Author Topic: Automatic transmission linkage..is there more to this?  (Read 8502 times)

Sept

Automatic transmission linkage..is there more to this?
« on: September 17, 2016, 20:16:34 »
'71 280 SL..automatic

My automatic transmission shift linkage has disconnected from the cabin mechanism to the gear selector rod under the car ( see photo attached ).  I've searched through the postings and see a reference to plastic bushings and Budz Benz as a source. This "nob" on the end of the connection from the cabin to the gear selector rod seems very short.  (The short nob above the  "bushing" text.  Is there more to this than shown here and has it broken off some?  How do these two normally stay attached?

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
Re: Automatic transmission linkage..is there more to this?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 21:15:41 »
Quote from: Sept
.../...My automatic transmission shift linkage has disconnected.../...  How do these two normally stay attached?
Try this old but perhaps useful thread http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=3717.msg22543#msg22543
Also, you can watch Ken Bergsma describing the fix (and preventive maintenance) here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiI7hQ1Pjwc
/Hans S
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 12:46:19 by mbzse »
/Hans S

Sept

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 02:23:41 »
Thanks.  The bushing seems to have deteriorated which makes me wonder about any other ones that can't be seen also.  Buds Benz sells a replacement kit.

Sept

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 16:18:39 »
After sending Buds Benz a copy of the photo they inform me there are only two bushings in this linkage. This car was built in the late stages of the 113 series and must have a less complicated linkage system than some of the diagrams I've seen, certainly less complicated than some of the manual linkages I've seen.

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 18:44:56 »
Use this tool to install the bushing.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

Mike K

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • South Africa, Gauteng, Johannesburg
    • Mike Kirkinis
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 19:34:16 »
Had a similar issue last year with my late production 1971 280SL auto and I followed the procedure in the link that Hans posted here.
I softened the bushing in hot water, then used liquid soap on the bushing and a flat nose vise grip to clamp all into place.
If I recall correctly the bushing fits 1 way only.

While you're at it I suggest that you also check the upper gear shift bushings accessed from inside the car.
I'll post a link and pics tomorrow.

Best,

Mike
Feb. 1971 Mercedes 280SL Auto  LHD (Last of W113 Series)
Aug. 1989 Mercedes R107 300SL RHD (Last of R107 Series)
http://michali.zenfolio.com
http://www.lebombo-safaris.com

Sept

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 23:19:14 »
Buds Benz is sending me two bushings and I plan to replace both of them. I'm interested in the pictures as I wonder how the second would be accessed inside the car.

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 23:51:15 »
Remove the center carpet and you will see 4 bolts holding the shift lever.  Remove them and pull the entire assembly.  You can then work on a work bench and replace the bushings.  Then slip it back in and make the last connection under the car.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

Sept

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 11:19:35 »
Thanks for the reference, I looked further into Hans link.  Yes this describes what happened to my car. One question, Trice suggested wiring the "whole mess" with some lock wire, not sure what he's referring to as lock wire.

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 17:27:21 »
I imagine that's a reference to mechanic's wire or similar. I might use a repair like that to get myself home but would not rely on it for very long.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Sept

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 16:00:09 »
I believe he was suggesting after putting the bushings in to use the lock wire as a back up to keep from having to pull the linkage system out in the future should a bushing fail. I wouldn't consider this as a permanent fix.

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 17:40:58 »
On the transmission end there is still some of the bushing left on there so be sure to remove it before trying to press the new bushing onto the ball on the transmission.

Sept

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 15:32:33 »
In looking at this closer from inside the car it looks like the hand emergency brake needs to be disconnected in order to get the tunnel carpet away from the shift gate plate.  Am I not looking at this correctely?

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 16:29:06 »
I don't recall disconnecting the E brake.  It is close but should come out past the handle.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

Mike K

• Inactive
  • Silver
    • Mike Kirkinis
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2016, 08:51:08 »
I did this last year, you don't have to disconnect the hand brake, just lift and fold the carpet over.

While you're doing this you can remove the whole assembly, clean and renew all the bushings. It's relatively straightforward.
I used a piece of wire wrapped around the linkage coming up from below, to stop it from falling away while I connected the upper bushing between this linkage from below and the gear selector shaft above from inside the car.

I found some pics below.

Best,
Mike
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 12:08:36 by Mike K »

Mike K

• Inactive
  • Silver
    • Mike Kirkinis
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2016, 08:59:02 »
Some more pics. I also renewed the rubber protecting grommet which was trashed.

Sept

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2016, 12:30:25 »
Thanks Mike.. no one had mentioned disconnecting the e brake.  When I first started to do this it was apparent the carpet was going to be very difficult to get past the e brake or return it if it did slip past the e brake.  It looks like you used a grease to fill the coupling area where the shift lever enters the housing? When your you did this was the bottom bushing disconnected from the transmission connection?

Mike K

• Inactive
  • Silver
    • Mike Kirkinis
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2016, 15:08:05 »
It looks like you used a grease to fill the coupling area where the shift lever enters the housing?

When I opened it all up, I found that there was a whole lot of old gooey grease, so I figured that's how it should be. Cleaned it all out and renewed the grease.

When your you did this was the bottom bushing disconnected from the transmission connection?
As far as I recall it wasn't disconnected.

Here's the procedure I used:

#1: Lift carpet & remove the 4 bolts that hold the gear cover plate in place, you have to also remove the gear knob- wrap the shifter lever with a towel, grip it gently with a pair of pliers or vise grip & gently tap upwards with a hammer. You also have disconnect the small light bulb that sits under the cover plate & illuminates the numbers on the cover plate. I also took the opportunity to replace this light bulb at this point.

#2: I then removed the 4 bolts that hold the housing in place, lifted the housing up & disconnected the bushing between the lower linkage & gear selector shaft. Prior to removing the bushing & disconnecting the linkage, I secured the linkage which comes into the car from below, with a wire which I tied to the hand brake handle to keep the linkage from dropping out of sight...
Then lifted the housing out, cleaned and replaced bushings all round and reassembled.

Finally softened the linkage bushing in hot water and used liquid soap and a long nose vise grip to reconnect the linkage and gear selector shaft
with the bushing and then bolted the assembly back in place, added grease and closed it all up.

Hope this helps.

Mike
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 15:23:42 by Mike K »

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2017, 05:18:39 »
Hello. I am tacking on to this thread with my very recent linkage bushing saga. Ironically, I gave advice in the old thread from 2005 mentioned here -- now I need the advice!

So a few days ago, when pulling out of my garage, my auto shifter went floppy. Darn it. I knew the culprit instantly, as I had lived this previously for the first time in about 2003. Like that time, this was the bottom bushing that apparently gave way. The "new bushing" lasted a mere 14 years...I had a mechanic do it.

Then, about 2 years ago the top bushing crumbled leaving me stranded -- but with the help of the tech manual and forum I got in there and replaced it myself. Perhaps I should have done both ends at once but I really figured the bottom one was "already replaced."

So here is where I need help. It strikes me as very tight to crawl under the car to do the pressing of the lower bushing and reattaching the rod to the transmission. Even on jacks, it may be over my head (in more ways than one)... Or am I missing the boat? Is it even done in situ? Does the shifter in car need to be disassembled and the rod attached from above? I am wondering if it would be more wise to tow the thing to the mechanic and call it good?

Just asking for thoughts. Thanks. Take a look at what 14 years does to a nylon bushing... The smaller spindle side is essentially gone although bushing is still in one piece.

James

James
63 230SL

Sept

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2017, 11:58:21 »
The bottom linkage connection is not easy to reach unless the car is on jack stands or on a lift.  It can be done but you will be prone on the ground reaching to about midway the width of the car from the drivers side.  I had the lower one replaced at a local shop that put it up on their lift. 

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 14:41:50 »
I'm not sure if this answers your question, but here goes.
To replace both bushings, I removed the shifter and linkage rod from inside the car.
Then replaced the upper bushing on a bench connecting the shifter to the rod.
Installed the shifter with rod hanging down into the car.
Got under the car and installed the lower bushing.
All very straightforward and accessible (at least when compared to the heater controls replacement  ;D  ).
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold