Author Topic: replacing rubber sleeve on propeller shaft  (Read 2017 times)

jan lauwers

• Senior
  • Belgium, Antwerpen, Geel
replacing rubber sleeve on propeller shaft
« on: August 10, 2016, 11:37:13 »
Hi guys,

Something that I thought was going to be a quick and easy job, turned out to be problematic for me. I really hope somebody can help me out here, because I must be doing something wrong and I can’t figure it out.

My engine and AT (280SL, AT Jan 69) are still out so I have easy access to the propeller shaft. I wanted to replace the worn rubber sleeve in the middle connection of the propeller shaft. The new sleeve comes from SLS in Germany. (see pic).

First I had tremendous problems fixing the sleeve on the collar of the sleeve nut. It was so difficult that I started to think that the rubber sleeve that I had bought was of the wrong size, too tight. Then I tried to slide the sleeve and the nut together over the splines of the sliding section of the shaft. This was again so tight that I ended up tearing the new sleeve. Moreover, how would it ever be possible to tighten the sleeve nut without twisting and tearing the rubber? It is sitting so tight around the shaft that it will never turn together with the nut…? What am I doing wrong here guys? Would it be better if I took out the complete shaft, i.e. debolt it from the dif?

I have 2 more questions on the propeller shaft:

1/ I separated the front and the rear part without marking them. Shame on me, I read about the balance too late. What should I do, just put them back together and hope that they are still in balance?

2/ In the front end of the shaft, by the flex disc, there is a nipple and a grease chamber. I don’t understand why that should be greased since the 2 axes always turn same Rev’s together, since the 2 flanges (AT and shaft) are bolted together… no?

Thanks again gentlemen.
Jan

Jan Lauwers, Geel, Belgium 

White 280 SL 1969