Author Topic: How serious is this?  (Read 3152 times)

Pagoda_84

How serious is this?
« on: May 14, 2016, 09:20:53 »
Hi guys,

Just after some advice. Please dont be too critical because you are seeing a car that is not concourse. I just want an honest assessment of how serious or how concerning this really is?

Thank you,

Jonathon

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Mossel Bay, South Africa
Re: How serious is this?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 09:57:26 »
Hi Jonathon,
I looks like a small dent that was fixed with bondo.  The doors are aluminum and once the metal is streatched,  it is not easy to shrink, hence the thick bondo.
However, I dont think it is a big deal. Could be fixed, but you need someone that knows how to work alley.
Good luck
28 Ford Model A Pickup
29 Chevy Phaeton
67 E Type FHC
67 250SL 5 speed
83 911SC
2015 VW T5 California Pop Top

gimp

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 13:36:05 »
Jonathon
I was once told when you put the grinder to a little paint bubble there are more problems behind the paint.
I had 2 little bubbles on the fender that was annoying me so I took the car to a body shop and as you see in the photo there were more problems.
Do not want to scare you just want you to be prepared.
Frank

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 03:59:45 »
Its gonna need new bondo, but if you take the trim off for them you may be able to save some money - the little screws under the trim may be corroded into the aluminium and you may need to drill those babies out if the heads strip and then they break when you put the vice grips on them.  I recommend cobalt bits for that and be careful you don't brake the bit and puncture your metal or finger - wear eye protection.  Easy does it.

If you don't feel comfortable doing even the trim removal yourself take it to a body shop and suggest cobalt bits,  if they run into problems with the screws - you don't want them taking a grinder to them. 

You may be lucky but I wasn't.

I sprayed my door with colour matched paint from the auto suppply store - worked great and after cut polishing and wax you can't tell as I'm driving by.
Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
83 VF 1100C
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50
12 Pro 4X

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 03:04:52 »
I recently had both doors on my 280 SL painted. To get the screws for the trim taken out, the body guys did it from the inside, and opted to not drill out the screws. This can enlarge the holes in the door making it difficult to use the proper small screws. From the inside they were able to grab the threads and screw them out enough to grab.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor