Author Topic: Back to the future  (Read 1271 times)

Tom in seattle

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, WA, Shoreline
Back to the future
« on: June 25, 2019, 05:10:11 »
There is a series of related topics in the drivetrain section of the forum each having to do with solving interrelated problems with ignition tune-up, linkage adjustment, fuel/ air mixture,
Cold start, altitude compensation, vacuum, and more.  These things drive us shade tree mechanics crazy trying to understand them. 

Here is the question:  did M Benz have a handle on this back in the day?  Did the dealers know how to service and solve the problems of these cars when they were on the street after a couple of years running?  My experience with 911’s is that Porsche only tried to run mechanical injection for one or two years and quickly went to Bosch Jetronik quickly (not a perfect solution considering blowing up intake boxes).  What was the consensus of the day regarding MB service on the 113 cars?
Tom Averill
1967 250 SL Auto Euro Spec

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
Re: Back to the future
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 10:17:40 »
As someone who trained with MB as a technician back in the 80s, I can say with certainty that one of the pleasures of working on older Mercedes cars is the shear number of idiosyncrasies one must know if one is to get the car in good order. It has always been a source of pleasure for me to have a car presented that someone else has been meddling with and I get the chance to fettle everything beck to correct spec and transform the way the car drives.