Author Topic: Trying to check vin number  (Read 4206 times)

Nick Smart

Trying to check vin number
« on: January 12, 2015, 11:19:55 »
I have been offered a 280 approx 1970 in need of restoration which has no documents or registration plates,is there a way of checking these old vin numbers? i have done hpi which has shown nothing i have contacted mercedes brooklands but they say their records dont go back that far,contacted mercedes Germany and ordered a data card but this will only show the build. Spoken with the police who wont give out the info and would you believe it told me to take a chance and buy it. DVLA say i have to apply for a new registration but am not sure whether to do this because if it does come up as stolen i dont know what would happen. Does anyone out there know if it is possible to check these older vin numbers.
Thank you.

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Re: Trying to check vin number
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 14:09:13 »
Here is a vendor list for the UK, I would call some of them numbers perhaps they can help you out. Does the fellow that is selling the car has no information at all? I recommend you stay clear of the deal unless you get some proof of clear title. 

Good Luck ...

DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 14:30:16 »
Nick,
if you can have access to the car being offered to you, consider checking the data contained in VIN with realities, i.e.
- check if the VIN the same on the plate as it is on some parts where the last three digits should be marked up as well (this is well explained in our Tech Manual and on the very instructive webpage http://www.motoringinvestments.com/280SL_BuyersGuide.htm
- check whether the parts specific to 1970 model are there (again check the modification schedule for W113 as available in certain books or in our Tech Manual)

The Datacard would be obviously better as it tells more specifically about certain options etc, but the above should be a good start.

BTW, the datacard should be available to you through your coal MB dealer (I got mine this way), but they request the proof of ownership of the car. I am therefore quite surprised you were able to request yours at the MB Germany. 
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

Nick Smart

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 16:48:17 »
Thanks for your replies, i will have a look and check all these bits, sorry i may have confused you i ordered the data card via my local mb dealer.they never asked me for any proof or id  they  may do will when it arrives though.
Thanks once again.

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 22:29:00 »
Hi Nick,

Buyer Beware should be the motto !

Does the seller offer any checkable information to you on the car ?

Has the car been previously offer for sale anywhere ?

Can you check out the actual Numbers on the car, as suggested by Rolf-Dieter ?

Is the car offered at a realistic price - or one too good to miss ?

If you sign up for the HPI checks, do they not then offer compensation if the car turns out to be a "wrong un"

Have you checked the VIN against the vehicle data list on this site here ?

Good luck,
keep us informed on your progress

Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 03:00:15 »
Did the police officer tell you to take a chance after he looked it up?  Might be a hint.

Nick Smart

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 19:31:11 »
Yes i could not believe it, they also stated that all calls are recorded and gave me a call reference number which i have kept. I am going to try to register the car with the dvla and see what happens,dont know if they will accept the form as i cannot answer most of the questions on it. Its a V55/5 form of first registration.They also told me i could try to register it with its original reg if it ever was registered before. Will keep you informed as to what happens.