Author Topic: Becker radio, antenna replacement  (Read 6065 times)

n/a

Becker radio, antenna replacement
« on: February 11, 2004, 16:06:25 »
Dear Friends,

My 1964 230sl is equipped with a JVC radio/cassette player from the eighties. A true eyesore in this car ! The antenna seems to be the original one i.e. a manual Hirschman. I am planning to replace the radio probably with a Becker Europa mono.

The present antenna is of the type with a lock at the top. I did not get the tiny key that comes with it. I attempted to pull out the mast with a bent clip and other small tools unsucessfully. I think this tiny lock is broken/stuck. Consequently, I would like to replace the antenna.

I have not yet been able to figure out how to take it out. I read all the postings on related subjects but don't get it ! " NAJ" on 9/15/03 mentioned splash guards (metal flap) and kick panel. I am not sure what he is refering to ?

Inside the car, I took out the flexible panel to the right of the passenger's feet and discovered that the antenna area is entirely enclosed with sheet metal. Only a round hole, 1.5" in diameter, gives access to this enclosed space. Not large enough to give access ?

Outside, in the wheel well there is something that looks like a bolted door and is half covered with insulating material. Should I attempt to open it ?

Your inputs will certainly be appreciated...

Jean-Paul Fouillade

230sl 64 manual european
ml430 99

X

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: Becker radio, antenna replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 03:47:33 »
Hi, Jean-Paul,

If your antenna is original and fitted at the right place (320mm [12.6 inches] from the edge of the wing [fender] at the door gap), it will be accessible from the 'inside' of the car. The kick panel is the soft sided panel that you have removed from the right side where the passengers right foot would be.

On my '65 car, there is a big cut out in the inner panel, so you can get your hand around it. Once you undo the nut on the wing (fender?), you can drop the antenna into the cavity and take it out. There may be a small bracket holding the bottom of the antenna tube to the inner panel (often not fitted on light manual antennas).

Maybe someone with an earlier 230 can advise if the cut-out in the panel is there?.

The same panel on the left of the car is solid and I cut a round hole in it to fit a speaker.

If your antenna if fitted further forward, then it could be accessible by removing the splash guard (bolted door) from the wheel arch.

Not much help hey???
naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 03:49:21 by naj »
68 280SL

n/a

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 08:13:19 »
Hi Naj,

Thank you for your detailed explanation. My understanding is now that I will have to make a choice between widening the access hole from inside or open the flap behind the wheel. I would appreciate if someone with an early 230 like mine could tell me if the access hole on his is of the same size i.e. approximately 1.5" in diameter.

Any other comments will be welcome.

Thanks again Naj !

Jean-Paul

X

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 10:06:49 »
Hey Jean-Paul.

Mine is a 1963 and I too have that large access hole. (I just went and checked). You need to do some yoga to actually get to antenna but its in there.

Good luck. Now where's the Advil!

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

n/a

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 12:49:21 »
Hi James,

Thanks for checking !
Rgds,

Jean-Paul

quote:
Originally posted by J. Huber

Hey Jean-Paul.

Mine is a 1963 and I too have that large access hole. (I just went and checked). You need to do some yoga to actually get to antenna but its in there.

Good luck. Now where's the Advil!

James
63 230SL

X