Author Topic: 1969 280SL automatic transmission issue  (Read 8483 times)

Valvechatter

1969 280SL automatic transmission issue
« on: October 27, 2013, 01:53:04 »
Hi folks, as some of you know I purchased my car a few months ago. Most of my posts have been about fixing small things, often cosmetic. Well now I have my first significant mechanical problem. Hoping someone can offer some explanations for my current predicament. I am a decent hobbyist mechanic having restored a couple of British cars, but I am new to MB and know almost nothing about automatic transmissions. So, with that background here is what I experienced today.

Had not started the 280 in about two weeks. I jumped in the car, turned the key and the car started immediately. After letting it warm up for a few minutes, I shifted into reverse and backed out of the garage. I then shifted into drive (4th) and gave the car a little gas. Instead of easing forward, the car backed up! I tried some other forward gears with no effect. Car still moved backwards. I shifted into park and the car still moved in reverse. I then put the car in neutral and made the mistake of turning off the ignition. After thinking about the problem for a few minutes and coming up with nothing, and still in neutral, I tried to turned the ignition on only to find that the car would not start - just dead, doesn't fire at all. Then shifted into park and tried to start. Again, nothing - ignition light on, fuel pump pumping, but no firing.

I was able to put the car into neutral and push the it back into the garage. Never had any crunching of gears, no sounds from the transmission. It shifts normally from gear to gear, but I cannot tell if the car might go forward under power or not, because the car will not start.

Any suggestions for what I might explore before the flat bed is called?

Thanks very much.

Lin

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: 1969 280SL automatic transmission issue
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 03:51:42 »
Hello Lin,

Your shifter linkage rod has become dis-connected.  The plastic bushings on the ends go bad. Order one for each end. You will be able to see the linkage rod from under the car. Some plastic wire ties may temporarily get you back on the road.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Valvechatter

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 11:47:58 »
Joe,
Thank you very much! I shall place an order today and hopefully get back on the road next weekend. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Lin

Valvechatter

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 14:52:45 »
Hi Joe,
A quick follow-up. Sorry for this rookie question, but I cannot go look at my car at the moment. I keep the 280 in a secure rented garage - not at my home.

My primary question is how accessible is the shift rod for replacement of the end bushes? I have a four post lift in my home garage, but to get the car there I will need to winch it on to my trailer, bring the car home, and then get it on to the lift. However, if the linkage is easy to get to under the car, it would be much easier to jack up the car where it is, put it on some jack stands, and lying on my back make the repair.

May I expect my electrical ignition problem to be fixed when I fix the rod bushings, and have a properly connected linkage.  Or, will I need to do something else? I looked through the technical manual and didn't find much on this subject. Although, I did find an image showing a new bushing in the rod with instructions to put the small opening of the bush toward the transmission.

Thanks very much!
Lin

Neil Thompson

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Louth
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 21:37:12 »
Lin this happened to me as well as other forum members, chances are the car can be jacked up and the rods reconnected temporarily and held together with cable ties, the gears should now work  and the car will start in neutral but select gears slowly and carefully with no manual racing changes til you get it fixed properly!

Neil
1964 230 SL RHD DB304 Horizon Blue
1957 190 SL RHD DB180 Silver
1988 R107 300 SL RHD DB199 Blue Black
1978 C123 230C 2dr Auto RHD Silver

mnahon

• Silver
  • Canada, QC, Montreal
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 04:58:01 »
I had this happen to me not long ago. There are two bushings on the rod that runs fore-aft from the transmission to the shift lever---one on each end. Same bushing, costs $5-$10. The forward one is accessible from underneath. It can be done with the car on jack stands.  The aft one I was only able to reach from inside the car. I had to pull out some of the carpeting, remove the handbrake lever, at which point I could access the screws that hold the automatic shift console. The linkage is just below that.

It's not a huge job, but it's not much fun pulling out the carpets; you can damage them easily. On that point, in my car, there was felt padding below the carpeting. It works better not to try to tear the carpet off the padding, especially if it's glued on. Pull them both off together. I damaged my carpet a little before realizing this.
Meyer Nahon
Montreal, Canada
1968 MB 280SL Auto Euro LHD Silver
2021 Tesla Model 3

Valvechatter

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 03:04:38 »
Just wanted to say "thank you" to those of you who responded to my questions about the transmission problem I encountered. As I have said, I am new to Mercedes and to the 280Sl, and particularly to automatic transmissions. Those who suggested that the problem was the plastic bushings in the shift linkage were exactly right. When I got under the car it was immediately obvious that the lower bushing on the linkage was the culprit. I ordered a couple of bushings from Tom Hanson and did the replacement work today. Repair now complete and I am back on the road!  My deep appreciation for the help.

Lin