Author Topic: Are You Missing Some Parts?  (Read 24383 times)

Bernd

Re: Are You Missing Some Parts?
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2010, 22:43:44 »
Hi Mike...saw the oval washers for sale through someone on the german equivalent website..hope that helps

see the link:    http://www.pagodentreff.de/diskussionsforum/t7274-rosette-handschuhfach.html

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2010, 22:56:59 »
Mike,
David Gallon had the oval washer for the glove box available, from memory I think they were less than $10.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

gnj588d

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2010, 21:40:43 »
Thanks for the help everyone.but I misled you with my wording,what I meant to say about the hood stand offs was where are the springs located, the big ones under the hood cover I presume .I looked at motoring investments site and they have what they call totally original cars,But none have any rubber stand offs where I thaught they would be. Many thanks Mike Rutledge  ???

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2010, 21:55:23 »
Mike. I am still not quite clear what you mean. Which springs are we talking about?
James
63 230SL

gnj588d

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2010, 09:35:26 »
Thanks for the help everyone.but I misled you with my wording,what I meant to say about the hood stand offs was where are the springs located, the big ones under the hood cover I presume .I looked at motoring investments site and they have what they call totally original cars,But none have any rubber stand offs where I thaught they would be. Many thanks Mike Rutledge  ???

gnj588d

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2010, 09:54:27 »
Hi there.should they be on the large springs visable when you lift the soft top stowage compartment lid about 6 inches long x1 inch wide or am I looking in the wrong place thanks .Mike

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2010, 19:48:31 »
Ok. I think Mike is asking about something very different than what Richard has called hood bumper standoffs... Or maybe I am completely confused about all this. Here is what I think Richard meant...not sure what may or may not be missing in the soft-top storage case.

OR...Could this be a classic English language issue? the hood versus bonnet thing? I would imagine in England the hood is the soft-top? whereas in America, it is the equivalent of the "bonnet"
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 19:51:55 by J. Huber »
James
63 230SL

georgem

• Gold
  • Australia, Queensland, Birkdale
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2010, 02:36:12 »
James,

Pip pip and jolly good show for understanding the  poms.

Yes, the  chaps do call the "hood" a "soft top"  something to do with the fact that it is made from material and is soft as well as sitting on top of the car.

As far as the "bonnet " is concerned, who knows, probably some tradition originating from the Magna Carter.  ;D

Quaint and all as it is, most of us Aussies call the metal flap that covers the engine a "bonnet"  and the folding thing that covers the driving compartment and keeps the rain off your head - the "soft top". ;)

Anyway, I`m off to the cricket- another English invention where the batting side is in, with the fielding side, who just got out,  trying to get each batsman out so they can get in. And you reckon hood and bonnets are a problem.....

Cheers
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl
1973 VW Kombi Single Cab Ute
2022 Volvo XC 40 Pure (100% electric)

gnj588d

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2010, 09:22:40 »
Thanks everyone you finally cracked it.I was looking in the completely wrong place,here the hood is the soft top{to keep the rain off my head}and the bonnet keeps the rain of the engine ,I have got the stand offs in place on the spring that crosses the bonnet that keeps the rain off the engine. Thanks again Brilliant.take care.    Mike Rutledge

bpossel

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2010, 11:13:47 »
Maybe we need to add an international cross-word reference section in the Tech Manual ;) ?
Could really get interesting if we throw a bit of Memphis in the mix...
Here in Memphis ...  2 people = "y'all", however ... 3 or more = "all y'all" ...

Bob  :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 11:17:19 by bpossel »

Bob G

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2010, 22:33:16 »
How about the cloth insert  between the cross bowes on the underside of the trunk. These often get through-en away  in doing restorations. I had a company that I used to deal with who made me one up. unfortunately I have to dig through a pile of receipts to fine their name.
I do not know if Mercedes-benz or any classic parts suppliers sell this cloth insert. any one know please let me know?
Bob Geco
1968 280SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2010, 02:27:03 »
Well, since we are back on this thread... Mike R., I finally figured out what stand-offs you were gettin' at. Yes, there should be two small rubber bumper stand-offs near the springs in the soft-top well. They look to be the same as those under the "bonnet!"
James
63 230SL

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2010, 18:11:40 »
I'm missing the small heat shield on the idler, but I hear it's NLA and I've never been able to find one. How is it attached?
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

jeffc280sl

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2010, 19:42:54 »
Hi Andy,

I think you can easily make the upper heat shield.  It is a 7 x 13in piece of aluminum.  About 1 inch of the 13 inch length is bent 90 degrees.  The side with the bent piece is the underside.  The 1 inch side mounts almost against the frame rail.  The heat shield starts right where thw lower shield ends and extends upwards conforming to the curve of the fire wall 13 inched.  It is held in position through the firewall by two counter sunk screws under the carpet.  The shield has threaded standoffs which keep it about 1/2 inch from the firewall.  The standoffs are rivited to the aluminum shield.  I'm sure you could find a way top secure it without the rivited standoffs.

Here is a pic.

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2010, 21:15:58 »
Hey Jeff, thanks very much, but I do have that smaller shield that you describe.
What I'm referring to is an even smaller shield mounted to the chassis cylinder that holds the idler arm bushing. Please see the picture that I pulled from earlier in this topic.
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

jeffc280sl

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2010, 22:20:44 »
Thank you Andy.  Didn't know about that one.  I'm missing it also.   

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2010, 22:55:57 »
Besides being NLA, what is the theory about its purpose? To reduce heat on the idler arm bushing?
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

jeffc280sl

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2010, 00:48:22 »
I suppose it is.  It must have some rubber components that can be heat sensative.