Author Topic: turn signal electrical problem  (Read 3024 times)

n/a

turn signal electrical problem
« on: August 27, 2006, 11:47:14 »
Can anyone tell me what to look for? While driving my 68 280sl last week I noticed that the turn signals had stopped working. Then I noticed that when I activated them, or turned on the lights, or stepped on the brake pedal that the fuel guage would immediately drop to empty. It sounds like a ground problem but looking under the dash I could not see anything amiss. Any body else ever seen this problem? Thanks, John

n/a

Re: turn signal electrical problem
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 12:00:55 »
I forgot to mention that my 4 way flasher works fine. John

graphic66

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 14:02:01 »
Just a guess, but it sounds like you have some wires touching each other in the harness from the dash to the left side of the car and back under the chrome piece on top of the left rocker and into the trunk. Maybee you had a short and some heat melted the insulation somewhere.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 16:42:19 »
Hello,

Nine out of ten times, mysterious electrical problelms are caused by a bad ground. Check the ground wires on the back of the instruments (the ones under the instrument thumb nuts).  Check both main plug connections directly under the dash above your left leg.  Make sure the plugs terminals are clean and tight.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

bpossel

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 05:12:31 »
For close to a year, I chased a right rear brake light issue on my car.  Some days it worked, other days it didnt.  

After replacing the bulb, swapping bulbs, cleaning all ground connections, soldering a loose wire going to a ground pin, I almost gave up...

Recently, I found the culprit!  I removed the rear light housing from the car.  After removing the bulbs, I then separated the bulb housing plate from the main base, carefully using a small screw driver to pry up on the unit.  This plate is simply held in place with a few molded tabs that sit around the main housing.

On the inside of the bulb plate there are flat metal strips that connect each of the bulb sockets to the center where the wire connects into the unit.  It basically looks like a simple circuit board.

The problem with my rear brake light not working was caused by a hairline crack in this metal strip going to the brake light socket.  To fix, I put a small amount of solder over the crack.

Fixed!

My comment here is to just stay with it, and dont give up.  You will find the problem.  Trace each connection, check all grounds, make sure they clean, connected and making contact.  These cars are built well, and being old need a bit of TLC.

Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

al_lieffring

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 07:29:31 »
Check for clean connections in the fuse box, the 4 way flashers are on a different fuse circuit than the turn signal,brake,instruments. There may also be a grounding problem at one of the tail lamps.

113-042-10-014715
built 11 Jan 66
904/396 blue, Ivory Tex
condition- rust bucket

n/a

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 18:40:50 »
Thank you Al, I checked the wiring diagram and all my problems were on the #5 fuse. The fuse was good but I changed it out anyway and the problem was solved. I went ahead and cleaned all the fuses and ran emory cloth over the connections in the fuse box in case any of the other circuits get the same idea. Thanks for everybody's help. John

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 22:02:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by noheir

.... I went ahead and cleaned all the fuses and ran emory cloth over the connections in the fuse box in case any of the other circuits get the same idea. Thanks for everybody's help. John

This is a good lesson for any new owners -- it's a quick and easy maintenance item. Also a good chance to see what fuse does what...

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL