Author Topic: Barn Find  (Read 50584 times)

Wolfmann

Re: Barn Find
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2011, 18:33:24 »
Got home after a hard day in court and just had to read the complete thread. Compelling and almost romantic in a `'no woman would ever understand" type of way. I feel similar emotions on my visits to the shop where my own fairytale princess is being resurrected. I take regular and expensive gifts of parts and even attach some of them myself, sometimes she appears happy but more often just gleeful in demanding bigger and bigger slices of my disposable income. We have been together 14 months and such is my devotion that I have given up eating out and holidays and am down to my last decent suit and pair of 501's but that, as they say, is true love.

My Belle too had played exclusive hotel to to the family mouse and the chrome vents and conduits were clogged with nesting, my mice however fared less well for food and had resorted to eating both windscreen demister mouldings. (no problem, a mere £108 each from MB, now plastic rather than mouse food compressed cardboard).

My 1964 230SL too was originally papyrus white with blue MB tex but is being awakened in 050 white (rather than the Peugeot 206 ice blue some phillistine had daubed her with) with navy leather as the interior was shot (and partially eaten). Unlike Snow White my car needed some profound cosmetic surgery in the form of everything excluding the chassis legs from the firewall forward, the previous owner having spent £20K on having the rear end professionally restored before weakening, (like his marriage) having her blown over and selling her to me for far less than he had already spent. I am happy that she has been truly saved and will be resurrected rather than ending her days being broken for parts. Just another few thousand and 6 months should see her done...

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2011, 19:22:40 »
Sounds nice, any pictures - we love pictures here.
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

Wolfmann

« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2011, 20:14:21 »
I tried to upload a before and after shot but the site said they were the wrong type and or too big !

snowyt 69

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • Canada, BC, Nanaimo
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2011, 00:52:43 »
THE RESSURECTION

I finally got Snow White totally sorted. She spent rather a long time in Dan’s (Benz Dr.’s) capable hands, but now she is home, happy, and I could drive her to Mars if I chose.
To bring my neglected mouse nest back to life, here is what I did.
NEW-
Belts and hoses.
All fluids.
All filters.
Battery.
Shifter bushings.
Fuel pump
Fuel tank.
Sending unit.
Fuel lines.
Windshield washer pump.
Door seals both sides.
Trunk seal.
Hood emblem.
Brake flex hoses (all four).
Rear steel brake lines.
Master cylinder
Tires.
Re-built distributor.
Steering shock.
Idler arm bushings.
New convertible top.
Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points and condenser.
Valves adjusted.
15 gallons of Maguire’s Ultimate Rubbing Compound.
2 pounds of paste wax.
And a bazillion hours of my time.

In the end, I have turned a mouse nest into a really capable Type 3 driver. I am not going to lie to you and tell you that Snow White would win first prize at the Barrett Jackson auction. Her original seats have tears and scuffs. There is lingering mouse damage in the passenger floor carpet. The heater levers (which I have in stock) need to be replaced. The rear shocks (which are on order) are frozen and the poor car clunks around over the bumps like a rickshaw. I will fix these things. They are easy.
I bought Snow White in the first place not because I had always dreamed of owning such a car. I knew very little about these cars six months ago truth be told. I bought her because I love cars. Especially old cars. I bought her because she spoke to me, and because I knew with a little love and time (and money!) I could bring her back to life as she was meant to be.
I know you are curious so I will tell you. Snow White’s resurrection cost me $10,000.00 Canadian. That includes everything save my time. Parts. Dan’s labour. Tax. Insurance. Plates. Oh I kept records.
She is a work in progress, and like all old cars, will always be a work in progress.
But stand on the gas on the highway, and she howls her way to 6,200 rpm where she shifts. Doesn’t shake. Doesn’t wander. Stops in a dead straight line. She is so ruddy happy you can hear her sing.
And this, my friends, is what it is all about. It is not about me. It is about Snow White. It is about the car I brought back to life because I could, and because she deserved it.
And now we get to play.
Pictures to follow.
Michael/Mr. Snow White

