Author Topic: Sills for 1964 230sl  (Read 2240 times)

getsmart

• Silver
  • Australia, Victoria, Dromana
Sills for 1964 230sl
« on: July 31, 2012, 12:15:59 »
Hi All,

I'm in Melbourne, Australia and need to replace the sills on my 64 230sl resto project. Appreciate replies on where I can source these from...

I'm also removing all the old sound deadening material from the interior and would love to hear from people who've replaced there's and whether the're happy with their choices and if doing again would they use the same product..

Cheers all and so enjoying getting stuck into my resto !! :)

Joe
Finding the red car
1964 230sl Restoration Project

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
Re: Sills for 1964 230sl
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 05:05:19 »
I think they should have never used the tar-like fabric material in the floor pans of our cars. You'll agree if you ever try to scrap this stuff off. To me , the material traps moisture and promotes rust. I have seen many W113's with rusted areas under this stuff. I'm not sure that the dynamat type material is any better. I scraped, cleaned , and repaired and painted my pans and used a thick, auto- jute padding on the pan area under the carpet mat areas, with a dynamat material only on the place where our foot mats are. If I had to do it all over again, I would probably skip the dynamat. I just don't think it benefits much. New carpet and a good jute pad is all that is needed in my opinion. I used the jute pad  under the seat areas and under the floor mat  areas only. All other carpet sections were glued. I did not glue the over the hump carpet piece, forward of the shifter, for easy access to transmission windows if needed. ( A tip from Bud's Benz) It helped make the car very quiet when driving. Trying to remove a dynamat type product would not be any easier. Using it  sparingly as I did, is a safer bet in my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 05:24:16 by rmmchl »
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red