Author Topic: Oil pump 1970 280 SL  (Read 2852 times)

declanobrien

Oil pump 1970 280 SL
« on: April 06, 2010, 19:34:29 »
I note that some photos of the oil pump show 2 brackets from the pump to the crank bolts. My engine has only one bracket. On the 2 bracket photos, there are 2 crank bolts with the special tapped head for the brackets. My engine has only one of these bolts, all the others being standard. My engine has previously been rebuilt by the original owner. Is it possible they forgot to put back the 2nd bracket?, or have some engines one bracket only? Also. is it ok to reuse the gasket between the lower and upper parts of the pump, assuming it is in good order?
Thanks
Declan

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
Re: Oil pump 1970 280 SL
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 00:48:21 »
Late cars with the ribbed oil pan use a different pump than the early cars. I think the early ones use a 108 ( PN ) pump and the later ones use a 114 pump.

Early pumps usually have one bracket and I think the late ones have two. They also have an extra oil pressure relief valve on the pump while the early ones don't. This late pump can only be used with the late ribbed oil pan. If you use this pump on an early engine the rubber baffle at the bottom of the pump will be crushed against the bottom of the pan. The late pan is slightly deeper by about 7 - 8 mm which allows clearance for the new style pump.

I imagine you can use the early pump in a late engine ( you should use the right one of course ) but you can't use the late pump in the early engine. In both cases, each engine has an oil pressure relief valve on the end of the main oil galley at the front which drains into the chain case.
 Although the gage may read 35 PSI at full peg, the pump will deliver much more than that and well over 100 PSI when the engine is really cold. I think the OPRV is set to open at or about 90 PSI. Hot running pressure is usually 60 -75 PSI on fresh engines. I wouldn't drive one with less than full peg at road speed.

So, you have the early pump in all likelyhood. If you have any questions about the pump's condition, get a new one.
Pumps are several hundred dollars so make sure it needs to be replaced. I never take pumps apart as a rule unless they're made of unobtainium and I have no other options. Most builders, including myself, will not warranty a rebuild unless it has a new pump. Some even insist upon a new water pump as well.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

declanobrien

Re: Oil pump 1970 280 SL