Author Topic: Pictures of my Pagoda!  (Read 13242 times)

Khurram Darugar

Re: Pictures of my Pagoda!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 03:52:28 »
Nice car, clearly a lot of effort has gone into it.  Your color combo is spot on!   ;)
Kay

Kay
Euro 280sl LHD Auto.

TR

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 07:49:09 »
Beauty!!

Tom in Boise
'71 280SL 4-spd, signal red w/lt. tan interior, restored/enhanced

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 15:30:51 »
Probably like many of you, I had to search for the meaning of "lovely jubbly". Here is some of what I found:

From the Urban Dictionary website (a slang dictionary):

"luvly jubbly = Very nice, used by 'del boy' alot"

and

"A frozen orange drink. Sold in a cardboard, pyramid shaped container, sold by IDRIS in the early 50's."

It's also the title of a CD marketed in the UK that is described as follows: "Following on from the success of his album ‘Whoopah Wahey’ here is a sizzling collection of new praise and worship songs by Doug Horley (Duggie Dug Dug) one of the UK’s leading children’s songwriters. It features catchy pop songs, jumpin’ dancin tracks, action songs and some great quieter songs. And Harry and Larry (Doug’s wacky puppets) add some hilarious contributions as well. It’s fun, it’s funky and it’s packed with truth. Lovely jubbly!!"

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

rhersberger

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 16:44:16 »
Mike:  What is the name of the color?  It's slightly deeper but very similar to the Carmona Red on my 07 Porsche Cayman S. You have a beautiful SL.

Rod

Download Attachment: 100_0672_2.jpg
62.18 KB

Rod Hersberger

Santa Barbara

'68 280 SL, red, tan, 4sp, two tops
'01 Jag S Type brg
'07 Cayman S Carmona red, sand beige

Kemal

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, London
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 17:16:12 »
Yes , as said by our very own well known actor ,David Jason in :Only fools and horses :

Kemal
280SL Manual

quote:
Originally posted by cees klumper

Probably like many of you, I had to search for the meaning of "lovely jubbly". Here is some of what I found:

From the Urban Dictionary website (a slang dictionary):

"luvly jubbly = Very nice, used by 'del boy' alot"

and

"A frozen orange drink. Sold in a cardboard, pyramid shaped container, sold by IDRIS in the early 50's."

It's also the title of a CD marketed in the UK that is described as follows: "Following on from the success of his album ‘Whoopah Wahey’ here is a sizzling collection of new praise and worship songs by Doug Horley (Duggie Dug Dug) one of the UK’s leading children’s songwriters. It features catchy pop songs, jumpin’ dancin tracks, action songs and some great quieter songs. And Harry and Larry (Doug’s wacky puppets) add some hilarious contributions as well. It’s fun, it’s funky and it’s packed with truth. Lovely jubbly!!"

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic

Download Attachment: C_58_Articles_85166_Teaser_Image.jpg
12.68 KB
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 17:21:21 by kemal shah »
Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD69

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 22:18:03 »
Hello Mike,  I'd also like to know the exact paint code and name. (both interior and exterior) You should have it on the data card if this is the same as the original colour.

Your car looks stunningly beautiful!  8)

WAQAS in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

nick350

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 11:36:23 »
look everyone, a soft top that hasn't curled up!

Nick350
r107 SL red
w113 SL white

steve bonds

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 11:38:50 »

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 12:07:08 »
I believe Cees tries to explain it in his post below.

quote:
Originally posted by french280sl

what is this???? you say these before I do not understand? what do you meen?
quote:
Originally posted by kemal shah

Hi Mike
Lovely Jubbly .

Did you take care of her ?

Kemal
280 SL Manual 1969

WAQAS in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

gnj588d

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 13:22:34 »
Thanks everyone for all the nice comments it makes it all worthwhile,the colour is Dark Bordeaux Red (573)an exact match.The interior is cream (121)I have owned the car for ten yrs.I had the front wings inner wings and trunnions replaced 7 yrs ago plus some minor welding the rest is sypathetically restored,the car has all the paper work from new including the service book,metal embossed bradma plate, data card wheel changing tag that hangs in the boot. tools inc spare fuses original spare tyre,I renewed the carpets with the correct colour and pile.The correct rubber mats are still in place I fitted the correct radio all numbers match.the engine has never been out.Ihad new valve stem oil seals and rubber engine mounts fitted along with a stainless exhaust the car has done just 54k and one lady owner for 30 yrs then it was passed on to her daughter who didnt like it(thank God}It was baught as surprise birthday present on the 17 Jan 66 It realy does drive like a new car .Many thanks Cheers Mike Rutledge.PS the car is not a trailer queen and is used when ever possible (in the summer)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 14:33:46 by gnj588d »

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 14:01:00 »
Lovely combination.  I'm kind of fond of Cream Tex (121) myself!

In the lower right corner of your engine compartment shot (...merc.5), there is a rectangular box with a grey knob on it somewhere near the rhd wiper motor location.  What is it?

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

gnj588d

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 14:15:22 »
Hi Mike thats the compulsary allarm/demobiliser.  Regards Mike.

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 10:48:13 »
Mike,

I agree with everyone - the car is wonderful. A question: in the first shot (looking down on the car) you seem to have the original lep belts laid out on the back shelves, and yet you appear to have inertia/3 point belts fitted. What's the deal with what look like the lap belts on the shelf?

James
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

gnj588d

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2007, 13:44:30 »
Hello James. The belts are three point static. lap and diagonal eg over the shoulder and across the lap,they are made by Stil{one L}with slide or lift double action stamped on the buckle,a metal sticker says RI approved and a BS 325 I can not read the rest.The receiver is on the belt on the back shelf,the clasp is hooked onto a receiver over my Shoulder to keep everything tidy,your right it does look Like An inertia reel Hope this answers the your question. Regards Mike.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 14:01:45 by gnj588d »

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2007, 01:54:46 »
Mike,

Thanks. I've just fitted 3 point inertia to my car and glad I did. My next problem is how to secure a belt to the back shelf so I can clip in the harness for my dog - I thought that's what you may have done, hence the question. I don't think it will be that hard to find a hard point to secure something.

Thanks anyway,

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

gnj588d

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 14:39:01 »
Just a quick one,had a phone call off the original owner on tuesday she found the guarantee that came with the car when new she was fussy about keeping paperwork,not bad for 94yrs old hey  Mike 66 230