Author Topic: 1966 230sl differential - update  (Read 824 times)

Ed Riefstahl

• Regular
  • USA, PA, North East
1966 230sl differential - update
« on: March 18, 2023, 15:27:05 »
Hi fellow Benz affiliates,

Great news, differential is back together at last. My wife mostly watched this time.

The replacement 230SL differential I purchased fell through. Been refunded since and ended up purchasing a replacement slip joint / yoke assembly and refurbishing my original including keeping drum brakes.

After new seals, bushings, brake lines, brake hoses, cylinders, rubber mounts etc. and painted up all nice and pretty and now it's sitting on the floor ready to install. I will strap a 2x4 to the axle to keep it from flexing while we lift it into place and connect the trailing arms and center trunk mount. I will wait for help installing.

Also have new front calipers, brake hoses, master cylinder etc. to do all brakes again. It's been over 20 years since I did the entire brake system last, except pads.

My wife and I are really looking forward to another great road trip with Ms Magoo.
Been to Florida twice, Bar Harbor, Mt Rushmore, Bad Lands, Denver and even crossed the Golden Gate Bridge with her in 2014. Never took it up to Pikes Peak though - hummmmm?

Thanks again for all the comments, suggestions and well wishes for my wife through a very difficult winter.

Kind regards,
Ed Riefstahl
Erie, PA

1966 230SL (Ms Magoo)
1970 280S (Miss Daisy)
1989 300SE (Majestic)
1999 BMW Z3 5 speed
1991 BMW 318I 5 Speed
1997 Toyota Paseo Convertible - Red 5 speed (have you ever seen one?)
1997 Ford Ranger step side (Mater)
2023 Mazda CX 5