Author Topic: 230SL UK "barn" find pride and joy  (Read 16049 times)

Russell

230SL UK "barn" find pride and joy
« on: November 24, 2012, 05:28:54 »
well hi to all, today is the day i go to see for the first time and to collect my new addition to the family. i have purchased a sight unseen 1964 230 SL in cream with a brown roof, 90,000 miles.
i am led to believe in good condition bodywork wise but we all know about that when we hear it. i am not new to classic car ownership nor to forums but cant seem to find here what i am looking for.
ok so a few questions for you smart guys that may well have been answered before so i apologise. A new fact, i now find out not been run for 12 years where we previously thought 8.
i was after a list really

1. what places to look for rust/metal fatigue
2. if sat for that long, has anyone produced a quick list of what you would just replace day 1 without even thinking about it. (i want reliable motoring and happy to pay for that)
3. any particular body things to do like doors/roof/etc maybe to do with water tightening it or anything really as tips??
4. i will require i am sure a huge bin of parts, who do i form a relationship with for spare parts and are there any deals to be had.

more than happy to go hunting for the information here but if someone has already done this list i could save some time. i will get some more pictures today and post them up.

again hi to all, i am sure i am going to be a regular poster and hope to meet some of you soon enough in the south of england

knockmacool

Re: 230SL UK "barn" find pride and joy
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 11:09:22 »
Hi Russell
Welcome aboard and good luck with this car. Read Waqas comments here
http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=10765.0
In the search box above this box you can search rust, barn finds, (try snow white)... One of our members collected four pagodas from a barn
http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=12033.0

Wolfmann

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 12:42:31 »
Hi Russell,

I am just down the road from you and would be happy to look at the car with you and help you with your shopping list / re-commissioning...

Steven

07974 355313.

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 12:50:45 »
Knowing that Pagodas are highly addictive, many of us failed to resist to its appeal even though we knew the seller was cheating :)

While not exactly responding to issues you raised, iy may be useful to have look at the site linked below

http://www.motoringinvestments.com/280SL_BuyersGuide.htm

Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

jaymanek

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 17:05:32 »
Hi,

You can buy genuine parts from any MB dealer and a bit of grovelling and mention of you being a member of the UK Club will get you some discount.
Really you should use Mervyn Wright at Mercedes Bournemouth for classic parts, but any dealer can get them. Its good to forge a relationship with one dealer, they often like doing something different like getting the bits for these classics..

For non MB items I have used SLS in Germany, they have been fantastic, they know their onions and their online catalogue is excellent, much better than Mercedes' own system!
Any parts ordered have been at my door in less than a week.

The only one item I wasnt happy with from SLS was the fuel tank but they refunded me half the cost.

Good Luck!

Jay

Russell

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 18:31:16 »
thanks for the tips chaps much appreciated and i will read through that with interest, well i have now seen her for the first time and she is in stunning condition. i was taken aback totally.
i then found out that "it hasnt been driven for 12 years" translated into "oh yes of course we started her every month and once a year backed her out the garage to clean it, polish it and then put it back and put the cover on it right up until last year when the battery went flat,........... but we haven't driven it"
well i did a little dance for joy at that news as you can imagine.
weather was truly shocking so i couldn't get any pictures.
the front brake is stuck on on one wheel and the seat seems to have collapsed but in good condition, interior fantastic, wheels need some cosmetic work for sure. not a spot of rot or rust to to be seen.
a couple of bits of chrome have a dent in them in the boot region and the chrome front number plate holder is a bit battered and past it.
apart from that an amazing looking car.
it is now on the transporter in the garage where they are going to do the work to get her running again so i will go there later in the week to take a good look.
first on the list will be tyres that's for sure. not a clue what i do about getting them but am sure someone will know if not posted already.

as regards bunnies and happy ones i am right up there in the charts.

Russell

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 18:34:51 »
Hi Russell,

I am just down the road from you and would be happy to look at the car with you and help you with your shopping list / re-commissioning...

Steven

07974 355313.
i will take you up on that if i may

Neil Thompson

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Louth
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 18:49:27 »
Russell you appear lucky! Try the lottery next and congratulations

Neil
1964 230 SL RHD DB304 Horizon Blue
1957 190 SL RHD DB180 Silver
1988 R107 300 SL RHD DB199 Blue Black
1978 C123 230C 2dr Auto RHD Silver

Russell

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 15:00:53 »
you arent kidding neil but i know enough about expensive classics to appreciate the wheels can come off this euphoria at any time.

ok so a newbie here so please bear with me. one obvious thing i noticed when it was being dragged out the garage by the winch was when i went to look to see if i was about to hit the walls was that someone hadnt stolen my wing mirrors, someone just hadnt ever fitted any.
i tried a search in the body and bolt on bits section and nothing.
so whats the opinion if any about mirrors on 1964 230, do you fit them and what am i looking for and where do i get them.
russell

Markbhai

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 19:40:44 »
You can get door mirrors from SLS-hh in Germany, they were only fitted to the drivers side as standard on 230 sl.

I am told that you also need a plate on the inside of the door to give the mirror a bit more support, but as I have never bought or fitted one I don't know how true this is or if they are supplied with this.

It sounds like your car is the same colour combination as mine.

Hope it all goes well... don't rush the jobs, you have a long time before the roads are salt free.

Mark.

enochbell

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 20:19:02 »
Nice find!  And Mark has it right: don't rush (as will be your natural tendency) and the 230sl came standard with driver side wing mirror only, which is secured with a reinforcement plate on the inside of the door panel.  Many owners add an optional passenger side mirror for safety but the mounting arm is distinctly different from the driver side and they are also different from later sl mirrors.  Read this post that includes some wisdom from Al Lieffring and Naj:

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=7565.0

Best,
Greg

Russell

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 18:05:47 »
hey thanks very handy. i am going to take my time and get it right. i want to use this one not tuck it away. my last classic was a nightmare and i was cared to go anywhere in it as it was foever breaking down.
are there any things with these that you just throw away and start again without even thinking about it bear in mind it hasnt gone anywhere for about 10 years or so ?

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 19:04:35 »
Russell,  you can search my name and check my threads.  I had a car that sat for 20 years and wasn't in the best of locations. 

Things to throw away were far and few in my experience.  Things I chucked were mostly rubber related - brake calipers (core charge for new ones), brake lines, rubber fuel lines, clutch line, rad and heater hoses, spark plugs, tires, all the rust that fell off, battery, battery cables, and windshield wiper rubbers.   Items like the floor mats were trashed because one had a cat expire on it (rusted through the floor eventuially as the car sat outside for several years).

The fuel pump was trash and the fuel tank was filled with rust and had holes.

Other than that I was pleasantly surprised as to how many items were still servicable
Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
83 VF 1100C
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50
12 Pro 4X

Russell

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 23:24:55 »
oh my giddy aunt, what is that picture of ?

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 23:42:16 »
Sorry, I left the description of the picture off somehow.   That is a picture of where the cat expired and sat for 20 years.  Because the car was out in the rain for a period the cat stayed perpetually wet and the passenger compartment filled with water and eventually the floor rusted away.  Once the floor rusted away the water drained but the cat kept collecting water rusting the floor.   ...and then the car was moved inside to reside on a dirt floor where the rust attacked from below.     Pretty cool eh?

Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
83 VF 1100C
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50
12 Pro 4X

Russell

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 07:02:12 »
way beyond pretty cool, thats a top trumps in car restoring stories if i ever heard one. doesnt matter what car or what story anyone is telling, you can just go "yeah, but...." and win

Russell

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 11:37:18 »
Hi,

You can buy genuine parts from any MB dealer and a bit of grovelling and mention of you being a member of the UK Club will get you some discount.
Really you should use Mervyn Wright at Mercedes Bournemouth for classic parts, but any dealer can get them. Its good to forge a relationship with one dealer, they often like doing something different like getting the bits for these classics..

For non MB items I have used SLS in Germany, they have been fantastic, they know their onions and their online catalogue is excellent, much better than Mercedes' own system!
Any parts ordered have been at my door in less than a week.

Jay

is that jacksons in bournemouth or someone else ?

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 12:04:19 »
That is Jackson's of Poole, Mervyn has retired now but they still supply classic parts.
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

Russell

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 16:08:06 »
That is Jackson's of Poole, Mervyn has retired now but they still supply classic parts.

thank you very much for that.
russell

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 18:05:37 »
All Mercedes dealers (in the UK at least) can get whatever parts are available. It helps if you can give them the part number.
The only reason to go to Jacksons is if the part you want is NLA, in which case they might have it in stock.
They will happily sell you aftermarket parts that you can get for yourself from the likes of SLS.

Russell

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 21:59:21 »
SLS keeps cropping up so have made a note of them. sorry but what does NLA mean ?

i think the issue will be me trying to identify the parts. at the moment i dont think i will be after market parts unless the normal part isnt made anymore. in the main i currently after replacing all the heater hoses, brake hoses and getting filters. are we saying i can get those from any dealer ?

i was looking to change the ignition and a friend has suggested a unit made by a company called 123 in Holland ithink. has anyone used one of these or any other makes i could look at ?

russell

bjudd

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2012, 22:25:20 »

NLA -  no longer available

Lars G

• Regular
  • Sweden, Skane, Malmoe
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2012, 22:34:12 »
Hi,

Some info about 123, http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=9984.0
I am also restoring my car and have luckily got hold of a copy of the original spare part list. Life is much easier with one of those, try to find one on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-MERCEDES-280-SL-250-sl-OWNERS-PARTS-MANUAL-SERVICE-W-113-1969-1970-/310438204470?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&vxp=mtr&hash=item48478f1436

Lars
1971 W113, 280 SL, Silver (180 G), Dark red (242)
1971 W115, 200, Ivory (670 H), Brown
2006 C169, A150 Polarsilver (761U)
2015 W176, A180, Kosmosblack
2015 X218, CLS400 Shooting brake, Obsidianblack

Russell

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2012, 23:08:23 »
very useful stuff and a good read. think a 123 is on the list for sure.
i will add NLA to NFG and JFGI in my acronym list. i am sure there will be loads of others i will learn here.
last thing i need now is what tyres to go with it but am sure that is a hot topic i can find stuff on here. more reading...

Neil Thompson

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Louth
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2012, 07:44:48 »
Russell don't forget to add TFD to your list, it comes up often with Pagodas - first letter Too, third letter Dear

Neil
1964 230 SL RHD DB304 Horizon Blue
1957 190 SL RHD DB180 Silver
1988 R107 300 SL RHD DB199 Blue Black
1978 C123 230C 2dr Auto RHD Silver

Russell

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 09:35:34 »
Russell don't forget to add TFD to your list, it comes up often with Pagodas - first letter Too, third letter Dear

Neil

;D Neil i am used to things being way more expensive than anything a pagoda can throw at me i am sure. i just sold my Aston virage volante 6.3 wide body. Trust me i know pain. They can be like someone reaching down your throat and removing your bowels.
i am looking forward to some "cheap motoring" with my little pagoda ;)

although i am a realist so i am guessing i will need to assume the position from time to time ?
TFD firmly committed to memory thanks

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2012, 13:29:51 »
VW Kombi's are great, tail lights, genuine originals $45, MB Pagoda, $750

My Kombi has a sign on the back:
"my other car is a Mercedes, that's why I'm driving my Kombi"

Maybe I need to put on the Pagoda
"my other car is a Kombi,  I carnt really afford the Mercedes" :D :D
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2012, 14:09:22 »
Can you post some pictures Russell?
Does it have a leather interior?

Dave
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2012, 18:15:46 »
heater hoses, brake hoses and getting filters. are we saying i can get those from any dealer ?
Yes, we are.

Russell

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2012, 19:54:26 »
thanks for the info and i apologise for the newbie posts but i as you can understand all the advice about take your time is passing right over my head while i am firmly in stupid grin mode trying to work out where to get the basic parts but you have been a great help so i think we are now sorted what to do.
i dont have any pictures yet as we picked it up from devon in a storm and with the brake stuck on we had to abandon it still on the low lowder in the garage yard.
of course with a stuck brake it is an easy thing to winch it up dragging it but then to get it off......
i got a call today saying they have pulled the hub or whatever and released whatever the issue was and she is off and in the garage. the oil looks brand new.
they are going to get the basics and try to get her going and i am hoping to go and see her properly this weekend and i cant wait.
i will then bring her to her new home and the that's when i will really annoy the pants off everyone while i find out how to get her back in fit shape.
pictures will follow asap.

as regards leather interior it has a sort of brown material that looks a bit leather ish but i am not actually convinced it has been anywhere near a cow. what were the options back then ?

Markbhai

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 12:53:58 »
Russell.  That will be MB-Tex then.

If you want to know about authenticity, then get your chassis number to a MB dealer and ask them to get a copy of the factory data card.  They will copy it and scan it for you.  You can then use this site to interpret all of the data, which will tell you what colours were fitted and any options etc. - They did not charge me for mine.

When I got mine it told me that it was originally fitted with a brown soft top, whereas when I got it she had a black one...not any more!

http://www.sl113.org/wiki/DataCard/DataCards

Cheers

Mark.

Russell

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2012, 13:18:32 »
thanks mark, i am told that there is "stuff" in the boot. what i havent a clue but have asked them to drop it round so i am hoping my original data card is part of that but if not at least i can go and find out what it was from what you have said.

Russell

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2012, 13:53:03 »
well the stuff in the boot turned up. some bad news that there is no card amongst it all.
good news is there is all original merc manuals, parts manual and owners handbook manual. they are all huge binders.
i havent looked in the glove box yet so might still get lucky.

snowyt 69

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • Canada, BC, Nanaimo
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2012, 03:01:02 »
Best of luck with your find Russel.
My 1969 280SL had neither been started nor driven in ten years when I bought it. I froze to death checking it for rust, but when I found none I just bought the car. Outside of the obvious culprits (fuel tank and pump, belts and hoses, tires, fluids, etc.), the car was relatively easy to bring back to life. The only real anomoly I ran into was rad fluid frozen to the consitancy of paste in the outlet from the engine block, in the thermostat housing, and some of the auxillary coolant lines. Seeing as your car would appear to have been started and ran on at least a semi-annual basis, I doubt this will be a problem with yours. Tires are a snap as long as you are not concerned with the original 190/75/R14 rating (I'm quoting from memory so shoot me if I'm wrong!). I'm running 195/70/R14's now, and though there might be fractional spedometer error, it won't exactly matter as the speedo tends to flicker and wander around a bit. As does the tach by the way. Even if they look good, your heater levers are going to probably turn to confetti the first time you try to operate them (two of the four of mine did). Although being told by more than one person in the know that the levers were the least of my worries, that the valves and the heater core fittings and what not were sure to be rusted and inoperative, when I got it apart all it really needed was new levers. The cables were all operating the bits they were supposed to operate, and despite the job of replacing the levers was a bit of a head scratcher with not a whole lot of room to do anything, I got them in fine, they work perfect, and I was glad I replaced the light bulbs as I really never want to get in there again! The brakes save the master cylinder and a few steel and flex lines are original and never touched. Same with the radiator, the transmission, the differential, the front end, the rear end, the middle end, and the end in sight.
I got lucky in my find and I know it. I hope you get lucky in your's as well.
If you want to follow the story of my Pagoda saga, search for Barn Find or snowyt 69. It happened a couple of years back, but there might be something of value there seeing as you are basically in my old shoes.
Oh...and as to why I haven't written any follow up, it is simply because it would have been way to boring. I mean who really wants to read this...
"Topped up with gas. Drove to the golf course. Made a birdie. Topped up with gas. Drove to my sister's place 400 kilometers up the road. Topped up with gas. Twisted the key and just went for a drive for the fun of it."
May such boring posts be your future Russel.
'69 280 SL-Snow White
'02 Toyota Highlander-Lucky
'99 Correct Craft Ski Nautique-Oz

Russell

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2012, 10:58:45 »
good news thanks, i hope i fair the same. i am looking forward to having some boring posts to put up about sunny days myself. as soon as it is running it will come to me here so i will then find out for rel what i am into.