Author Topic: electronic ignition *installed*  (Read 20948 times)

Ann

electronic ignition *installed*
« on: September 19, 2007, 16:57:17 »
Today I had my mechanic install the Crane electronic ignition. He also installed the K & N air filter (as you guys suggested),and set the timing, filled up the fluids, etc. and I was off!

I drove it around several blocks before taking the longer drive home.

I could not believe what a difference! No more chugging when I step on the gas pedal. It seems to be quieter, and goes forward easier, with more *go* and without  the *pouting* and reluctance.

Whoo Hoo!  

Thanks, guys. :)

Ann

'70 Euro 280 SL silver
'06 BMW Z4 Montego Blue
'98 Jeep Gr.Cherokee (125K mi.)

jeffc280sl

Re: electronic ignition *installed*
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 17:10:23 »
Congrats Ann!  What's next?

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

Douglas

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 17:39:46 »
Ann,

It's good to hear about your progress. You've mentioned a few problems over the past couple of months and I've wondered how you've made out.

Now it's time to share some pix of the beast!

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 20:39:09 »
Wow, Ann, you (and your mechanic) work darn fast! Wasn't it just yesterday you were asking for info on electronic ign? It would take me longer just to read the replies, let alone order the parts!

Anyway, glad you are going for it! You will enjoy having a car that runs the way it was supposed to...

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

benzportland

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 16:17:14 »
Hi Ann - I was wondering if you (or anyone else) who has had electronic for awhile is still happy with it?  I would really like to get it and it seems pretty inexpensive, but when I called my shop I unfortunately got put through to the grumpy mechanic  :(  and he does not want to do it.  He insisted that on the W113's he has serviced, he tears out any electronic he can find and replaces it with points.  He said if I wanted my car to run smoother, I need to get stiffer sidewall tires, and questioned my thinking for even considering electronic.  

Anyone have any thoughts, besides the obvious (keeping the car original) on his aversion to electronic?  

quote:
Originally posted by Ann

Today I had my mechanic install the Crane electronic ignition. He also installed the K & N air filter (as you guys suggested),and set the timing, filled up the fluids, etc. and I was off!

I drove it around several blocks before taking the longer drive home.

I could not believe what a difference! No more chugging when I step on the gas pedal. It seems to be quieter, and goes forward easier, with more *go* and without  the *pouting* and reluctance.

Whoo Hoo!  

Thanks, guys. :)

Ann

'70 Euro 280 SL silver
'06 BMW Z4 Montego Blue
'98 Jeep Gr.Cherokee (125K mi.)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 16:39:59 »
Ann, Benz--

I've had both on my W113 and there are pros and cons to both.  The Pertronix is on there now.

First, to the big "cons": the purists will you, "What happens if you get stuck on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere when your electronic system fails?"  Some I know, this has actually happened to!

The answer to that is simple: keep a spare.  Any electronic system is infinitely more reliable than a mechanical system; something about "moving parts".  No car made today has a conventional system (well maybe some Russian cars or something).

At about $100 for either a Pertronix or a Crane kit, give or take, if you are going to take a trip across the USA, the Steppe, or what have you, buy another set and keep it in the trunk!  $100 is pretty darn cheap insurance, don't you think?

The Pertronix is less invasive to the distributor.  That doesn't make it better, but it makes it an easier install.  If already installed the point is moot.  Some have had issues with one or the other.  My Crane worked fine for 5 years until I had a mechanical issue with it; check back or search my previous posts for the details.

The Pertronix is a much simpler system--uses a magnet wheel and Hall effect electronics for switching.  The Crane uses an optical shutter wheel.

Believe it or not some like to tinker with timing, dwell, and like to replace points, etc.  Some kind of therapy or something.  I have enough to do on my car--the beauty of the electronics is generally once they are set, they are set for a good long time.  Nothing to "wear out" like points.  Set it and forget it.  When they fail, it isn't intermittantly, it's big time.  Toss it in the trash.

Fail?  No problem.  You've got the spare unit in the trunk, remember? ;)
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

benzportland

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 16:50:58 »
That's a great idea to keep a spare, and you're right for 100 bucks that is cheap insurance!  I just spoke to another mechanic who said he has installed Pertronix but has seen some failures in the past couple years.  He mentioned having to do some light wiring upgrades for the Pertronix which is not needed for the Crane, as the Crane is an optical system. I'm leaning towards it....

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 18:06:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by benzportland

That's a great idea to keep a spare, and you're right for 100 bucks that is cheap insurance!  I just spoke to another mechanic who said he has installed Pertronix but has seen some failures in the past couple years.  He mentioned having to do some light wiring upgrades for the Pertronix which is not needed for the Crane, as the Crane is an optical system. I'm leaning towards it....

Hmmm...it's the Crane as I recall that required some light wiring upgrades, but no matter, it's all simple.  The Crane has a big box which must be "located" somewhere.  In Concours vehicles the location of choice is under the battery.  What I did was fabricated an aluminum plate 1/8" thick that sat underneath the battery, and screwed the Crane box to that.  Neat, clean and invisible when all together.

The Pertronix is 100% contained underneath the distributor cap inside the distributor.

Anyone interested, I have a 29-page guide in .pdf format written by John Hassel that covers all he learned in installing the Crane Xr-700 in a 1969 280SL...contact me offline with an email address and I'll forward.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 18:14:15 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 20:53:02 »
Michael,

I have to pick on you for this one!  :twisted:

quote:
Originally posted by mdsalemi

.... Any electronic system is infinitely more reliable than a mechanical system; something about "moving parts" .... My Crane worked fine for 5 years until I had a mechanical issue with it
So, the electronic system is superior because mechanical systems have moving parts, but your electronic system had a mechanical problem?   :?:
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 22:45:42 »
After fiddeling with several of these Crane instalations on cars that have come in over the last year I've pretty much determined that they're crap. Almost none of it works as intended. They seem to almost work on the 190SL but don't work right on 6 cylinder cars.

Nothing seems to fit properly and they sure don't fix the mechanical problems that were there to begin with. If I can't make one work you should think about wanting one or not.
The Pertonix system could be better but I haven't had a look at any of those yet.

1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

benzportland

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 23:27:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by Benz Dr.

If I can't make one work you should think about wanting one or not.

Thanks and it's good to hear about actual experience before doing this and regretting it later.  One thing of course in the back of my mind is the question to myself of whether I am trying to get a vintage automobile to run like my modern Chevy truck.  Even if it was possible, arguably I would be losing some of the true experience of the car as it was designed in the first place.  She's running great now so if it aint broke......

jacovdw

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 02:29:08 »
October 2007 I switched to a Pertronix setup for my 230SL as I got tired of fiddling with the points and dwell angle.

Had my distributor rebuilt beforehand. Has not experienced any problems up to date. It is a tidy and hidden installation.

I am also using a Pertronix unit in my W114 that I installed in 1997 - no problems up to date either.

Just my 2 cents worth...

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 06:18:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by rwmastel

Michael,
I have to pick on you for this one!  :twisted:
quote:

.... Any electronic system is infinitely more reliable than a mechanical system; something about "moving parts" .... My Crane worked fine for 5 years until I had a mechanical issue with it
So, the electronic system is superior because mechanical systems have moving parts, but your electronic system had a mechanical problem?   :?:

Rodd,

I was merely attempting to NOT rehash, what has been hashed about ad nauseum by me, several times before.  But since you didn't read it, or perhaps forgot, here ya go...

My Crane worked flawlessly for 5 years.  Got it?  No fiddling with anything ignition related for 5 years.  Perfect.  So perfect there was NO REASON to even ever take off the distributor cap, though I probably did at one point.

THEN all of a sudden I was having "instant death" issues.  Drive along, and WHOA--all ignition stops and car is DEAD.  Most often I could restart w/o issue--sometimes in moments, sometimes in minutes, then not at all.

What had happened was this: you need to run a small set of wires from OUTSIDE the distributor, to inside, where they wrap around the inside, and go to the optical pickup assembly.  What had happened is that for some reason, after 5 years of working perfectly, these wires decided to "get springy" (like that chunk of hair that makes a cowlick) and while the car was moving, they contacted the optical shutter wheel.  When that happened, the wheel, being only lightly held on the distributor shaft stopped.  No movement of the shutter=no ignition=DEAD.  Get it?  I discovered this by observing small cuts in the insulation on the wire set.

The problem got worse: the installer actually used a shutter wheel too big for this distributor.  In order to make it fit, he pulled out the pivot pin upon which conventional points pivot.  So when I discovered this problem, I couldn't even go back to conventional points.  Since the issue was with the Crane, I decided to go with Pertronix.  BTW, I managed to get the distributor working properly and a new pin installed courtesy of one of our members here, Mike Webster.

NOW do you get it?  A MECHANICAL problem with the ELECTRONIC ignition.  The electronics did not fail.  A moving part mechanical issue with the system did.  Goodness I hope that makes some sense...Of course, many told me at the time to get rid of the electronics--that I had a problem with them.  I actually installed another Crane box, thinking that maybe the electronics were overheating (that does happen) and then creating an intermittant issue.  Of course that wasn't the problem.

I did not install the Crane myself and would NEVER have abused a lovely old 051 distributor by pulling the swaged-in pivot pin!  The installer did not have the benefit of the article I proffer here, just the guide that came with the unit.  George Murphy of the MBCA Technical Advisor fame says that a smaller shutter is available for the asking, so is one with a tighter fit on the shaft.  He sells the Crane.

Our own Jim Villers swears by the Pertronix.

Therefore I harbor no ill-feeling toward the Crane; it worked well for 5 years.  The Pertronix is working well, too.  There are proponents and detractors to both.

I had all kinds of help from lots of people in attempts to diagnose the problem.  Nobody was correct, however, not even close.  You could not even see the cuts on the wire unless you had a bright light and stuck your head down into the car...but when the optical assembly came out, it was clear as day what the issue had been.  I would never have guessed this was the issue either, but since it happened to me, it can happen to anybody.

The Pertronix is an easier, cleaner, neater installation.  The mechanical issue I had with the Crane simply isn't possible with the Pertronix (but there could be other issues, of course); the magnet wheel is a tight fit and only passes close to the pickup.  The Crane's shutter wheel passes THROUGH their pickup.  What is better?  Dunno.  You make the choice.  Whether that makes it any better is up to those making a purchase decision.

Dan Caron, bless his heart, is merely lacking confidence.  My 17-year old VP at the MBCA installed the Pertronix on my car in about an hour; he had put them on several W123's.  Most of that time was filing a little bit of metal off the base of the Hall effect p/u to make it fit better--and that's something they tell you about in the instructions I believe.

If someone sat down with Dan and the instructions he could install either in a short amount of time.  Compared with much of his skill, understanding and experience this is trivial.

But one thing Dan says or alludes to is quite right: you really should have your car's ignition working well before installing an electronic.  Don't attempt to mask an ignition problem by an electronic setup.  If your distributor is worn or broken, and electronic system won't cure your ills, only make them a bit different.  You have to remember, that the little distributor is turning, moving, advancing, etc. with every beat of the car, and over 35+ years they do wear out.  Validation, also, for Cees' comments about the new 123 system.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 07:12:26 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 07:14:00 »
One thing often forgotten when installing electronic ignition sytems is to regularly (6 months) add 2-3 drops of oil on the wick under the rotor.

I installed my Pertronix in January 2004, adjusted the timing etc and have not needed to make adjustments since.

The small well area above the left hand side subframe mount makes a great storage place for replacement points etc.
Of course my 250sl has the cover.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 07:17:33 by hands_aus »
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 12:31:58 »
I wouldn't think you'd question my abilities Mike but OK.

I've been rebuilding distributors for 15 years and if I say the kit is a POS, then it is. Oh, it will work and everything, but it's a very wonky set up. The wheel can rub or come loose, the springs can break on the wheel, the wheel can warp and more importantly most of the time you can't line up the shutter window with the eye. And, there's vitually no room to install it correctly.
 I DO have the instructions and according to how it's supposed to be installed it's almost impossible to make it work on the 051 unit. It will work, just not as good as it should and not the way it was designed.

Will eclectronics work? Yes they will. Is this the best system to use? NOoooooo.....

The last 051 I did had no advance at all. The vacuum line had a hole it it, the advance plate was rusted and wouldn't move while the cam was also siezed on the main shaft. This unit had a Crane system that couldn't be indexed at all. I spent a lot of time working on it finally gaving up I installed a set of points and condensor instead. In my humble opinion, I actually improved it by leaps and bounds over what was in there.

