Author Topic: bouncy speedo  (Read 2873 times)

Ricardo

bouncy speedo
« on: July 13, 2004, 07:56:08 »
Decided I had to check out the possible causes for my erratic speedo. Having read about the transmission output shaft nut being a possible cause, I knew I had to pull the driveshaft and see if this could be one of those cases. I found the nut finger loose and only on by a thread or two. I had problems with my speedo before that were caused by worn parts within the speedo itself but the boucing was different this time and I had started hearing small chirps from under the car while driving that coincided with the needle bouncing.
It is a bit of a chore to grind down a 1 1/16th" deep socket to make the socket for the special nut but otherwise you can't get the required 12-15 mkp(115ft.lbs.)to properly tighten it. I suspect that when I had my engine out to have the head rebuilt 3 years ago that the shop didn't have this socket after changing my tranny seals and probably just used a screwdriver and hammer. I priced the factory tool from MB....$250 cdn.
Speedo nice and steady now
Ricardo

n/a

Re: bouncy speedo
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 11:03:43 »
Ricardo,

I'm about to do this job myself.  Any chance I could borrow the tool you made, or anyone else's that has made one?  Also, what parts, if any, did you or do you recommend replacing on the drive shaft?  Thanks for any advice.

Dan

1965 230 SL Euro 4 speed
2004 230 SLK

Ricardo

Re: bouncy speedo
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 13:05:23 »
Dan
I'd be happy to lend the socket, won't need it again until I finally get to replacing the diff front seal, which is way down the list. I didn't change any other parts, I thought my flex disc looked good and I couldn't tell if the center bearing needed replacing, so didn't at this time. Send me your address and I'll get it on the way
Ricardo
rvvezeau@cyberus.ca