Author Topic: Soft Top and Frame Simultaneous Removal  (Read 4272 times)

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
Soft Top and Frame Simultaneous Removal
« on: June 24, 2011, 17:46:03 »
I am in the midst of tearing my 67 230 SL apart to have the engine rebuilt and give the body a minor derusting and bare metal repaint.  My soft top is in very nice condition and fits well so I would like to remove it for the body work and put it back on when all is done.

I searched and found that a couple of you remove your soft tops for winter storage, so I assume that it is not impossible to remove the soft top and frame without disassembly.  My question is, "Is there something I need to know before starting in order, !) not to have it explode in my face, and 2) not to preclude being able to put it back together later?"

I`m mechanically competent, but I don`t know much about convertible top mechanisms.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
Re: Soft Top and Frame Simultaneous Removal
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 20:06:00 »
There are 2 bolts on each side and some shims under the mount.  I would mark the area and keep the shims with each side separate.  You will have to still adjust the top when reinstalling it but marking it will get you close.  Use a helper when taking out the frame to prevent damage.  I think unbolting will be easier with it up and the back piece up.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

DavidBrough

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 10:21:54 »
Hi Tom,

The springs can be quite tricky to remove but they do come off with a bit of positive effort. I use a block of wood to get leaverage with a slim long screwdriver which does the trick. Re setting the window fit and fore and aft position is not difficult when you put it back, just leave the springs off and it's easy. Go to a model shop and buy some plastic card which you can get in various thicknesses and its very easy to make up some extra shims to reset the window fit.

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 19:50:24 »
Thanks Brad and David,

I guess my biggest fear was that there was some pre-tension in the system as a result of stretching the top onto the frame that would relieve itself when I pulled out the bolts, causing the top to fold up like a pretzel, never to be reinstalled.  A little paranoia goes a long way when working on 44 year old cars.
I guess my first step is finding a clean place to store it securely.

I have to admit that stripping the hardtop to the bare bones was not as hard as I thought it would be.  I think you Pagoda guys are spoiled.  You should try restoring a 41 year old V12 2+2 Ferrari, for which parts no longer exist and the original ones are so rare that even finding one to measure so it can be reproduced by hand is almost impossible.

I`m really enjoying this process and the knowledge and documentation that you guys have provided in the forum and in the Technical Manual makes it really easy.

Thanks for the responses.

Tom Kizer

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 23:57:12 »
This is a followup post that might help someone wishing to remove the soft top and frame as one piece without the help of a second person.

1.  With the top up and the windows down, release the rear latch and lift the rear of the soft top to the vertical position, with a pad or felt roll to protect the rear plastic window.  Mine is going to be pretty long term storage.
2.  Remove the two soft top springs.  (Not easy, even with the help of Archimedes and the block of wood mentioned by David)
3.  With appropriate screwdrivers (mine needed three different ones), remove the two large chromed hinge covers that contain the slots for the folding top frame and the holes for the hardtop lockdown pins.
4.  Release the soft top front latches and start folding the soft top a few inches to "bend" the elbow above the side glass a few degrees.
5.  With a 13 mm wrench or socket, remove the four bolts, two on each side, attaching the soft top frame to the car.
6.  Open one of the doors and climb into the area behind the seats (mine is where the kinder seat is).  Stand facing forward between the open soft top compartment cover and the rear of the soft top.
7.  Leaning lightly against the rear of the soft top to keep it from dropping into the storage compartment, reach forward, grip the front of the soft top from behind, and complete the folding of the soft top by folding it up against your body.
8.  Scooping it up with both arms, lift the entire folded soft top assembly off the car and walk out of the opened door, carrying the folded soft top like you carried your wife across the threshhold on your wedding night.  They probably weigh about the same.  Don't bang the end of the soft top frame against the car as you exit.  You will be as disappointed as you would have been had you banged your wife's head against the door frame on your wedding night.
9.  Take it to the place where you wish to store it.  You should probably lay it flat and wrap it in something like a blanket.

Thanks for the help gentlemen.  With the help of everyone's previous and current posts, my stripping of the car is going really well.  I haven't needed any physical help yet, and I'm just an old guy whose testosterone is on the wane.  Beware those Low-T commercials.  I tried it.  It didn't make me stronger, it just made me meaner.

Tom Kizer

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 15:15:16 »
It`s the next morning for me and I just reread that last post.  Item 7 sounds pretty silly.  If one is standing between the soft top compartment lid and the soft top, it`s a little difficult for the top to drop into the storage compartment.  Anyway, standing there keeps the rear of the soft top vertical and makes it easy to fold the soft top completely while it`s outside of the storage compartment.  When you fold it that way, the linkage forces the brackets to lift out of the compartment, making it easy to just walk away with the entire soft top assembly in your arms.  Sorry if I created any confusion or silliness.
Tom Kizer