Author Topic: Rust Removal Product  (Read 4561 times)

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
Rust Removal Product
« on: March 08, 2005, 21:02:30 »
I don't have rust on my car's body, but I do have rust in the VERY obscure spots of some of my chrome trim...nothing visible, but not something that a perfectionist can tolerate.

Some cheesy catalog that I've never seen offers this product:

http://www.shoppicketfence.com/quickorder.php/PF1badd/18f5/0/107/113/202468

Has anyone used this or similar products?   My goal is to remove superficial rust on the trim without replacing the parts, but I don't know the 'science' of rust and don't want to delude myself if there's not really an intermediate solution (short of full replacement).

Any wisdom on this?
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

dldubois

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
Re: Rust Removal Product
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 20:26:08 »
I've never seen that product.

I've used a product called Klean Strip Rust Dissolver in the trunk a couple years ago after sanding/cleaning and it still looks great.  Seems like several of the auto parts stores had it.

Dana DuBois

1970 280sl White (050)4spd
1968 Corvette Conv. 4spd
Corinth, TX
Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL

Khurram Darugar

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 20:03:31 »
I've used a similar product.
In essence these products chemically alter the rust to a paintable surface.  If everythings pretty obscure you could you use a gel form (Ive used a hammerite wax oyl product)  remove the rust and sand, prime with an anti rust primer and paint over it with a silver base coat.  
Kay

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 03:58:32 »
So, I guess what I'm hearing is that it's not well suited for chrome since it's not a surface I'd intend to paint.   Is this correct?
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 05:14:32 »
Take a look at naval jelly, a weak form of jellied phosphoric acid sold under various brand names as a rust remover.

Several manufacturers say it is safe for removing rust from chrome.

Since it is a nearly clear gel, it is not supposed to leave any residue, commonly used to clean surfaces that will not be painted.

Usual caution here: test it on a small unseen spot before going crazy with this stuff. Also, note the instructions about how long to leave it on before wiping off (maybe 10 or 15 minutes, not overnight.)

Richard M

1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

Douglas

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 08:50:10 »
Chrome polish is a light abrasive, so it should be able to take off the top layer of whatever is on your chrome, including the start of rust.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 10:41:52 »
check out eastwood.com.  this co has lots of auto repair stuff.  you may find what you are looking for.

thx
matt
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

France

• Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 08:48:59 »
Hi Guys,

As constant fighters of rust in all its forms on several oldtimers (but not ourselves  ;) ), we can vouch for naval jelly as the correct thing to use for chrome.  For painted surfaces, nothing beats a product called Brunox, which is 2-propanol mostly (30%) and some propyacetate.  As someone below mentioned, it actually chemically inactivates the rust, stopping and reversing oxidation, and leaves a smooth black surface to be painted.  It works like a dream--apply twice with a small artists brush 6-12 hours apart.

Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder
Sarasota FL
Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...