Author Topic: Help on a transmission front input seal  (Read 3507 times)

AllenF

Help on a transmission front input seal
« on: March 01, 2017, 17:30:56 »
Hi Folks,

I am replacing the front seal on my 66 230SL automatic transmission, and the seal that came out had a wider flange than the replacement, and the new seal sits all the way to the back of the cavity.  I was wondering if any of you have seen this?  I am worried that the shaft from the torque converter won't penetrate the seal completely.   The seal is too loose to leave spaced out from the back of the seating cavity of course.  I took some measurements and the penetration of the shaft is just not deep enough for comfort if you know what I mean...

This is a factory MB seal FWIW...

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Allen

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Mossel Bay, South Africa
Re: Help on a transmission front input seal
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 19:55:13 »
Hi Allen,
It is not clear where you got the replacement seal from, but if it does not look right, it probably is not.
However, it is possible that during the last 50 years, the oil seal has worn a miniscal groove in the shaft, and that a thinner seal could run on an undamaged section of the shaft.
I would also like to point out that those seals are available with double lips. They are therefor wider and obviously have two sealing lips.
So, if you cant find a seal as wide as the original, consider a 'double lips' seal, which would have a similar width as the original, plus the advantage of two sealing lips, possibly running on undamaged surfaces.
Regards
Chris
28 Ford Model A Pickup
29 Chevy Phaeton
67 E Type FHC
67 250SL 5 speed
83 911SC
2015 VW T5 California Pop Top

AllenF

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 00:04:44 »
Not sure where I would find such a seal.  This seal came from Mercedes.   But I agree it doesn't feel right.

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 01:54:47 »
Allen,
If the seal came from Mercedes, I suppose it should be correct. You should be able to get replacement seals from any bearing shop.
However, it might be a good idea to hang on and see if you get any further comments on your post.
Regards
Chris
28 Ford Model A Pickup
29 Chevy Phaeton
67 E Type FHC
67 250SL 5 speed
83 911SC

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 06:19:26 »
I think they are intended to just be installed flush and not be driven all the way back.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 10:05:55 »
EPC shows part number of 008 997 91 46  for that gearbox. 

AllenF

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 00:38:55 »
Thanks Joe,

That seems right in terms of the geometry of the seal, but it feels like it's squirrely in that position.  I was using Curit T to seal it but perhaps I need to do the ugly permatex thing to hold it in place. I actually contemplated cutting down a second seal and putting it behind as a stop.   I just don't want to be yanking out the tranny for something so simple.

Thanks for the help.    Here's a photo of the project so far.  This car fell into the wrong hands at one point and the previous owner had someone put a 250SE motor (and motor mounts) and they creatively punched out the hood to make the engine fit.  Thankfully I had a spare hood and the ability to weld, shape and make it fit.   

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 06:32:20 »
Allen,
If the seal sits squirrely, there is something wrong. It should sit 'squarely'  and securely. No permatex or sealer 'to hold it in place'.  Unless you are willing to remove the gearbox and replace the seal within the first 500 miles.

I like your project, enjoy.

Regards
Chris
28 Ford Model A Pickup
29 Chevy Phaeton
67 E Type FHC
67 250SL 5 speed
83 911SC

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 12:12:39 »
There are 3 numbers cast into the seal.  Something like 45  63  10  that is the size if the inner shaft size(45)  outer diameter(63) and thickness(10).  You could  search for a seal with a higher last number and see if you can find one.  In this example I would do a Google search of 45 63 seal and see what comes up.  You night even find a flanged one.

AllenF

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 04:09:04 »

That's a good tip.  Thanks,

I managed to get the seal perched towards the outer end of the collar, but I will hunt for one of these wider versions just in case.  The one that came out had a bare metal seat and was definitely deeper.