Author Topic: alternator mounting help!  (Read 4354 times)

xcashewx

alternator mounting help!
« on: June 14, 2010, 16:59:03 »
while replacing all the belts i discovered my alternator  would just wiggle around. the top tensioning rod has a lot of play, and the bushings looks thrashed, also i dont remember correctly how to arrange the bottom bolt/ washers/ bushings etc.
i have the early alternator bracket i believe, i have a picture just to confirm.
can someone please enlighten me on how to correctly mount this thing?
and part numbers for the parts i need, i cant seem to source them anywhere beside sls

heres what i have

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: alternator mounting help!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 13:48:53 »
Hi,

You should have four each of the collared rubber bushes and two each of the smaller bush.
The rubber bushes go either side of the tongue (x2) on the main mounting bracket and the small bush thru the rubber bush. Flat washers on either sides of the rubber bushes so that you have a rubber cushioned mount.
The bigger bush between the rear of the alternator and the rear tongue to keep the alternator from moving back and forth. If there is more room, add flat washers to make a snug fit.
For the adjusting rod, you need a special bolt with a collared shank so that it would not flop about when fitted.

I believe this is not the original alternator for the car, but it can work.

Hope this helps.

New rubber bushes weere available when I did this job (2002?)

Hope this helps.

naj
68 280SL

xcashewx

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 00:11:50 »
thanks, does anyone have the part number for these bushings? cant seeem to find them anywhere

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 02:56:10 »
Cashew,
here is a photo of the parts with part numbers. However, I am not sure whether the parts are assembled in the correct order.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230