Author Topic: Color Schemes  (Read 3278 times)

mal

Color Schemes
« on: February 03, 2004, 04:11:49 »
As Am doing a frame-Off restoration on my Car, I decided to change the color, It was painted an egg-shell white,but the original color is 387 metallic blue. I wanted a lighter color, so I started looking all over the web for pictures of 113s in diffrent colors and then tried to match the color codes.. belive me it takes a loooong time.
So my suggestion: is for us to  collect pictures of all 113s with the diffrent color codes, and may be the interriors also, and post them on the Data Bank section of the Forum, to help every one to identfie the cods of their cars, or aid in choosing a new color..
By the way I opted for the MB 906 Light blue metallic, and maybe the hard top will be in 904! (Thanks to Klaus Drexl).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2004, 12:16:05 by mal »

n/a

Re: Color Schemes
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 15:49:51 »
Great idea. I would find this information helpful too.

I have been looking for an a color chart with sample chips of the various paint colors offered, particularly the 280.If anyone knows where to find something like this I would certainly appreciate your feedback.

Do you know that the 280 alone was, over its 4 year production duration offered in roughly 30 different body paint colors?

Ed
Atlanta

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: Color Schemes
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 22:18:05 »
That's not a bad idea to have pictures posted that list the colors.  It would at least give you a general idea.  The problem is that computer monitors can not 100% duplicate the subtle tones.  You just can't get how "rich" or "deep" (subjective terms) a color is or even how metallic it is.

The best thing is to find someone who collects old dealership materials from the period and look at the original paint chips.  Even these may be faded or altered by time.  I would think the person painting your car could give you exact samples.  Tell them you want a light metallic blue and you want to see at least 5 options that would be correct for Mercedes-Benz in the 1960's.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL