Author Topic: Adding Food Dye to Brake Fluid  (Read 4977 times)

Hawaii

Adding Food Dye to Brake Fluid
« on: February 17, 2010, 01:59:11 »
Can anyone see any harm in adding a few drops of food dye to my brake fluid during a complete flush so that I can see when the old stuff is gone and the new stuff is flowing?  I can't imagine that a couple of drops of food dye would substantially impact the boiling point or compressibility of the brake fluid but I thought I should ask the experts.  Thanks

Andy
1971 280SL

graphic66

Re: Adding Food Dye to Brake Fluid
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 16:39:15 »
I wouldn't add anything to brake fluid. Just use a clear tube and a clear glass container and you can tell when the new stuff is coming through. The old stuff is slightly yellowed with age sometimes. I suck out all the old stuff out of the master cyl. reservoir with my mighty vac first, or the turkey baster, then add the new fluid and start bleeding. Just watch your glass jar and you will see the new stuff coming out.

RickM

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 16:53:03 »
NO, do not add food coloring.
It contains water and brake fluid is Hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water and = No Good. Water lowers the boiling point of the fluid and the coloring/water content may very well compromise the lubrication and oxidation prevention properties of the brake fluid.

Graphic66 has good advice.
For those who flush often a trick is to alternate between ATE Super Blue and Gold as these high performance brake fluids are properly formulated in different colors.

Be careful if you consider going to another DOT designation as there may be incompatibility issues.

Good brake fluid info site: http://www.stealth316.com/2-brakefluid.htm
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 18:27:20 by RickM »

Hawaii

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 18:18:34 »
OK, thanks for the advice.  This is why I ask before I implement my sometimes crazy ideas.  I will buy proper blue brake fluid.