The notion that you can throw the electronic ingnition in there and just forget about it seems to work against these things as well. Since they do tend to work well ( sometimes ) for longer periods of time, owners often neglect basic lubrication. Later CD ignition system fail for the same reasons - lack of maintenance because you almost never have to replace points. That wick under the rotor is there for a reason and without a bit of oil the cam will sieze or wear. Even a bit of wear will cause a loss of dwell angle. The idea that you have to replace points once in a while is actually good because it makes you ( or someone ) pay attention to basic maintenance.

Then there's the advance plate. It's very hard metal but it will wear out too so it needs lubtication as well. Once it wears the advance will be all screwed up when the vacuum cell moves the plate. Instead of rotating it pulls to one side and the points close up.
Some of these problems can be lessened by the electronic unit IF the thing is a decent kit to begin with.

If you love your Crane system that's great, but it won't touch my dual point 300SE unit for vintage high tech.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 14:41:16 »
Dan,

I didn't question your abilities--not at all.  I questioned your own confidence in your abilities.  If a bunch of Ponton owners, http://www.mbzponton.org/valueadded/maintenance/igncrane/crane.htm a 17-year old (my VP at the MBCA) and countless others in this group and other groups http://www.mbzponton.org/valueadded/maintenance/ignitionpert/ignitionpert.htm --most with considerably less skills and experience than you can install a Crane and or a Pertronix and make it work, you can too.  Almost every Mercedes Forum has some discussion of these--look at Mercedesshop.com, ozbenz forum from Australia, whatever--these units are common retrofits on older Mercedes and older cars of all types.  You'd never be able to install one however, if you don't believe you can, or if you believe they are POS, however.

That being said you bring up a few good points (pardon the pun), all valid about the Crane specifically, regarding the tight fit etc.  It does not make it impossible; just perhaps a bit challenging.  What isn't on these cars?  Mine worked for 5 years before its eventual undoing was the issues you brought up.  If it couldn't, or didn't work from the get go, I might take stock in what you say.  But 5 years?  Come on, that's a pretty good life--certainly better than a set of points!  I probably could have changed the wires on the p/u unit and been back in business but it was all out on the way to conventional points when I discovered the problem and the damage to the distributor caused by improper installation.  Install anything improperly and it will give you fits.

The other issue you bring up, about the car that came into you with a rusted breaker plate and seized cam--come on!  What on earth does that have to do with electronic ignition?  Sounds like lack of proper maintenance with a clueless owner.  That distributor as described wouldn't work if any system were installed in it!  But to just take out the Crane because of moisture damage and say it's a POS is a bit harsh.  You should be lambasting the owner, not the Crane!

I am not partial to either but have the Pertronix because that's what I have; does not make any sense to remove what's working now, does it?  The Crane worked fine until it didn't.  Just as the points worked fine until they didn't, too.  Now the Pertronix is in and working fine.  I've had conventional, Crane and Pertronix and they all work well.  The electronic units are more robust however.

As you and Hands point out, though, if they cause you to never maintain anything that's not good.

There's some senseless mystery to these systems.  All they do is eliminate points by electronic switching--nothing more, nothing less.  The Pertronix uses what is called a Hall effect sensor and a magnet on the distributor shaft; as the magnet approaches the sensor it is the same as the points closing.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_effect  The Crane uses an LED and a photosensor, with a shutter wheel mounted to the distributor shaft with slits in it.  When the slits pass under the LED, this sends a signal to the remote control box which actually does the switching with transistors.  But simple switching is all they do.  It ain't rocket science nor is it terribly complex.

I think you are supposed to get a stronger spark; not from the unit themselves but because you generally have high voltage to the coil because you are not ballasting the same way.

Ann Neftin's experience--I could not believe what a difference! No more chugging when I step on the gas pedal. It seems to be quieter, and goes forward easier, with more *go* and without the *pouting* and reluctance. I think is more typical of any electronic installation done correctly and working correctly.  It was with me, too.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 16:57:16 »
Mike , Mike, Mike...... ( sigh )

If I say something is a POS then it's a POS. Why do you and so many others question me about other things and believe me on those points ( pun intended ) but if you DON'T agree with me, suddenly I don't know what I'm talking about? You can't have it both ways, you know....

It's part of why I'm not doing as much posting any more. I'm tired of debating things that I know from expirience to be true and yet find myself constantly defending a position, sometimes several at once. It's exhausting and I don't care to do it anymore.

The Crane system is junk. I know how it works, and why it doesn't. I know how to install it and set it up and I'm telling you it's not a good system. It's a half assed attempt at best. The 123 unit is probably far better ( for a price ) because it's a designed system. These other things don't impress me at all.

EVERY distributor that comes to me needs work. That's why people send them here. To say that I should be lambasting the owner is a bit harsh don't you think? I didn't see his car just the distributor. I took the electronic stuff  out because it would not work or set up according to the instructions. Not even close.

Don't contradict me. I can defend every repair I've ever made or I won't even touch it. I'm not lacking in confidence, In fact I'm more than confident that I'm right. ( again )
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 18:46:46 »
Dan, Dan Dan,

YOU said: If I can't make one work you should think about wanting one or not. That's great Dan.  Many others can and do make them work.  Just because you have issues with it/them doesn't mean everyone does.

If you think it is a POS, that's merely your opinion.  I've had it and it worked fine.  So did the Pertronix.  Neither is a POS.  There are plenty of people on all three sides of the issue.  Those who like points, and those with success in both major electronic systems out there.  Jim Villers swears by the Pertronix; George Murphy by the Crane.  Pete (theengineer) had some issues with the Pertronix in his; issues I don't have.  These are guys well respected, as you are.  There are those here who swear by points.  There are merits, pro and cons to all sides as I have pointed out.

My long post was NOT for your benefit, but for Rodd's who seemed not to grasp a mechanical issue with an electronic system, but he might have merely wanted clarification.

For one who was not going to make technical posts, you sure are noisy.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 19:38:19 »
That wasn't a terchnical post - that was a clarification.
A tech post is when I explain how something works or how to fix something. I don't believe I did either in this case.

This is also a clarification. I said I couldm't make it work as intended. That's different than saying I couldn't make something work at all. If a car came in with a faulty injection pump I could probably still make it run but not as it was intended to run or work.

That's all I have to say.
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 21:30:24 »
Because I've been (unknowingly) brought into this conversation, I thought I might relate my experience. I'm the "clueless" owner. I have had my car since 1980 but never had any real time to work on it. Here and there I would piece it together to keep it running and patch the rusting. It had always been a daily driver. Probably about 10-15 years ago I heard about the Crane. I bought a strobe, read the directions, and put it in. No problems x 15 years: car started and ran nicely. Of course, now that Dan has rebuilt my distributor, it runs better. Now that it has its points back again, I do not want to disturb this now well-functioning piece of antiquity with the Crane system again. My inclination has been to go with the 123Ignition, thus acheiving a complete distributor replacement and saving the original distributor as a back-up. This has been a more costly way to go, but makes the most sense to me. As an aside, the 123Ignition should be easy to install but wasn't in my case. Along the way I determined that the engine had been rebuilt by a PO, and that the distributor drive gear was about 40 degrees off. They compensated for this by adjusting the original distributor so that the rotor pointed in the right direction. But it wasn't until I figured this out that I could install the 123 and make it work. I don't notice any difference between the rebuilt distributor and the 123 at idle or short drives. I still have some work to do on the car before I drive any distance or higher speeds.
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

benzportland

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 23:50:54 »
I really appreciate the viewpoints; I gather that people here have have strong thoughts on this either way.  In my occupational field we call that "agreeing to disagree" and then go have lunch (or drinks).  

My mechanic, as with Benz Dr., also say the Crane and Pertronix are POS and he is refusing to put one in my car.  Haven't asked him about a 123.  He worked on my points and ignition, has at least 30 years of experience, and provides a full warranty for all his work.  So for now I'll probably stick with what MBZ nature intended  :)  

I really do appreciate hearing from everyone on this topic though, as I hardly know a point from a piston.  That's why I joined as a paying member before I even had my Pagoda, and I plan to continue and hope everyone else does as well.

RBYCC

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 06:10:36 »
quote:

That wasn't a terchnical post - that was a clarification.
A tech post is when I explain how something works or how to fix something. I don't believe I did either in this case.

This is also a clarification. I said I couldm't make it work as intended. That's different than saying I couldn't make something work at all. If a car came in with a faulty injection pump I could probably still make it run but not as it was intended to run or work.

That's all I have to say.

