Author Topic: noisy top gear  (Read 1188 times)

Melburnian

noisy top gear
« on: April 10, 2020, 04:19:02 »
My car is a 1964  230sl manual. The gearbox is noisy when cruising  in top gear.
Should I be worried? Or is it wear and old age.  Gearbox rebuild needed?.
I'm a little concerned that to continue driving will lead to failure.

Aaron h

Re: noisy top gear
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 08:42:27 »
Are you certain that it's the gear box and not the final drive?  If you're certain it's the gear box, then that means it could be one of 7-8 bearings within the gearbox itself.  Obviously, you'd want to renew all bearings and synchronizers if it has to be opened up.  However, since you mention it gets noisy in 4th gear that tells me that one of the 4 carrier bearings (two for main shaft and two for countershaft) is the culprit. 

If you're hearing bearing noise, then it's only a matter of time before a bearing fails entirely.  It could be tomorrow, or it could be 5 years from now.  There is no accurate way to gauge when it'll fail.....but know that it will.  And yes, they wear from wear and old age, but wear is also hastened from oil starvation, not changing the oil regularly, using gear oil instead of automatic transmission oil, misuse, or any combination of the above.  So at some point in the near future a thorough going through of the gear box will be necessary. 

If you aren't able to do the work yourself make sure that you find someone capable.  Various tolerances must be adhered to.  Namely, end float of the main shaft and counter shaft (this assures proper meshing of the gear teeth and quietness).  The only specialty tool required is a slotted nut socket to remove the rear yoke and one of the gears on the mainshaft.  There is no alternative to these tools unless you make your own.  Again, make sure that whoever does the job is knowledgeable about these gear boxes, has the tools, and has the ability to understand how and why end float is necessary to set correctly. 

jeffc280sl

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 17:02:01 »
been a few tears since i rebuilt my tranny.  do you hear the noise when cruising in 1, 2 and 3?  what about the noise when accelerating and decelerating?  how is shifting up and down?

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 15:20:11 »
Yes, most likely one or more of the main bearings is damaged. In additions to the synchros, gaskets, seals and bearings, There are two shaft woodruff keys which wear or get damaged. They are inexpensive. These should be replaced also. One is on the lower shaft and there is another small one in the upper gear cluster. Gears on the lower gear cluster most likely will have to be "pressed-off" to replace the lower key.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Melburnian

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 01:33:24 »
I only notice it in 4th gear Jeff. Possibly also in lower gears but it's most obvious when you're cruising in  top. I will take it for a run and listen carefully in each gear.