Author Topic: First post: Time to pull the head and rebuild?  (Read 295 times)

sjwelna

• Junior Level
  • USA, WI, Eau Claire
First post: Time to pull the head and rebuild?
« on: May 07, 2024, 02:46:40 »
First post here guys.  Back story, going through my dad's '65 230sl trying to get it running again.  Went through and did all the filters/fluids I could find.  Car needs some work and hasn't run for probably 20 years.  Everything has been easy peasy until I tried to turn it over....

Pulled plugs, blasted out a lot of chunky/crusty white debris out of cylinder 6.  (I think that's 6, closest one to the firewall).  Put some oil on top of the cylinders to try and turn it over a little to get some new oil pushing through.  Starter goes clunk, engine is frozen up tight.  Bought an boroscope and here is what cylinder 6 looks like after blowing out all the bulk chunks.  The other 5 cylinders are looking pretty good, but I'm thinking the head gasket went on it and leaked coolant into the rear-most cylinder.  I've tried to manually turn the motor over from the crank bolt and also tried with one rear tire off the ground.  No dice, it's locked up tight.  I actually loosened the crank bolt trying to wiggle the crank both directions if that gives you any idea of how locked it is.  I have a ton of PB blaster soaking the top of the pistons at the moment but I'm assuming at this point it needs to have the head pulled, head gasket replaced, and have a good look at that rear cylinder.  I can probably take the head to a machine shop to hot tank and clean it up. 

What would you do?  The ugly pics are the rear most cylinder, I put in a few others of the other cylinders that look much better. 
1965 230sl

sjwelna

• Junior Level
  • USA, WI, Eau Claire
Re: First post: Time to pull the head and rebuild?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2024, 02:47:46 »
Here are a couple pictures of the gas tank that is showing a good bit of rust internally.
1965 230sl

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2024, 12:16:06 »
Looks like you're going to need to rebuild the engine.
You'll know for certain once you get the head off.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2024, 12:51:36 »
This is a no-brainer, seriously. The engine will need to be rebuilt. The gas tank replaced. Though not mentioned your fuel injection pump will almost certainly need to be rebuilt…and my guess is the fuel feed pump too…
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2024, 15:43:07 »
Your issue may be that cylinder 6 could be damaged beyond repair (boring). Sleeving may be a possibility in that case to save the engine block according to prior discussions here on this subject. Fingers crossed it's not that bad. As Michael said, check the entire fuel system and hope parts can be salvaged.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

sjwelna

• Junior Level
  • USA, WI, Eau Claire
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2024, 21:33:00 »
My plan is to pull the head and have a look.  I'm assuming a full rebuild at this point.  If by some miracle the pistons unstick I'll be able to get a better look at the #6 cylinder walls, but I'm assuming that cylinder is in bad shape and may need to be sleeved.  Not my first time pulling a motor apart but it's been a while....I'll post some pics once I have the head off and can get better pictures.
1965 230sl