Dan

I tend to agree with you.
After purchasing my 280SL I had the local MB dealer with a mechanic who dates back to when the W113 was new tune the car to factory spec.

Emissions were off, but I got a state emissions waiver, but car starts on the first few cranks, idles smooth and performs better then I expected.

If I were to use it as a daily driver and had problems holding the distributor settings , I would probably consider the 123 system.

Ed A.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 06:16:30 by RBYCC »

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 14:35:20 »
quote:

My long post was NOT for your benefit, but for Rodd's who seemed not to grasp a mechanical issue with an electronic system, but he might have merely wanted clarification.
Quite honestly, I was simply picking on you as I found it ironic that a mechanical failure took out your electrical system, which you originally stated should be more superior than a mechanical system.  I just thought it was funny, I wasn't asking for a multi-page dissertation or a heated debate.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 15:52:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by benzportland

I was wondering if ... anyone ... who has had electronic for awhile is still happy with it?  I would really like to get it and it seems pretty inexpensive, but when I called my shop I unfortunately got put through to the grumpy mechanic  :(  and he does not want to do it.  He insisted that on the W113's he has serviced, he tears out any electronic he can find and replaces it with points.  He said if I wanted my car to run smoother, I need to get stiffer sidewall tires, and questioned my thinking for even considering electronic.

Anyone have any thoughts, besides the obvious (keeping the car original) on his aversion to electronic?  

I installed an electronic system (Luminition) about 6 years ago and it's still running like a top, never had any issues, it keeps time perfectly etc. So I am happy with what I did and am actually considering getting one of those 123 systems in the near future.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 16:00:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by rwmastel
I just thought it was funny, I wasn't asking for a multi-page dissertation or a heated debate.

If you don't want answers, don't pose questions?

Indeed it was funny in a way, considering nobody even suggested such a thing...kind of like, "imagine my surprise when I found the cuts in the wire"...but the "multi-page" dissertation is there for those, particularly those who might have an electronic system installed by a PO and might have issues.

The heated debate was simply because some do a great disservice by blatant condemnation.  "POS" are strong words, and can scare away people from investigating things that might actually do them well.  We have members of this group--many of them--that have all systems.  It is quite telling that the POS comment came specifically about the Crane, in a thread started by Ann, who had just converted to a Crane and was Whoo Hoo happy about it!  Huh?

I don't advocate willy-nilly changing from a working fine, running fine conventional system, nor returning to one if your electronic is fine, or switching (pardon the pun!) from one to another.  But having and sharing the information is what the forum is about, right?

Jeez--Dr. Wolff, admittedly clueless (I don't believe it, he's a surgeon!) armed with instructions and a strobe, put one in and got 15 years out of it!  POS?
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2008, 17:21:31 »
What heated debate? I thought we were having fun...

Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

jsaylor

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2008, 19:40:14 »
Dan,

Some people seam a bit sensitive, must be proper, this is serious stuff we're doing here :)
Keep on posting I like your style.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2008, 08:29:09 »
quote:

What heated debate? I thought we were having fun...

...what?  Who said we aren't having fun?  There's ranting, raving, arguing...did someone suggest we were not having fun in the process?
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

graphic66

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2008, 08:29:24 »
Why not just come up with a system to get rid of the pesky dizzy altogether. Why are those who are trying to jump into the modern world going with such archaic systems as the breakerless distributor. Obviously if they are so good, just like points, cars would still be using them. Most new cars don't have a distributor at all. I think until someone comes up with a real update that is current technology I will stick with my points. OK guys and gals here is a real chance to be the first on your block to get a distributor deletion plate, six coils and a crank position sensor and get rid of those Fred Flintstone ignition systems.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2008, 08:50:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by graphic66

Why not just come up with a system to get rid of the pesky dizzy altogether. Why are those who are trying to jump into the modern world going with such archaic systems as the breakerless distributor. Obviously if they are so good, just like points, cars would still be using them. Most new cars don't have a distributor at all. I think until someone comes up with a real update that is current technology I will stick with my points. OK guys and gals here is a real chance to be the first on your block to get a distributor deletion plate, six coils and a crank position sensor and get rid of those Fred Flintstone ignition systems.

...now you are talking!
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2008, 09:57:01 »
Hummm.......
Well, that's why you have a car wash and I have a farm. Two totally different hells to live with yet both are weather related.
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC