Author Topic: Photography  (Read 5156 times)

AGT

• Senior
  • Scotland, Midlothian, Edinburgh
Photography
« on: June 18, 2008, 10:28:09 »
Michael's e-mail of today has reminded me that I need to get going on my photographs for the book.

I recall that some time back Douglas (I think) posted a link to an article with some good ideas on taking photographs of motor cars. I have failed to find this post/link using the search function. Can any one recall the post or, better still, pop it back up to the top of our photo Gallery page?

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

1966 230SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Sigman

• Regular
  • USA, CA, Alameda
    • http://www.bluecapgarage.com
Re: Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 18:01:06 »
Keep in mind that ideally you would want a high resolution image or else you may encounter pixelization when it is enlarged.  To make it worthwhile, the photos need to be as close to perfect (from a resolution standpoint).    You'll never find pixelated professional photobooks out there (unless it was intentional, of course).

Cheers,
Michael

Michael Lara
www.bluecapgarage.com
1969 280SL 4-spd - 717 Papyrus White w/ Blue MB-Tex (unrestored)
1986 560SL
1989 Toyota Landcruiser FJ62
2015 Tesla Model S 90D
2007 BMW F 650 GS

CraigD

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, WA, Lake Tapps, WA
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 07:52:34 »
Here's another site about taking good car photographs...

http://www.cobracountry.com/fototips/
Craig
'70 280SL Euro
'55 300S Roadster
'29 Franklin Speedster
'37 Cord S/C Cabriolet (RHD)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 07:35:09 »
The current issue of Popular Photography--just this one issue--has a tremendous amount of "how to" suggestions for either better photographs, or how to achieve certain looks.  It has sample photos and how to do it.  You can even visit their website for some of the information: http://www.popphoto.com/howto/

The subscription, at about $10 per YEAR I think it is money well spent, even if you just take "snapshots" of your family and the various other Kodak moments in your life.  You'll probably pay about $5 at the newsstand for each copy but there is a wealth of information available in each one.  While I don't know for certain, I'm sure there are similar magazines in the UK and on the Continent in native languages that will help those so inclined to "create images" as opposed to "take pictures".

By the way, I've already received photos from 3 contributors, none of whom are professional photographers.  They look great, and will add to make this a fabulous book of everyone's photos.

Mike Lara--Sigman--makes good suggestions.  You ought to see HIS photos.  But, don't let resolution scare you.  Use the equipment you have, I'm sure it will be fine.  While my current camera is a 10MP DSLR, my 9-year old daughter has a Nikon L4--an inexpensive, tiny, "point and shoot" 4 MP camera--and this gem has produced publication quality images.  So, don't worry about the camera--concern yourself with what you see in the viewfinder and with the lighting and composition!

Taken by a 7 year old (at the time) with her new 4MP point and shoot camera.  What you see here has been reduced to 80K in size, so more than 75% of the image has been thrown away!  I think you can see that even a small point and shoot camera will allow you to create nice images with extraordinary detail.

Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 08:25:34 »
good

I have one taken on my iPhone!
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather