Author Topic: turn signal flasher  (Read 4058 times)

Ed Fisher

turn signal flasher
« on: September 29, 2005, 13:24:35 »
Well after rebuilding the wiring harness the turn signals don't flash.  I ordered a flasher from Mercedes, but can't find the old one!  Can you please enlighten me?  I have an airconditioner, so please be specific before I start tearing that thing out of there...

Thanks,

Ed Fisher
Dallas, Texas
64 230sl

Ed Fisher

Re: turn signal flasher
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 14:58:24 »
O.K. after re-reading the above posting, and after not getting any responses I figured y’all must have thought me such a bone-head as to not be worthy of your typing.  I can’t say as I blame you.  Let me explain.

The new turn signal flasher from Mercedes was square, and there were no square flashers under my dash.  That is why I was confused.  I finally found the round flasher, took it apart, and got the signals working again, but I do not suspect for long.  This relay is tired.

After calling a few of the online suppliers I have learned that the only flasher that is available now is the square one.  Has anyone converted their car from round to square that could enlighten me as to how to modify the wiring please?  I would certainly appreciate it.  Or, does anyone have a working round one that they would like to sell?

Thanks for any help.

Ed Fisher

RBurg

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 17:05:28 »
Ed: You need to slide the top of the plug off- you will see two wires next to each other  and one wire standing alone. Move this wire to the empty hole  replace the cover and it should work.
Be sure to make a diagrahm before you start. Good Luck

Ron
71 280SL Tobacco "O GIGI"
97 E420 Silver Mist

Ed Fisher

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 05:24:02 »
Ron:

Thanks for the reply.  Let me make sure that I understand.  

"You need to slide the top of the plug off".  Are you referring to the socket on the car, or the flasher unit itself?

"Move this wire to the empty hole replace the cover and it should work" By this wire, I take it to mean the one wire standing alone, is this correct?

Again, thank you for the reply.

Ed Fisher
Dallas, Texas

jeffc280sl

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 09:18:45 »
Hi Ed,  I have no experience with the new flasher relay.  The fact that you have the old one working is a good sign.  According to the wiring diagram there are 3 wires going to the relay.  One is a ground.  The second goes to fuse #5.  The third goes to the blinker stalk switch.  Is this the way your car is wired?  I suspect one can identify the ground terminal on the new relay by looking at it.  That leaves you with 2 options for connecting the other wires.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

Ed Fisher

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 14:14:20 »
Jeff:

Thanks for the lookup of the wiring.  I am sure that my car does go to fuse #5 for power.  I can locate the ground easily enough, but hate to take apart a new 50.00 relay and re-route/rewire the guts without knowing somewhat of what I am doing.  Not only that, but I don't want to fry my turn signal stalk after reading about what a bear they are to work on and the expense to replace.  Just looking for some guidance before going further.  Was kind of hoping for a BTDT from one of the gang, but if there is none I will press forward.

Again, I appreciate your help.

Ed

jeffc280sl

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 16:12:20 »
Your welcome.  If you know which terminal on the relay and which wire is ground that leaves you with the way you tested it already and switching the two wires (not including ground).  I'd try it.  Both wires are hot, I don't think there should be a problem.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed