Author Topic: Changing times.  (Read 1874 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Changing times.
« on: March 23, 2014, 14:52:13 »
Well, I guess I just had to do it. The Hagerty insurance was up for renewal this week, and yet again it has risen. I decided that I had to do something to lower the cost of ownership here, so I had to go and change the registration on my car from standard Michigan license plates to historic plates, which do carry some restrictions but really not enough to cause me concern. In fact, the roads across Michigan now, after this horrific winter resemble those in Kosovo, Beirut, Kabul, and Aleppo after respective wars. No fooling. I don't think I'll be able to do a whole lot of driving.

The historic plate is a 10-year registration at a flat $30; this is as opposed to $44 per year for standard plates.
This also allows me to change the insurance; even though I have collector car insurance, I don't have historical collector car insurance with a standard plate. With the historical plate, I do. This drops the annual MCCA assessment from $184 per year, to $32 per year. The MCCA assessment is a fee charged to every insured road vehicle in Michigan to pay for the limitless catastrophic no-fault claims, once the primary insurance (usually something like $500,000) is exhausted.

So, this change will provide a bit of relief…but I tell you they are coming at me from all sides these days. Don't even get me started on homeowner's insurance... >:(
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

RonB

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, MN, Cottage Grove
Re: Changing times.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 01:50:23 »
Good idea, I have done the same in Minnesota - Our collector plates rune $100. for a 10 year period.

Another benefit is you do not  need a front plate. All thanks to MSRA and their ability to lobby.

If i remember right that also includes personalized  "O GiGi"  

Some lady got GiGi about 3 days before so I had to settle for "O" as a prefix.

She got a new MB from her husband as a birthday gift.
 ;D

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 11:54:30 by RonB »
Previously FULL Member twice with over 500 post

71 280SL - SOLD on BAT
97 E420      SOLD
85 300D      SOLD
85 R107 380SL
07 Volvo S60