'69 280 SL-Snow White
'02 Toyota Highlander-Lucky
'99 Correct Craft Ski Nautique-Oz

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2011, 22:49:12 »
Do we get to see some of the "after" shots, including some of the shots on Mars!
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

snowyt 69

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • Canada, BC, Nanaimo
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2011, 04:36:51 »
THE LOVELY SNOW WHITE DOES CAR SHOW

In Cobourg, Ontario, about 130 kilometres from where I live. Straight down the highway at a steady 120 KPH, in the slow lane! Getting left for dust by every Honda Civic and Chrysler Magic Wagon on the planet. The day was bright and sunny, beyond lovely, and I wasn’t in a hurry anyhow. Top down and coffee drinking. Plenty of thumbs up from the Hondas as they blew past. At least they appreciate art on their way to trumpet practice.
Show was neat. Lots of cool rides. My highlight was when the Antique Club of Southern Ontario rolled in, twenty Model T’s, Cadillac’s, Buick’s, not one newer than 1920. They drove them all in! Wooden wheels, pump horns, every one drooling coolant and fluids, twenty horsepower a pop. Magic.
Snow White did not win best in show. I think the judging was biased. Maybe by the showroom condition Duesenburgs, Studebakers, Mustangs, you name it, had something to do with it. What, you don’t appreciate mouse damaged carpeting? That’s all original mouse damage!
The judges were not to be swayed, even when I offered them free Ecstasy pills and a two for one Quizno’s sub coupon. Some people!
I had a ball. And that’s what it’s all about.

'69 280 SL-Snow White

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2011, 05:59:10 »
And once she gets new shocks she will drive even better.

I guess filling a tank full of fuel and then parking a car for ten years isn't a good idea. Only tank we couldn't fix by boiling it out. Changed the tank and it was like magic - car ran very strong after that.
Also the only distributor I've ever rebuilt that had a bent shaft. No idea how that could even happen but it did have one.

Top was fun. Never did one before so I helped the top guy to install it. Polished all the little chrome pieces and we finished at 6:00 PM Friday night. Drove the car up to Toronto the next day so Mike and I could take it to the vintage car races at Mosport on Sunday. I went there in 2003 and wrote a story about it that's here in the forums somewhere. This trip was far less eventful.

Sat night we went to see a friend of mine north of he city. He bought a 1947 Buick Roadmaster coupe that I wanted to see. Huge car - so big he has to remove the rear bumper so he can close the roll up door where he parks the car. Mike drove and I chaperoned as he took Snow White on her first date. ( I think he likes her )
 The Red Rocket was supposed to take her to the races the next but he couldn't get anyone to drive him to Toronto on Sat so he had to stay home. He's still pissed at me.......he had a good look at her and he was try to make a move on her before I took her away. He refused to start once I got back home and sat in the corner pining for her. Poor car - he seems lonely now.....

Took the train home on Monday and picked up a 1960 22SE Cab in London Ontario which I drove back to my place. Pretty nice car but very difficult to restore.
 If I knew how I'd post some pics, but even those who know how say it's hard to do it, so I've kind of not bothered.

1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

snowyt 69

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • Canada, BC, Nanaimo
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2011, 06:06:56 »
The Boring Snow White

Twist the key. Starts effortlessly. Yawn.
Put in gear. Drive anywhere. Yawn.
This is what my mouse nest has become.
And I love it!
I have been roaring all over the Ontario map this summer, mostly with the top down, at high speed on the highways. To the car shows. To the golf course. To my sister’s place to hang out and play a little more golf. Only my sister lives 300 kilometres from where I do, straight up Highway 11. Know how many spares I carry while I wander my way into the wilds of the Ontario north? A couple of belts for the alternator and power steering. Tools to put them on. This is it. Why? Because I trust my car.
The reason I trust my car is because Dan my friend, known as Benz Doctor to you all, finally sorted it out for me. It spent six weeks in his loving care, with a simple mandate. “Fix it.”
Well, he did. And since he delivered it to me, I have done exactly two things.
I have changed the oil and filter, as the first time I did this I did it cold, and I was never really sure that I had got all the sludge out of the oil pan. So I did it again, full hot, with two thousand kilometres of run time on the clock.
Then I did the coolant for exactly the same reason. I did it cold in the first place, and the cooling system was odd to say the least when I first encountered it. So I did it hot, and no drama in what came out of the car.
And now I just drive and grin. 4,000 kilometres and counting since Dan brought it back to me. A forty-two year old car and I drive it like I would a late model Honda.
If any of you out there in Pagoda land are having trouble with your cars, I would recommend Dan in a minute. When he brought the car back to me (and yes he delivered it), the bill was easily half what I would have paid to have it serviced locally. Plus the car was perfect. It ran perfect the day he delivered it, and it runs perfect to this day.
Dan will probably hate me for saying this. The last thing he needs at his shop is more work. He is swamped and always trying to catch up.
But this is of no matter. If you are stumped to figure out why your Pagoda won’t run. If you are mad at getting overcharged for service. If you think you local shop doesn’t know one end of your Pagoda from another, the answer is simple.
Do what I did. Take it to Dan. Wait patiently, and in the end you will have what I now have.
A car where you simply turn the key and go wherever you want to go.
Personally when I get back from the car show in Picton this weekend, I’m thinking of heading to Alabama to play golf with my sister in November. It’s only 3,000 kilometres one way dead south. Not exactly buckets of trunk space in the lovely Snow White (two sets of golf clubs for starters) so we’ll pack light. I’ll take my fan belts in case something happens. Sounds like a plan to me.

'69 280 SL-Snow White

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2011, 08:40:46 »
Well, you can be sure you won't find a british car in a barn

A pile of rust perhaps, and if you had the appetite and pockets (and VIN plate) to rebuild it, you'd still have Lucas getting in the way of it ever running right!

Sounds like you are in leerve :D :D
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Peter h

• Silver
  • Germany, Rheinland-Pfalz, Enkirch
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2011, 11:59:14 »
Hello

here a barn find from Germany this year. You cant wait for it, but it happens.
sorry a bad copy from the Pagodenclub news and only in German maybe someone translate it ?

Peter
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 12:14:17 by Peter h »
08.68 280sl automatic white 717 G  blue MB Tex
09.68 280sl  4-speed, now 5-speed Getrag 180 G dark green MB Tex

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Denmark, Fredericksberg, Rungsted Kyst
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2011, 14:23:42 »
Short recap: A gold-coloured Pagoda was discovered in a garage after being laid up since 1980, the buyer thought it was an Aprils fool, but went to look. Found the car complete, but dusty, with flat tires. The leather underneath a lambskin seat covers was pristine and the tacho reading of just 58168 kilometers was confirmed by a sticker from the last service the car received in 1979! All documents came with the car and the softtop looked good underneath the hardtop. The car was bought, the tires were re-inflated. After 4 hours spent washing and polishing the car, the chrome and paintwork was shining. Fuel tank was removed, flushed and filters were replaced. Fuel lines were replaced (I think), same with oil (pan removed), camshaft checked, oil pan reinstalled. A few drops of oil in each cylinder, engine cranked by hand and moved freely. All fluids replaced, new plugs etc. and engine fired up. The car was later repainted in its original colour (not mentioned) and the owner is now looking forwards to years of happy owner ship etc....

