Author Topic: Took 30 years to figure this out...  (Read 2728 times)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Took 30 years to figure this out...
« on: July 05, 2016, 00:53:37 »
So, I bet many of us have wondered where to put our Grande Latte while driving the Pagoda. Of course, cup holders were not an option back then -- and 4 dollar coffee-to-go hadn't even been invented yet!

Oh sure, I have seen folks here make some great holders out of wood, and I personally used a roll of duct tape for awhile... Still, I find myself trying to get the thing secured and half the time it tips or spills...

Well, today I took a wonderful AM Pagoda drive and decided to spin into Starbucks... As I drove away, I balanced the Holy Grail and suddenly it hit me. Down in front of the passenger seat is the handle to move the seat back and forth. It has a slight curve to it and the cup sits in it perfectly! And it is exactly an arms length away! Who knew?

JH 

James
63 230SL

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Re: Took 30 years to figure this out...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 01:48:20 »
James,

Looks like a great idea, hope it works out for you without spills :)

I sort of got used to my cup holder ... and now that I got my wife to take rides with me, I need to clean out the other one too.

Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 22:11:35 »
Well, today I took a wonderful AM Pagoda drive and decided to spin into Starbucks... As I drove away, I balanced the Holy Grail and suddenly it hit me. Down in front of the passenger seat is the handle to move the seat back and forth. It has a slight curve to it and the cup sits in it perfectly! And it is exactly an arms length away! Who knew?

James,
What a superb idea !
I have always been looking for a good location for a Pagoda's cup holder,
and this idea - your idea - is the first one that strikes me ! I am gonna give a try! Can't travel without cup and/or beverage. :o

Personally I always disliked these huge and bulky center consoles that other Pagoda owners "constructed" into their SLs. I have got a stick shift and need a free elbow to shift gears quickly when going uphill the Dolomites in September ... ;) ;D
Also, I don't want to distract the looks of the beautifully renovated center tray.
Thus, your "cupholder place" is the one to go for.
Perhaps "the cup" can be a bit better secured at that spot with the seat's rail handle with a device like pictured below (30 $$).
I'll give it a try and will report later.

Thanks a lot again for your "Holy Grail" input! ;)

All best,

Achim
('64 230 Euro withouth cupholder)
Achim
(Germany)

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 11:51:52 »
Interesting and timely post.  Just yesterday a saw a very nice 250 SL parked in front of my office.  Everything appeared in top condition and very clean so I was puzzled by the roll of duct tape sitting in the storage area between the seats. Now I have a plausible explanation for its presence.