Author Topic: Couple of lighting Questions  (Read 5590 times)

dldubois

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
Couple of lighting Questions
« on: May 31, 2008, 14:34:05 »
I've been trying to track down an electrical issue for awhile and its tied to fuse 1.    Couple of questions I have on my 69sl.  If I turn the headlight switch to the two left most positions shouldn't I be turning just the parking lights on for each side of the car?  seems like my last 280 did this but nothing on this one.  Also if I pull on the turn signal stalk (towards me) shouldn't that cause the highbeams to flash?   I'm thinking these are related to my engine drain issues and am currently working through the wiring.  thanks.
Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: Couple of lighting Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 15:08:31 »
Yes, the two left-most positions on the headlight switch should control just the clearance lights (left-only and right-only).

Not sure about the 280SL, but the high-beam in my 230SL is activated by stepping on the little toggle-switch on the far-left of the firewall. Does a 280SL also have this switch?
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

dldubois

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 16:07:31 »
Waqas
I've got the switch on the floor to turn them on but just to flash and pass you could use the stalk.  Thanks for the confirmation.
Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 16:39:36 »
The "Flash and Pass" stalk function works on Euro cars...the Flash and Pass is disconnected on USA version cars. Instructions to reconnect this function are elsewhere on these Forums or the Tech Manual.

Note that this comment might be incorrect: The Clearance light function works with Euro headlights not USA style lights. The key must be out of the ignition for the clearance lights to work.

Take a look at "Headlights" in the Tech Manual.

Richard M, NYC
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 17:53:29 by 280SL71 »
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 16:49:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by 280SL71

The Clearance light function works with Euro headlights not USA style lights. The key must be out of the ignition for the clearance lights to work.
This is not the case with my U.S. 250 SL and to the best of my knowledge, no one has monkeyed with the car to enable this capability.  Both the front and rear lights have a bulb for the clearance lights and they function as described by the original poster.  Also, mine work if they key is in the ignition.  FYI.  Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 04:28:45 »
Scott,

quote:
Also, mine work if they key is in the ignition. FYI. Scott

I think he meant 'ignition on'

When you turn the ignition 'on', the switch cuts the power to the clearance lights.

naj
68 280SL