Author Topic: Pagolinux Open-Source-System..?  (Read 3698 times)

ZwoachtzigSL

Pagolinux Open-Source-System..?
« on: March 23, 2005, 01:28:08 »
Hello Pagoda-Friends.

I watch your forum already a whole year. It is terrific if one sees how much know-how many of you have.

Particulary for the injection-system I see, you have much more know-how in USA than in Germany. But otherwise you simply have 8 times more pagodas in the USA.

For example, we sometimes have a problem. Bosch has passed his complete know-how in the early 80th to company BOSCH-Service Koeller & Schwemmer. Result: In Germany today are only a hand-full of  workshops, where one gets its pagoda adjusted or repaired all around correctly.

A pity is. By myself and much of us understands only the half of it what youe write. Sometimes you use technical concepts and words, which we absolutely don't understand here.

Yes, perhaps is somebody under you, who could help me and some friends, to translate some Threats into German?

I would be very pleased, if perhaps someone of you come into our pagoda-forum and would give us interest reports, too:

www.pagodentreff.de

I will speak with our Admins Dominik and Delef, so that install a English topic for it of U.S.–pagoda-driving in our forum.

Now I make a couple of days of vacation by the North Sea. Without my pagoda unfortunately.

The old girl still gets her Anti-Aging-Treatment made in the motor-repair-workshop.

I would be terrific, if I had a couple of nice answers of you after Easter.

Beautiful Easter-Holidays for all of you,

Detlef.

Stern-Garage

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: Pagolinux Open-Source-System..?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 07:50:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by ZwoachtzigSL

Yes, perhaps is somebody under you, who could help me and some friends, to translate some Threats into German?

I would be very pleased, if perhaps someone of you come into our pagoda-forum and would give us interest reports, too:

www.pagodentreff.de

I will speak with our Admins Dominik and Delef, so that install a English topic for it of U.S.–pagoda-driving in our forum.

Perhaps we could provide a German Language forum on this site.  We do call ourselves "The International Club for Mercedes 230SL, 250SL, and 280SL Roadsters".

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

ZwoachtzigSL

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 08:02:58 »
Hello Rodd.

Thank you for your answer.

What I mean is, it would be terrific if could paint a couple of interesting Threads of you, translated into German, brought in by you in the pagodentreff-forum, be.

Much is not simply to translating here.

Detlef

Stern-Garage

George Davis

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 11:53:34 »
I know enough German to be dangerous, but not enough to actually converse.  I also think that some members here are fluent in German.  But even for them, I think translating could take a lot of time, for these reasons:

First, most topics here are handled in a "discussion", which is a very different style from the style of a technical article.  Much wordier and less exact, for instance.  To make the translation effort efficient, the translator would often have to rewrite or edit the discussion to get the point down to a managable level.

Second, we (as do Germans) use a lot of slang and idioms, which are difficult to translate.  There isn't a lot of that, but some.

Third, it takes time to translate, even for one who is fluent.

So, I am not writing to discourage this idea, indeed I'd be happy to do what little I can to help, but what this perhaps points up more than anything else is the potential usefulness of a series of technical articles, which I *think* are being written?  Haven't seen any updates on that lately, but I hope the effort isn't dead.  Technical articles would go far to eliminating the first and second problems above.  Perhaps there needs to be a forum for this "topic" so everyone can keep track of that effort, and maybe jump in and contribute?  Or maybe I just don't know where to look?

In the meantime, perhaps what is most efficient for Detlef and other German speakers is to simply ask their questions, and also ask for clarification when translation is difficult.  I know for myself that translating what I just wrote here would take me an hour, as well as a decent German-English dictionary...

Inzwischen, veilleicht sollen Detlef und andere Deutsch-sprachige Mitglieder Ihre Fragen einfach zu fragen, und auch als noetig um Klaerung zu fragen wann Uebersetzung schwer ist.  Wie immer, wir werden helfen so viel wie wir koennen.  Diese kleine Uebersetzung hat nur 10 Minuten gebraucht...

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 11:57:07 by George Davis »

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 16:17:19 »
Here we go.

When we first started thinking about the topic of putting together The Definitive Pagoda Ownership, Repairs and Maintenance Manual, I had the following thought.

Would it not be fantastic if we could collaborate with the German Pagoda Club on pulling such a manual together. As in: we divide the chapters among the two clubs/groups of volunteers, then proofread each others work and each translate into English and German what the other group had drafted. Much less work than each of us writing the whole thing, PLUS we would pool our collective knowledge and experience from both sides.

Now the formal German Pagoda Club would not hear of it. Maybe the folks at Pagodentreff.de would be interested in such a collaboration? I sometimes post there and also speak and read enough German to get by...

P.S. we have ready a team of 25 volunteers on our side, including some highly experienced ones and even tech manual writing professionals. We are almost ready putting together a WIKI-format website to start working on this effort in a team-facilitated way.

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 16:19:23 by cees klumper »
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 15:54:22 »
Vaccation by the North Sea? Do they still have nude beaches on the isle of Sylt? Don't go too far in the Watten Meer before the tide comes in and drowns you! The man who speaks perfect German and knows all about Pagodas is Gernold Nisius at http://www.sltechw113.com/ The reason for more paodas here is, that in Germany they rust out.
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA