Author Topic: Power steering pump belt  (Read 3388 times)

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
Power steering pump belt
« on: December 31, 2010, 05:51:03 »
I went to replace my M130 power steering pump belt. After loosening the three cap screws and moving pump as far as I could toward the engine, the belt was still too tight to slip off the pulleys. The belt is a 13 x 750 which I believe is correct. The pumps screws had very little adjustment left, but I felt like the pump body had bottomed out on the frame. I even used a pry bar gently to make sure I was at the end of the adjustment.

I found an old thread about this issue where they had to slip a new belt on the crank pulley and rotate the engine to get it on the pump pulley. This doesn't seem like it should have to come to that. Has anybody else had this same problem and what was your solution?

I kept the old belt on for now and tightened it down. I noted that the adjustment screws were about in the middle of their range at this point. I supposed you could use a slightly longer belt if available.

Thanks for your help!
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Re: Power steering pump belt
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 09:18:36 »
Same problem, had to pull the pulley off the pump. There is very little clearance to do this even with the radiator out.
Eventually found a suitable puller on e-bay. Not a job to be done on the side of the road!!
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

280SE Guy

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, PA, Birdsboro
    • some pics
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 12:41:30 »
Wallace,

I had the same situation when replacing all of my belts last spring. The solution, after confirring with my Mercedes mechanic, was to cut the old belt off. You would then place the new belt on the crank pulley then on the top of the power steering pulley as far as you can then place a 27mm 1/2" drive short socket on the crank pulley with a 3" extension and a 1/2" drive ratchet. Turn the ratchet clockwise (when looking at the front of the engine) until the belt mounts the power steering pulley. If you feel you need to have a spare belt just buy another one.

Regards,

280SE Guy
1971 280SE, 6 Cyl MFI, Anthracite Grey with Grey MB Tex

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 04:08:40 »
Thanks for the replies. That makes me feel much better. It just seems like everyone would have this same problem since the power steering is a common feature. I wouldn't think that there are many variations on the pump mounting.

I am going to look for a slightly longer belt like maybe 760mm or 762mm. Since I still have about 13mm of adjustment left, the belt still should tighten up but yet be long enough to come off more easily. I'll let you know if I find something that works.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6