Author Topic: Top Gear suspended by BBC  (Read 36772 times)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Re: Top Gear suspended by BBC
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2015, 16:48:14 »
Scoot
are you trying to deny the democratic popular vote, and promoting a political correctness dictatorship? ??? ;D
No, I'm saying that the sample space of "voting" is skewed.  If all viewers of BBC were polled the results might be very different.  But it really doesn't matter, it is not a popularity contest. 
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2015, 11:08:26 »
I've tried to keep out of this debate. I'm going to miss seeing tonights episode.

I'm a big Top Gear fan, but I also believe that certain actions cannot be condoned. Jeremy Clarkson has received official warnings before, and we all have seen his behavior, which is occasionally "close to the edge". None of us know exactly what transpired, and what caused the BBC to suspend him, and pause the program.

In one way BBC perhaps overreacted, yet if one of my employees had received a number of official warnings, and did something again, I'd probably suspend him too. I believe in being consistent and act equally to all employees. A production manager behind the scenes deserves to be treated with respect, even by the guy who makes the BBC most of it's income.

I am sure in the background the affair with Jimmy Savile and the lack of action on the part of BBC management in that instance has made them more cautious. However, it was stupid if BBC management indeed did compare Clarkson with Savile.

What I think should have happened is that Clarkson should have been suspended pending further investigation or a hearing. But the program to be continued, without Clarkson. That way the fans would be (relatively) happy, and Clarkson could get a fair investigation.

I believe -- and I consider myself a bit of an expert consumer, having seen and recorded all of Top Gear's episodes since Season 6 (2005, and you should see how much younger and fresher he was then)  -- that it is time for a bit of "renewal" in the program. There's nothing that renews more than putting in another front man…

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2015, 17:14:11 »
I've watched Top Gear a few times and I liked the show. Question: did any of the Clarkston transgressions involve race, ethnic origin, orientation, or any other PC, social taboos?

It's like watching the BBC news and then commenting on how bad things are in the world and how this or that would fix all these problems after having no vote in the countries in question.  So what? 
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2015, 18:43:21 »
did any of the Clarkston transgressions involve race, ethnic origin, orientation, or any other PC, social taboos?

Dan, my daughter started "binge-watching" (e.g. show after show, season after season, hours on end...) Top Gear some time ago. I think she ran out of episodes to watch, and Netflix streaming removed a couple of seasons some weeks back. So, we've seen a lot of this lately all concentrated into a short period of time, instead of over many years.

Nobody seems to know exactly, completely and accurately what transpired with this particular incident that got him suspended. However, as to your question--offending people by groups, including race, ethnic origin, and more is what Clarkson has been doing for a very long time. I don't think there's any such group or race that has been spared in the name of a laugh. That's his "shtick", to borrow a most appropriate Yiddish word...Indian, Albanian, American...owners of Austin Marinas and Peugeots...nobody has been spared. When asked for an apology, he only digs deeper.

My feeling is like that of comedians..if you don't like it, turn it off, or don't tune in at all. You have the ultimate power in that nobody forces you to watch Top Gear if you don't like it. You have to seek it out.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2015, 19:46:35 »
What makes it all the more interesting is that, when you get past all the derogatory remarks and the cheap jokes, he really is one of the best automotive writers out there. His "elegy to speed" was amazing. (I was never able to keep track of the episodes, but it might have been the final episode in season 3, for those who know how to find it in the cloud.)
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2015, 20:09:48 »
Peter, (pj) here (perhaps you know or have seen it) you find it all ----> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Top_Gear_episodes

Peter, (vanEs) well said!

Mike, right on ... those who don't like it can turn it off all it takes is a bit of finger pressure to change the channel (no biggie) :)

Dan, nice to see you back as a Full Member!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 20:14:56 by Rolf-Dieter »
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2015, 12:16:03 »
Oh, one more thing Dan Caron--the one group that probably has been spared the wrath of Clarkson is, um, you see, er, Canadians. Nobody seems to make fun of Canadians except in the most friendly manner.  ;)
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2015, 13:27:46 »
Nobody seems to make fun of Canadians except in the most friendly manner.  ;)
I think people make fun of Canadians in a disrespectful manner at times.   But generally they are portrayed as "fun" and "casual".   

To the topic on hand, obviously my position is that of someone who very much dislikes the power and privilege that comes with acting fame.  If we are going to like Jeremy, let's like him for being funny, well-spoken at times, and entertaining.   Let's not like him for being the bully and a-hole that he is at times.   Rules kind of need to apply to everyone, including Jeremy.    By selectively allowing really bad behaviour that has become PUBLIC the allowing organization is condoning it and saying it is OK for certain people to act like a-holes even though it isn't OK for the "little people".   That's not the message the Beeb wants to present, nor is "he makes money so we ignore it".
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2015, 13:35:47 »
Michael, just wait 'til Jeremy finds out about the Bricklin :-)

Dieter, I couldn't find the "Elegy to Speed" on the episode list. Maybe I just dreamed the whole thing.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 13:40:06 by pj »
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2015, 14:38:23 »
Yeah, I'm back - whatever that means.

My thoughts are: someone who can laugh at themselves will never hurt you. Words are just words and I think no one got that better than George Carlin. Despite all of his vulgar language, he had a way of breaking down the way people want to portray themselves. All of the PC, arrogance, avarice, religious, political, ethnic, etc., ideas that people have come from somewhere and most aren't based on anything more than what their parents told them or what they saw on the evening news. Words are words until they intentionally conspire to hurt someone; that's all they are. I imagine that Clarkston only says publicly what most would think privately anyway. However, if his bosses say '' don't do it '' then he should stop.

We are not exempt from this sort of thing here and recent CBC scandals attest to that. Canadians on the whole are pretty friendly but there are red necks here too. We are not exempt from racial attitudes and right now that's coming from the very highest levels of government. When thing are bad at home, turn the people's attention to other things. It's an old ploy and it usually works. But, I'm getting political and that's not where this is supposed to go.

Frankly, I could give a rat's ass what Clarkston says or does. ( how's that for PC? ) ;)     
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2015, 16:24:02 »
What have you got against rats? ??? ;D
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2015, 18:18:15 »
What have you got against rats? ??? ;D

Let's see.......... the black plague, destroyer of buildings, grain, food, carries all sorts of pathogens........... not much really.
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Khurram Darugar

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2015, 22:29:08 »
"My thoughts are: someone who can laugh at themselves will never hurt you."
"I imagine that Clarkston only says publicly what most would think privately anyway."

Dan I take it you might not be aware of one of his less funny jokes.

He mumbled the N word in the eeni meeni mini mo rhyme during a shoot.  Obviously it got edited but someone leaked it

I'm a big fan of the show and Jeremy is quite a likeable idiot.
But after seeing the video that I just thought...... Jeremy Classless. 

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2015, 22:12:36 »
Good thing people can't read minds. We would all be hermits.
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2015, 22:38:07 »
"My thoughts are: someone who can laugh at themselves will never hurt you."
"I imagine that Clarkston only says publicly what most would think privately anyway."

Dan I take it you might not be aware of one of his less funny jokes.

He mumbled the N word in the eeni meeni mini mo rhyme during a shoot.  Obviously it got edited but someone leaked it

I'm a big fan of the show and Jeremy is quite a likeable idiot.
But after seeing the video that I just thought...... Jeremy Classless.  

