Author Topic: heater core removal ?  (Read 5114 times)

davids

heater core removal ?
« on: August 16, 2011, 16:23:14 »
I have 1971 280sl w/underdash a/c ,can i remove the under dash A/C AND GET TO THE HEATER CORE WITHOUT REMOVING ANYTHING ELSE OR IS IT MORE DIFFICULT?

George Des

Re: heater core removal ?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 17:29:19 »
Welcome to the club on this job. To get to the core you litterally need to "peel the onion". This is one of the nastiest jobs to do and if you do it, make sure you address any other problems while you are in there including seals, the valve, the blower and motor, bulbs any issues with the operating disks, wipers, etc. I think you'll find a wealth of info in the forum on this including the sequence to follow and what needs to come out.

George

IXLR8

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 18:04:39 »
I agree with George.

After pulling everything else that he described, I finally went after the heater core and the two vent flaps. Those alone took more than two hours.

Do some limbering up exercises first as nothing is easy to get to.

Joe

davids

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 18:54:30 »
where do i get info on the sequence of removal sorry can not find it ?

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 19:56:23 »
Use the search function and type in "heater removal" or "heater valve"
and spend the next three hours reading up on it!  ;) ;D
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 22:19:30 »
Yes do EVERYTHING.  Workiing Saturdays only, I started in January and just completed this job in June if that gives you some idea. 

You'll want to remove the seats and center console.  Invest in one of those Pilates pads for about $20.  You can cut it in half and it makes a fabulous pad for your back and head while you spend all that time lying in there.  Take lots of photos as you go in.  When you think you have every possible angle, shoot a few more.  I took a photo of each wire connection before I disco'd them and I put tape labels on each wire with a description of where it attached.  I still had one that perplexed me for a bit while re-assembling.

I had the heater core replaced by a radiator shop that sent it to Ohio.  It was nice work when it finally came back.  That cost $225.  The Mercedes price for a new heater core is $1,800.00. 

When you get the defroster motor out, check the axle for end play.  If it moves back and forth at all, get a new motor.  Be very careful of the fan blades.  You cannot buy them, you can only buy a complete blower assembly.  I checked with the Classic Center; $2,400.00  I kid you not.  Bud's Benz sells a perfect replacement motor for $150. 

I put in the SPAL blower for the A/C. replaced the heater control levers, luricated the pull cables, replaced all the foam on all the vent doors and seals, the radio speaker, the dash wood trim, and installed a power antenna.

Good luck and I reommend aspirin fo the muscles and neck pain. ;D
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

George Des

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 22:35:19 »
If need be the heater motor armature can be rewound with a brand new commutator installed. This wth a new set of motor brushes should make the motor run like new for a long time. Eurton Electric in Ca. did one for me a time back. I recall the rewind and comm came to about $100.00 or so.

George