autosound will gladly sell you everything you want for a big stack of money.  Or you can buy a Europa on Ebay for not too much money, possibly with mp3 already setup.   You do NOT have to drill a hole in the faceplate - that is only one of the options for the mp3 input.   Using the DIN plug in the back is another.

My opinion is that the ones with external amps sound better (Grand Prix, Mexico, and Europa TR) but that any of them sound fine.

One of the forum members says he has one w/ mp3 already to go - that might be the best bet.  You need to find out if it is stereo or mono, and if you have a small-face opening or a big face opening.  Hopefully no one has hacked your dash...

Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California