All in all a happy story much like the "star" of this thread :-)

A nice weekend to you all
1965 230 SL in silver (DB180)
1982 Land Rover Series III SWB
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper

snowyt 69

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • Canada, BC, Nanaimo
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2011, 22:34:21 »
A COUPLE OF OTHER THOUGHTS

I re-read my last post, and realised there was an omission. I actually have done three things since I got the car back from Dan. The third was the rear shocks. This was such an easy swap that I completely forgot about it. But made a real difference in the way Snow White drives. The shocks I took out were, to say the least, shot.
As I have stated previously, I am new to Mercedes ownership. The only Mercedes I had ever driven before I bought Snow White belonged to a friend of mine. A 2006 E-430 as memory serves me (which it doesn’t all that well by the way). Black. Black leather. Immense. 190 kilometres on the clock. He’d picked it up from the dealer two days before he tossed me the keys and asked me if I’d like to drive it.
Well, say no more! It was effortless and silent. Went like stink. My memory was that if you had enough clout to buy it in the first place, and a really big limit on your Visa card to keep it full of fuel, you could really eat up some miles in this thing. I handed him back the keys after a really high speed run home, grinning like an idiot.
“Nice ride,” was all I said.
I have similar feelings about Snow White. I bought her because I thought it a travesty that such a nice car could suffer the fate she had. I wasn’t sure I would like her. I wasn’t sure there weren’t mice nesting on top of the pistons as well as everywhere else, in which case I’d just flung a whole lot of money out the window.
I wasn’t sure of anything.
But the car talked to me. I know this sounds ridiculous, but this is the way it was. The car talked to me, and I believed her.
And now I find myself on the other side of the coin. I have a forty-two year old car I drive with utter faith. I twist the key and drive. And every time I do, I hear my lovely Snow White say, “I told you so.”
Now I get it why you are all so fond of your rides.
Give me a single word to describe my car, and I will call her “elegant”. Graceful and poised come to mind, but I only have one word so I will call her elegant.
She is elegant. Painted white, which on another car would be boring. It is not. She is neither a hot rod (in which case painted red), nor a truck (in which case painted brown). She is elegant and poised, and wears her white dress with style. It is becoming and understated, much as the car is.
From every angle this is the most feminine car I have ever owned. I look at her frequently and I still can not figure out why. But every time I look at my car, I see a woman. Not a bad thing by the way. I happen to love women, especially when they wear white dresses.
So in summation, I have brought Snow White back from the dead with the least of worries. She helped me every step of the way, because she wanted to be. A car left for dead to be a mouse nest, only that will never do. I bought her, I fixed her, and now she is my friend.
And in a couple of hours, Dan who is Benz Doctor is going to arrive at my door. Tomorrow he and I are headed out with the Mercedes Club of Canada on a drive, wine and cheese tasting expedition in Picton, Ontario, which is about 300 kilometres east of where I type. It is pelting rain right now, but the weather forecast says it ought to get it all out of its system before the morning. Fingers crossed.
This is what I never imagined so long ago on the cold November day when I bought my car. That the experience of my car would bring me new friends. New venues. New everything.
So thank you Snow White for doing so.
Enjoy your rides everyone and talk to them.
Like cats, they will purr.

'69 280 SL-Snow White

Peter h

• Silver
  • Germany, Rheinland-Pfalz, Enkirch
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2011, 05:46:29 »
Thank you Ulf

my english is not the best at all.

Peter

It is such a wonderful late summer here at the mosel river, but i have no time to drive a little bit. >:(
08.68 280sl automatic white 717 G  blue MB Tex
09.68 280sl  4-speed, now 5-speed Getrag 180 G dark green MB Tex

Louis

« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2011, 13:43:18 »
snowyt 69 ,

Enjoy the weekend .  It has been fun observing the relationship evolve between you & snowyt 69.  Most of us can relate similar stories. Happy miles !

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Denmark, Fredericksberg, Rungsted Kyst
« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2011, 07:27:29 »
@Peter h - my German is not too good, so I probably missed a few things, weather up here is really nice as well (20 degrees C!) and will remain so for the entire week, so the Pagoda will be the daily driver for the rest of the week :-)
1965 230 SL in silver (DB180)
1982 Land Rover Series III SWB
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper