Author Topic: I have two electrical wires that looks like goes to the fuse box.  (Read 470 times)

CJHenderson

• Silver
  • USA, AR, Benton
I have two electrical wires that looks like they go to the fuse box, but I'm not sure. One is labeled transmission low pressure signal - green wire and the other is labeled idle signal - brown/white wire. Before trying to tie into the box I would like to know if I'm doing it the right way
1970 280SL/8 W113 101624 miles.
1950 MG-TD
2021 Harley Davidson CVO Trike

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Not that your question was left unattended...

I was trying to figure out what wires you have there, but failed...

There is brown-white that may relate to idle signal - but it goes to throttle switch, not fuse box. Goes from three way solenoid, transmission.

And I could not find a green one related to transmission and fuse box...
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
According to the wiring schematics:

Green/Red wire comes from the low pressure switches on the gearbox to the constant speed solenoid
Brown/White wire goes from the double solenoid on the gearbox to the idle control/throttle switch
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
Dear Mr. henderson

BobH is right.  Those wires go to your transmission 3 port connector.  You are connecting for sure the emissions control harness I built for you…..

Your main harness already has a branch going to the automatic transmission.  Just route this emissions harness branch in parallel to that one and connect the cable ends on the screwed terminals at the transmission junction/ terminal strip box matching the colours of your existing cables.

Best regards
L.Peterssen
Www.wiredoktor.com

CJHenderson

• Silver
  • USA, AR, Benton
Thanks for clearing up an error that I made. When I passed the wire for the fuse block into the interior the other two wires for the transmission went with it.
1970 280SL/8 W113 101624 miles.
1950 MG-TD
2021 Harley Davidson CVO Trike

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
Dear Mr. Henderson

You are not mistaken. The cables going to transmission enter the cabin as well and are routed along the transmission control MAIN HARNESS branch which is inside the cabin and exits to the transmission bellhousing through an access hole on the transmission tunnel, driver side (left).

Best regards
L.Peterssen

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
Dear Mr. Henderson

You are not mistaken. The cables going to transmission enter the cabin as well and are routed along the transmission control MAIN HARNESS branch which is inside the cabin and exits to the transmission bellhousing through an access hole on the transmission tunnel, driver side (left).

Best regards
L.Peterssen

Are you sure about that? I don't think there is an access hole in the transmission tunnel for wiring.
Please correct me, should I be wrong.
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
I am almost sure, but have not seen it personally.

My conclusion comes from all the harnesses I have serviced so far. The transmission control branch it is always clean and with glue residue which means that it should be running inside the cabin behind the carpet

Best regards
L.peterssen
Www.wiredoktor.com

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
On mine, or at least the way I routed it, the tranny wires do not go trough the trans tunnel on the inside bot along the fire wall in the engine compartment and then braches off to the tranny.
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
That could be also a possible route.

I am just confirming what I see on all automatic transmission loom cables processed so far.

Another approach could be run the automatic transmission wire loom inside the cabin and exit behind the accelerator pedal just above the kickdown switch where I think there is an exit hole on the firewall lower part.

Best regards
L.Peterssen

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
That’s how I have it. Not at car right now. I will check later if no one else chimes in.
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Maybe it is related to cars with emission control system - then I would not know.

In a regular car - there is no transmission related harness inside the cockpit. Other than the illumination of the shifter gate. There is nothing inside the cabin that electrically controls the transmission. Or I am missing something...

There is a pig tale from three way solenoid that connects to the car on the connector plate. The harness from the other side of the plate goes to the engine bay, kick down switch, throttle switch. There is also a green/red wire from one pressure switch to the other and to the CSD. That's it.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class