Author Topic: Fuel injection pump solenoid  (Read 4364 times)

igor111

Fuel injection pump solenoid
« on: November 25, 2008, 09:56:39 »
Hi,

When I connect a positive wire on one terminal of pump solenoid, and when I connect a control lamp on the other, it is lightening - Is it normal?. When I connect a ground wire on that other terminal the solenoid is activated. The problem is when I connect all system via relay, it doesn't work, but relay works when I disconnect the solenoid. It seems like I have a short circuit? Can a relay be too weak?

Thanks

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
Re: Fuel injection pump solenoid
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 10:32:16 »
I suggest the relay be opened and the contacts cleaned and adjusted.
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

igor111

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 11:35:31 »
Thanks, but I tried that with 2 different relays. Maybe both of them need some good cleaning! I will try that! Yesterday I tried to start the car without that magnet conected, and it was 5 degrees below zero in the morning. The engine started after just 1 second of cranking, almost immediately, so maybe I should not be worried about that magnet :)

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 14:24:18 »
Hello Igor,

The 220SE engine had three different versions of starting aids.  To diagnose it we will need to know what version you have.  To identify it tell me if the starting valve on the intake is in the front of the intake, the middle or the rear.  The version in the center has the short manifold and is most like the early W113 cars.  We can go from there.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

igor111

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 15:05:23 »
Well obviously I wrote the incorrect word. The problem is cold start magnet on inj pump, not the cold start valve. CSV works as it should. My time switch is broken, so maybe that's the reason why cold start magnet on inj pump is not engaged, but i think it should always be engaged while cranking, but only for 1 second when the engine is warm (both CSV and CSM are engaged via the same relay). I made a little test. I connected one positive wire directly from the battery on one terminal and ground wire on the other. In that case CSM is normally engaged. When I connect one positive wire on one terminal, and the tester on the other, light on tester is engaged, so I have power also on the other terminal and I don't know if it's normal because that way I'm making a short circuit when I'm connecting ground although the magnet works that way.
Now, If I connect CSM via separate relay, it doesn't work, but when I disconnect the CSM, I have power at terminal 87 while cranking, which is normall. Is this maybe because of disconnected time switch (it is inoperative, so I put it out)?

BTW, I'm would like to buy a time switch if someone has an extra one!
P.S. I have a third version of starting aid - CSV is in the middle, I think like on Pagoda!!!
Thanks