Author Topic: New Paint and Details  (Read 3568 times)

Atazman

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, Ca, Pleasanton
New Paint and Details
« on: June 17, 2011, 23:15:06 »
Gents......

After about 3 months of prep work, I'm taking my 250 SL in for painting.  In reviewing "details", I came across this "quote" from this forum that I had saved.............

"Also, my early '67 250SL has black rockers and black rocker covers.... rocker cover's had never been removed.

Longtooth
67 250SL US #113-043-10-002163
'02 SL500 Sport"

Can someone please explain to me the difference between "rockers" and "rocker covers"? 

My car (from Italy) had black material (a rocker guard material) along the rocker panels below the door and side of car, even extending behind the rear wheel, and also below the rear bumper across the back.  Although this had a pretty distinctive look to me, I'm not sure all of it (specifically, that behind rear wheels and across the back) was original from the factory.

I would like to understand what my car likely came from the factory with??  My VIN is ........113-043-10-003168.

Appreciate your help.
Don
67 250 Sl
(#3168) from Italy
5-speed/Posi/AC/Kinder

Dutch Pagode

Re: New Paint and Details
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 09:36:01 »
Hello,

Also working on my car a 1964 230 sl
and my rockers are light grey and I think
it is original!!

Henri  ;)

Atazman

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, Ca, Pleasanton
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 16:06:50 »
Thank you, Henri, for the pictures.  I believe my rockers are to be painted the same as the body.  However, I'm uncertain as to whether the black, rocker-guard material (applied after the rockers are painted) is to be applied on the rockers behind the rear wheels, and across the back below the bumper.

Since my first post, I found pictures of an original 280SL that had the rocker-guard material applied only on the underside rockers as far back as the rear wheel well.
Don
67 250 Sl
(#3168) from Italy
5-speed/Posi/AC/Kinder

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 17:07:57 »
Hello Atazman,
 There has been much debate about the SL's rockers and their color on this Forum. Do a search and you will find plenty of info. My rockers are a very dark grey, almost black, while others are a true black. Speculation that the very early early 230 SL's might have been body color has been also stated. The undercoating material (pebbly surface) is only on the rocker cover, not behind the rear wheel, that area is body color. The under side of the car was painted black (in areas that can be seen from the side of the car) after the undercoating was applied and after the body color was sprayed.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

Atazman

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, Ca, Pleasanton
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 23:49:50 »
Thanks, 49er, for the clarification that the under-body material does not go behind the rear wheels.  I have to admit.... I liked the looks of it on mine.   I'm not so much of a purist that I will rule out replacing it.  It would probably provide some rust/chip protection to that area.

I'll be up in your area 4-wheeling my FJ-40 Land Cruiser this coming weekend.
Don
67 250 Sl
(#3168) from Italy
5-speed/Posi/AC/Kinder