Author Topic: Shifter boot replacement  (Read 4086 times)

dseretakis

Shifter boot replacement
« on: October 26, 2012, 01:52:28 »
I just received a new boot from the Classic Center. Do I have to remove the shifter to get the boot in place or do I remove the knob and slide the boot over the shifter?  Does the knob unscrew?

IXLR8

Re: Shifter boot replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 02:25:27 »
Hi--

The shifter shaft is splined. Pull the knob straight up to remove.

For the boot, remove the nylon/plastic surround--four screws--remove the old boot and replace with the hew one. Refit the nylon/plastic surround to hold down the boot. Replace the knob by pressing it back onto the shaft making sure it is lined up correctly.

the other Joe

dseretakis

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 02:33:29 »
Thanks!  I don't however see any screws in the surround.

IXLR8

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 02:40:07 »
Hi--

On my 230sl, there are four screws to hold the surround down on top of the shifter hole in the transmission tunnel. I don't know if the 280sl is the same.

Joe

hauser

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 03:11:15 »
Pull the knob off.

Pull the carpet out of the way.

Slide the boot down the shaft and and fit it to the plastic base.

If your going to do this I would strongly suggest that you do the shifter bushings unless they were recently done.  If you do decide to go with new bushings get the lower dust cover with it. 

I used white lithium grease for the ball bushings.

dseretakis

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 03:24:08 »
I don't have any of the above set-ups. There is a rubber ring fused to the carpet. The shifter boot seems to be fitted into this ring. The interior of this car is completely original.

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 07:21:36 »
The rubber ring fused to the carpet is a separate part from the shifter boot. If you lift your carpet, the shifter boot should stay in place, whilst the rubber ring will stay attached with the carpet.

The bottom (widest part) of the shifter boot is simply stretched around the plastic base underneath. Replacement is easy once you remove the shifter knob.
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

dseretakis

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 22:39:17 »
Thanks.