Author Topic: paint color recommendation  (Read 9631 times)

Joe

• Silver
  • USA, CO, Colorado Springs
paint color recommendation
« on: October 12, 2008, 16:00:04 »
My DB050 white 230SL has been stripped and is ready for new paint. I would like to paint it the Horizon Blue, but worry that it will not look compatible with the cognac interior, which I do not want to change. An option is a cream or ivory. There were several of the latter colors offered in 1965 for Mercedes, but the color samples I found on the web are not that clear. Anyway, I think a beige would work well with the cognac.
Advice is appreciated. If anyone has a Horizon Blue car with cognac interior, please let me know how the colors work together.
Thanks,
Joe
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 09:23:38 by Joe »

hauser

Re: paint color recommendation
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 16:26:57 »
Several colors come to mind that will look great with you're interior.  

dk olive green
906 blue met
dark red
dark blue
med blue met

Douglas

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 12:16:15 »
IMHO, I would not hesitate to mate cognac with horizon blue. They're perfectly compatible. Is the interior original? Also, is it leather or Tex?

Joe

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 00:03:45 »
The interior is not original, and is tex. It is not that nice, but I'm not in the position of redoing that, too, at this time.
I'd sure like to see a picture of a horizon blue car with cognac interior!
Joe

hauser

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 12:07:47 »
Joe, Roy Spencer has a nice collection of pics in his gallery section.  Perhaps you might come across something there.

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 13:58:18 »
Not horizon blue but db906 if it's any help

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 14:01:58 by Tosh »
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Joe

• Silver
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 20:23:10 »
My painter emailed me this weekend to ask me to come to his shop on Monday (today) to see the Horizon Blue he had sprayed on the door jambs and inside the doors. He was concerned that it wasn't the right mix. I picked up the glove compartment door he had painted, and it looked grey. We carried it outside to the bright sunlight, and it looked grey. When he held the part, and I walked a few feet away to view it, it looked blue!
I like the blue; I don't care for the grey. However, given how far he had gone with the painting, and the fact I told him to use this color, I told him to proceed. He said the car will be finished this week. And, it has been in his shop only 15 months. Guess I am losing my free storage.
Joe

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 22:29:03 »
I've been there!  These light blues come out of the gun looking almost like primer, but with a gloss.  The true blue color doesn't bloom until the paint cures.  You did the right thing to trust your choice and just let your painter proceed - you won't be disappointed when it is done!
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

DavidBrough

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 06:59:54 »
I’m having a similar dilemma as I recently decided to sell my car being tempted by a blue and cream DB7 Volante. Anyway, a few sensible pills later I decided I’d done far too much work on the SL and it was running so well I was going to keep it after all.

So what to do next, anyway, I decided that I’m going to strip it down and dip and paint the body but in what colour combination. The car is currently 180 silver grey with a black tex interior and, whilst I do like the silver I’m not really a fan of dark interiors so the options seem to be stick with the silver and trim in red leather, probably the darker 242 one as I think the light red seems very bright. Or as per the Aston go for 906 grey blue, like Tosh’s car, but with a parchment interior. Does anyone have any pictures of these colour combinations to help me out. I do have to say that some of the silver and red restored cars I can recall seeing all seemed to have extremely bright interiors that were a bit overwhelming with some also having the sun visors and steering wheel pad colour keyed which was too much. I have seen a few blue and cream cars but not the 906 colour combo. The technical manual paint and trim samples are very useful but there are only limited pictures available.

Additionally, would I be right in saying that the sun visors were always cream and the steering wheel pad either black or white to match the wheel itself?

David Brough
1969 280SL Auto with A/C & 3.46 Axle

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 13:36:23 »
David

Keep taking the tablets. Silver and cognac. Or one of the greens. Or Anthracite Grey (as per the 250 that was at Brooklands)
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Joe

• Silver
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 16:12:05 »
Here is what I saw yesterday. This doesn't look blue to me. (The painter inadvertently painted the underside of the boot body color, and will correct it.)

Download Attachment: 2008_1105Ram35000006.JPG
102 KB
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 16:13:07 by Joe »

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 22:04:09 »
My car looked battleship gray when it was first painted and I was crestfallen.  Then the blue tint in the paint started to bloom as it cured.  But even now, 23 years later, it could pass for gray in certain light.  Here are three shots of the then 20 year old paint taken only a few weeks apart.  You can see how the intensity of the blue varies according to the light.  You can also see how it looks with a tan interior. (Apologies to the group for posting off-brand photos - hey, it's an M.G. which sorta comes close to M-B!)

Download Attachment: TF.jpg
75.62 KB

Download Attachment: TFLewes3.jpg
72.2 KB

Download Attachment: TFLewes4.JPG
92.45 KB
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 12:10:36 by vanesp »
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

hauser

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 23:57:02 »
Just wondering if the primer color has anything to do with the final color?

psmith

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 01:26:42 »
David,
One of our Bay Area owners had a beautiful silver car with a maroon leather interior.  Unfortunately I can't find a good pic of his car.  But here's one in anthracite with the same maroon interior.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 01:27:49 by psmith »

benzportland

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 04:00:47 »
Here's a horizon blue example I have had saved.  Always loved that color!