Author Topic: Oil Weight  (Read 5678 times)

Ricardo

Oil Weight
« on: June 01, 2003, 19:12:26 »
I was wondering what oil weights people are using? The owners handbook suggests 20w/20 for general summer driving (0-30C)(32-86F) and 10w/30 for hot zones, over 30C. I don't think I've seen 20w/20 for a long time, I'm pretty sure Mobil doesn't make it. Oil ratings have changed significantly in the last 30+ yrs., especially with synthetics now on the market. Is there any potential problems with using wider viscosity range oils like 10w/30 or 40? What about oil pump and filter designs, are they up to heavier oils or synthetics?
Richard V

George Davis

Re: Oil Weight
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 15:17:25 »
Richard,

Multiviscosity oils, like 10W-30, are the only way to go these days.  They pump more easily at low temperature, yet provide superior protection at high temperature.  The 20W-20 must be essentially a straight 20 weight oil, hard to find and not worth looking for, IMO.

My owner's manual recommends 10W-30 for most conditions, and that is probably the best weight for moderate climates.  I use synthetic 15W-40 (or maybe it's 15W-50, can't recall exactly right now) and have no problems with it.  For a few years there was a lot of concern about 10W-40 and some manufacturers recommended against using it.  I think Castrol GTX 10W-40 was one of the few that was considered ok at that time, and I'm sure synthetic 10W-40 oils are fine.  I probably wouldn't use a 20W-xx oil unless I lived in a fairly hot climate.  There's nothing wrong with it, it's just a bit thicker when it's cold so it takes a little bit longer to pump up to pressure.  I'd also stay away from the 5W-xx and 0W-xx oils, mainly because I don't trust an oil that thin unless it's recommended by the manufacturer.

There's quite a bit of info on oils on the net, search for "motor oil viscosity".  But in the end, sticking close to the manufacturer's recommendation is probably best.  Hope this bit of babbling was of some use!

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

pkiefert

Re: Oil Weight
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2003, 00:03:25 »
I initially used Castrol 20W-50 relying on someones advice that an older motor with unknown wear history or condition could maybe use the heavier oil to compensate for same. Also because I had heard these engines run hot internally.   My only reservation was that it took a little longer to build pressure on cold start.  Otherwise served well, kept engine clean, no buildup/residue in oil pan or on cylinder head.  But I"m thinking of using  10W-40. Probably almost any modern grade G oil will work well.