Author Topic: tachometer sticking issue?  (Read 4393 times)

xcashewx

tachometer sticking issue?
« on: July 21, 2009, 03:28:16 »
the tach on my 67 230 used to make some distrubing noises, as well as not go past the 3200 mark. i replaced the tach cable which stopped the noises and sprayed some lube into the connection on the tach, when accelerating fast the tach will go past 3200, but when going on the freeway (slowly building up speed) it sticks again at 3200 and wont nudge past, it sticks there until i decelerate to about 55 and give the tach a nice flick.
would this be maybe a lubrication issue, or does the tach require a rebuild?

SteveK

Re: tachometer sticking issue?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 03:52:19 »
I had all of the same issues, mine stuck at 4000.  When it started to squeel I replaced the cable (which didn't help), so then I sent it off to North Hollywood Spedo.  It came back as good as new for $140.   I also had them rebuild my clock at the same time with a quartz movement.  I actually wish I had also sent them my spedo.  (I can see the difference between the clean glass and face on the tack over the slightly dirty glass and face on the spedo)

Allenh

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 16:50:51 »
One thing to be aware of is motor oil.  If the seal at the engine that keeps the oil in the engine and not in the Tach cable does not work like it should, oil will walk up the cable and eventually enter the indicator mechanism of the instrument. Initially some sticking followed by no movement.  You can see this by inspecting the tach where the cable attaches.  if there is oil present- its fouled.  I had this issue and by cleaning the cable and housing, applying a little synthetic lube, JUST a little, and disassembling the instrument and using a good volatile solvent cleaner it functions like new.  Keeping the cable serviced will keep the problem away.  Some of us can afford to send everything out for repair, those of us who need to repair our issues ourselves should find this a difficulty level of three out of ten.

Allen

xcashewx

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 19:14:16 »
i noticed that actually quite a bit of oil comes out of the top of the revcounter housing.  & are you applying the lube to the cable and housing, or just the cable? and im not to familiar with the tach workings so how should i go about cleaning the instrument of all the oil and such that has gotten into it?
and thank you for the advice, its greatly appreciated! its nice to hear a cheaper alternative than simply sending it away.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 07:26:49 by Peter van Es »

Allenh

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 23:10:02 »
Cleaning the cable and housing is important.  But running the cable dry will cause, of course, failure due to lack of lubrication.  Cleaning the oil and lubing with grease will help to block the movement of engine oil up the cable.

The instrument is another issue.  The only way to get into the mechanism where you must clean it is to remove the rear cover under the rubber cover.  To do this you need to carefully pry up the pressed inside lip of the chrome bezel.  You need to go slowly and unlock a little over half of it.  Then you can carefully encourage the bezel up and nudge it towards the un-unlocked side and slip it off.  It is a bit difficult to do it this way but when you reassemble the bezel, half will be as tight as when is was originally made and it make it much easier to duplicate this tension when re-pressing the lip.

Anyhow, once the glass is removed, take out the two screws holding the mechanisim to the rear cover and take what you can aprt.  it is a magnetic drive so besure no steel or iron filings or chips get close to it and simply bleast it with a good solvent.  A little grease on the input shaft so it doesn;t run bare- reassemble.  It should work like a charm.   I was unable to obtain new seals for the engine tach adapter, i am still trying to find a reliable solution.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Allen

xcashewx

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 22:36:08 »
got it fixed! took it apart and there was a lot of black sludge, cleaned it out gave it some lube and it works like new again! thanks for the advice allen,sure saved me some cash

Allenh

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 01:29:00 »
Your Welcome, but you are the one who fixed it.  Good job!

Allen