OMG!!!! :o :o :o The N word?!!! Is that like the P word, or the L word, or the F word, or like the FU word? :) :) :) The horror, the absolute horror!  It was edited BTW. Lots of stuff gets left on the shop floor, you know. This sort of thing happens every day, every where, and the only difference is it's someone under the microscope right now. I'm sure he expected that it would be edited but it's kind of stupid in his circle. :(

My brother- in- law is black, I have three gay relatives, I have NA Indian blood flowing through me and I called someone a frog once ( he was an obnoxious telemarketer so it doesn't count ) because I'm one myself. The fact is, Clarkston can be an every day A hole just like anyone else. He happens to be on TV and he's famous but then I'm not that impressed by celebrity or the stupid things they do.

We better watch it. This could end up like OD on Peach Parts. Trust me, we really don't want go there..............

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:33:36 by Peter van Es »
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

enochbell

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2015, 00:14:37 »
It is the tolerant man (and woman) who excuse bigotry and racism who allow it to exist.

g

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2015, 10:38:20 »
Perhaps not everyone realises this, but Oisin Tymon, the 36-year-old BBC producer who was allegedly punched by Jeremy Clarkson in a "fracas," apparently had to go to hospital after the altercation with the star presenter.

That is why the BBC suspended Clarkson. Not for racism, not for un-PC behaviour, but because he allegedly hit a colleague. Since he was on warning for "good behaviour" for his other missteps, I believe there is little else the BBC could have done with Clarkson. Whether they should have suspended the TV programme, now that is another matter.
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2015, 13:21:42 »
Wow Peter, we actually agree on something!  :)
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Dave H

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Durham
    • Dave H
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2015, 13:31:42 »
Let’s not forget top gear is written by scriptwriters,  then rehearsed and rehearsed so Clarkson is no more than actor playing the part of an oaf.
It’s not real life no more than any other reality program or pantomime you watch.
The BBC then edit it and leave in a few off the cuff remarks to make it interesting and get a reaction from you and me.
It’s the fault of the BBC if something airs that offends you.
Larry Hagman was actually a nice bloke in real life. see my point.
All he has done is have an argument and a scuffle with a guy in his private life and it’s been blown out of all proportion.
Clarkson has arms like pipe cleaners...it’s not like he could hurt anyone.
The BBC have now apparently compared Clarkson’s behaviour to paedophile Jimmy Saville’s...now that’s low from the BBC and it stinks.
If this is also true its turning really nasty.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 15:39:26 by Dave H »
Mercedes 250SL    1967
Mercedes 250SLK  2014
Alfa Romeo 166 3.2 Ti
Fiat 500

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2015, 19:56:57 »
Wow Peter, we actually agree on something!  :)

Dan we've actually agreed quite often before on issues, it's just how to deal with it we've disagreed on.

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2015, 19:58:33 »
… and ultimately I've come around to your point of view…

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2015, 19:58:50 »
...just not always!

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2015, 21:09:14 »
Quote from: Peter van Es
… and ultimately I've come around to your point of view… -just not always!
:D he he Peter, you are a true diplomat
/Hans in Sweden
/Hans S

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2015, 14:18:54 »
Peter:

It's OK to talk to yourself.

It's even OK to answer yourself.

But it's not OK to interrupt yourself.

BTW, most reality shows are only partially scripted. Think of Gold Rush. No way any writer could come up with that many Tony Beets  '' F bombs '' and still be employed the next day.
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2015, 13:57:38 »
Clarkson and his fellow presenters have frequently professed their dislike of each other for all these years.  In the case of the racial slur, (Which, by the way, was not edited.  He deliberately mumbled so as not to say it.) he was aggressively defended by James May and Richard Hammond who say that Clarkson is a baboon but not a racist.  They are not defending him here.

My point is, as others have said, this is not about political correctness.  It is about a talented and bombastic celebrity allowing his sense of privilege to so exceed morality that he felt empowered to physically assault an associate.  No one can justify that in any case, any time.  The man should be held to account for assault and battery.  And, as a television professional, I can tell you I would sacrifice my company to fire someone who crossed that line.  There are some things in life that demand a higher standard than ratings, or money.  If we are to have any honor in our civilization, we must hold the line that violence has no place in our workplaces.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe