Author Topic: Fire During Fuel Filter Change  (Read 6373 times)

dakman29

• Senior
  • USA, WA, Spokane
Fire During Fuel Filter Change
« on: May 19, 2010, 20:48:55 »
I will forever remember Mother's Day from now on as the day I set my 280sl on fire.  I was changing the fuel filter, a job I had done before.  The engine was cool, and I still don't know what caused the ignition, but after releasing the filter housing and leaning in to extract it I heard a pop and then saw flames 18 inches high coming from the left front quarter of the engine compartment.  Fortunately I had an extinguisher but the fire burned long enough to melt a corner of the battery leaking acid into the compartment down onto the top of the drivers side horn and hopefully nowhere else.  Paint on the hood was destroyed as were all connections between the distributor and the coil, plug wires, probably the distributor and coil, and at this point don't know what else.  The damage is covered, Hagerty has been great to deal with so far, even agreeing to pay for the car carrier from Spokane to So. Cal. for repairs.  I include this post for a couple of reasons.  First as a caution to other non-mechanic, non-engineer do-it-yourselfers to be extra mindful when changing the fuel filter.  I also post to find out if others have had fires in that part of the engine compartment and can tell me what else is likely to need attention.  Obviously I am just sick about the whole thing, but also consider myself fortunate to escape injury (other than emotional scarring) and to have gotten the flames out before more significant damage was done.

dseretakis

Re: Fire During Fuel Filter Change
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 21:10:22 »
Wow.  You can never be too careful. Your story makes me leery over draining the old fuel from under the tank.  DIfferent locations I know, but you never know.  One thing I would do is disconnect the battery when working on the fuel system.  I hope things get straightened out for you!

hauser

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 21:25:55 »
Static electricity igniting the fuel vapor?

geezer

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 21:42:31 »
I think the other lession is having good insurance.  A lot of folks just figure that it's an old car so they don't need full coverage or they can fix the damage themselves.  Not so.  In this case having a good collector car insurance policy paid off.

al_lieffring

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 22:19:11 »
I had the same thing happen to me. I was changing a fuel filter on a ratty old 230sl (and this was 30 years ago) when I pulled the filter out of the caninser the metal cap on the ends of the filter came into contact with an un-insulated splice on the + battery cable. I found myself standing holding a blazing fuel filter, I flung it out into the middle isle of the shop it left a 20' trail of flame as it soared across the shop, alert co-workers from across the shop first blasted me with a fire extinguisher and then put out the car and the remains of the filter. It all seemed to happen in slow motion, but it wasn't more than a few seconds and it was all over, I wasnt burnt, and no damage to the car either.

graphic66

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 13:40:02 »
I'm going to get my Halon extinguisher out of my boat from now on when I change my fuel filter. Or one of my Co2 extinguishers. Those ABC extinguishers can cause more damage than the fire. I think it may also be a good time to take the battery right out of the car and clean the tray and all the connections just to be safe. It is a good idea to service the battery and the surrounding area from time to time. I wash it out with a warm water and baking soda mixture and then soap and water and rinse. Fire is so fast and damaging. I have a few friends who have had some bad things happen while servicing things involving gasoline. You look pretty silly without eyebrows. One friend had to wear pantyhose for a while after a gasoline accident to help his legs heal.

geezer

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 14:54:34 »
Pantyhose!!! Oh man that's gotta hurt.

PnHi

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 15:12:47 »
Note to self.  Disconnect the battery when changing the fuel filter.  Yearly dues compensated for.

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 09:21:52 »
To be really safe: remove the battery altogether. Simply disconnecting the leads can actually invite trouble.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 12:31:55 »

Hello,

I have a friend who  was cleaning his fuel filter canister with "Brake Kleen" in his garage.  The heavier than air fumes from the "Brake Kleen" drifted along the floor and over to his gas hot water heater in his garage. It ignited the fumes and in an instant he was also holding a flaming fuel filter canister !  Luckily no damage  or injury.   Always use be cautious when dealing with fuel and solvents.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 16:11:25 »
Be careful working around fuel if you still have an old fashioned electric work light with screw-in incandescent bulb.  A mechanic at the dealership next door had a car up on his lift and was dropping a fuel tank to replace an internal fuel pump.  His work light fell from its perch, the bulb shattered and the fumes from the empty tank ignited, along with the car on the lift.  Nobody was injured, but the adjacent cars had blistered paint and the metal roof of the shop had to be partially replaced.

They make special work light bulbs with a plastic coating to prevent shattering, but many folks do not know this and use regular household replacement bulbs  This may be one reason why modern work lights all use florescent units inside a clear plastic case!
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)