Author Topic: Replacing York compresser with Sanden  (Read 7803 times)

chumps

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Rosa Valley
Replacing York compresser with Sanden
« on: January 23, 2013, 01:12:47 »
I have a brand new 508 compressor that I have had for about 20 years. I bought it years ago to put into an older Porsche. I never got around to doing the job. I figured that sense I had the compressor I may as well swap it for the York that is my 71 280. I bought an adaptor on line to use with the original York mount. I went thru the system about ten years ago. I wanted to remain original so I just replaced the old York with a new York - new hoses, dryer, and condenser. Left the small condenser in the system. I finally got the York compressor out (not easy).  The engine was out of the car ten years ago.. Now my dilemma. I went to the air conditioning man (he has been there for thirty five years so I pay attention to what he says). He told me that the Sanden compressor that I have has flange fittings, which it does, and that I should buy a new Sanden with o-ring seals. He didn't say that flange fittings were going to leak for sure, but that the o-ring fittings WOULD NOT LEAK. I have gone this far so I am going to replace the York with the Sanden, but I don't want to go thru the labor of changing out the compressor again if it is prone to leak. Sorry about the long story. Has anybody got any comments on the subject. Any input would be appreciated. I have read all the threads on the sight and I can't find any mention of fittings (O-rings or flange).
Thanks, Chumps

w113dude

Re: Replacing York compresser with Sanden
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 01:30:58 »
I don't use ac as I'm allergic to it (it could be 40 deg, as soon as I turn on an ac unit I catch a cold). all the York ac units that I have seen and taken out of cars they all worked & look very robust, it makes me wonder if the leaks aren't at the O rings where would they be?

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 02:47:15 »
I've had a Sanden 508 in my car since the engine rebuild 7 years ago.  I had new hoses made with flanges on the compressor end.  During the dash rebuild last year, I vacuumed the refrigerant out to disconnect the evaporator.  When I reconnected the evaporator, my AC guy pulled a vacuum on the system and it held for 45 minutes with no leaks.  I don't know if O-rings would be better but seven years of perfect seal with the flanges is pretty good.  My concern would be that if the compressor has been sitting unused for two decades, what are the odds it will be trouble-free? 
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

chumps

• Senior
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 16:08:23 »
Thank you for your replies Raymond and w113Dude. I think I'm going to get a new compressor because of the age of the one I have. They are fairly inexpensive, and I have a friend that wants the old one. Chumps

ptooner

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 04:21:29 »
I am looking at the same situation as to replacing the compressor (My old York leaks) so I will be very interested to hear how this goes.  I'm particularly interested in the mods needed to fit the Sanden to the York bracket.  Please keep us posted.
Gerry

chumps

• Senior
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 05:30:12 »
ptooner go to search and type in sanden you will find a lot of info about changing the York for a Sanden.

George Des

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 13:48:51 »
The Sanden is technically a rotary compressor and draws a lot less on the engine. Unlike the York, you will hardly notice when it cycles on and off with little drop in engine rpm. It also is more compact and has much much less vibration than the York which is a piston compressor. When doing the chnage over you have the option of staying with R12 which is the old refrigerant and difficult to get except at a certified a/c shop or going with R134A. R134A is less efficient than the R12 but is readily available to consumers at just about any auto supply store in small can sizes. R134A operates at higher pressures and has a smaller molecule size. This requires that the hosing be changed over to oring type fittings and with a rubber material specifically designed for R134A. In some case, the original hosing can be used with the fittings only changed over. R134A also uses a different type oil than the R12. When doing the change over, it is also a wise idea to ditch the original condensor coil and replace it with a parallel flow condensor--they are readily available in various sizes and are not all that expensive. Hope this helps.

George Des

nadeem

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 17:29:00 »
i have replaced york with mercedes ND17 compressor comimg in 280 twin cam engin pics are attached but be careful for certain modification. if you are going to use R134 then advised to change the front condensor or if you want to keep original then add another smaller for better cooling .

nadeem

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 18:12:44 »
change the dryer filter

SilverSpear

• Senior
  • Saudi Arabia, Ar Riyāḑ, Riyadh
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 19:05:06 »
Guys would I be offending the "Gods of Vintage Mercedes" if I consider installing a more efficient, "pain reliever" modern Japanese compressor in the car?
Early 67 Pagoda 250SL - Under comprehensive restoration

nadeem

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 20:23:56 »
mercedes benz is itself using the japanies & american  compressor

nadeem

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 20:28:53 »
see the fitting this compressor is removed from mercedes 280s original factory fitted.