Author Topic: Pacific Coast highway  (Read 10244 times)

rob walker

Pacific Coast highway
« on: January 24, 2011, 18:53:26 »
We are intending to drive the Pacific Coast highway in September this year.
Can anyone advise where we should start (San Diego was my thought) which parts of the highway are a must to drive, were we should finish and what we should definitely have in our schedule to see. How long should we plan for the drive. Lynda would also like to take in some golf courses as well which we would add at the end of the drive.
I would really like to hire a convertable Mustang or something similar, any good hire companies that people know of for this type or car and also any recommendations for hotels would be greatly appreciated.

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: Pacific Coast highway
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 20:00:13 »
Hi Rob. If its ok, I'll PM you with my input. I have some experience with both the driving and the putting, so to speak...
James
63 230SL

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 20:59:44 »
I did San Fransisco to LA many moons ago

Really enjoyed Carmel peninsular (would love to go back during car week....) down to about Malibu.

Parts of it are dull (San Louis Obispo, for example)
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

ctm14

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 21:25:42 »
Rob,

No question the Big Sur area just south of Monterey is the most spectacular.  The state is so large and diverse that the highway varies dramatically from scenic natural beauty to commercial t-shirt and surf shop culture and everything in between.  Being from San Diego I am partial to this area and would save the best for last  ;D.  When it comes to sunshine, warm weather and a variety of attractions southern CA can't be beat.  My vote is to end your trip with a stay at the Historic Hotel Coronado and enjoy the charm of Coronado just over the bridge from San Diego.  Any way you choose it will be a trip to remember.

http://www.hoteldel.com/

IXLR8

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 23:07:01 »
Hi--

I don't know how much time you have, but in addition to the areas cited previously, I would recommend the area north of San Francisco all the way up to the "Valley of the Giants"--the home of the ancient giant redwood trees. The "General Sherman" tree is the largest living thing in the world.  There is even a living redwood tree that is carved out so that you can drive through it.

The coast line north of San Francisco is very rugged and a driver's dream.

Choosing which part of the PCH is better is like choosing which of your children is your favourite. Impossible to do....

Joe

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 01:06:26 »
...  where we should start (San Diego was my thought) which parts of the highway are a must to drive,  ...
Hello Rob,
I always found it nicer driving south on California Highway 1 since then I am closer to the edge of the cliff   ;)  and I believe you see more. The disadvantage is that you will be looking more into the sun while driving. But in either direction you will have an exiting driving experience and the twisting, cliff-hugging portion between Monterey and Moro Bay is the "must see" part.
This stretch is not that long and can be done in one day, or better two - and then what?
Or did you have in mind to drive the complete length of the California PCH from San Diego to Crescent City on the Oregon border?
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 01:18:27 »
Rob, my wife and I are leaving tomorrow to do that very thing, ;D although we are staying more along the south coast.  We fly into San Diego and will spend a few days there before heading north along Hwy 1.  We are going to stop at the Classic Center to see the museum and will spend a day in LA doing the Mulholland Drive and Sunset Blvd cruise.  Then we head up to the Pismo Beach area where we will spend a few days touring the wineries in Paso Robles before heading up to the Big Sur, Carmel and Monterey.  Again visiting wineries and doing the tourist thing.   The last few days we will spend further south again based on what we see and experience between San Diego and Monterey.  We aren't going further north as we have been to San Fran and north of there.  The drive along Hwy 1 north of San Fran towards Mendicino is an experience if you do it during a rain storm, which is what we did.  Cows on steep slopes looking like they are going to slide into the ocean and grates as part of the road to allow water to get down the cliff faces.  I'll let you know more once we return. ;D ;D
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Witt

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 01:39:37 »
......great drive, I did it several times all the way fro Vancouver BC to Southern California. Once in an E-Type, a 911 Targa and a 540K replica that I build myself to the Laguna Seca vintage races in 1986. Talk about a shakedown cruse.

Cant' tell you much about where to stop and visit, I had so much fun driving and enjoying the scenery that I stoped only when necessary: food, drink hotel and other pit-stops.

Convertable Mustang, excellent choice my Brother has one and the sound system is fantastic. That coming from a guy that is used to puny AM/ FM radios with tape decks.....

CHEERS !
WITT !
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 23:28:04 by Witt »

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 04:17:44 »
All excellent ideas (speaking from a California dude). I would remind folks though that California is pretty big place -- so depending on time, be careful not to "roller-skate through the Louvre"...as they say. Here are some of my thoughts -- hope I don't tick off any locals...

One big thing to keep in mind is the weather. Southern California -- from San Diego up the coast to just North of Santa Barbara is what I'd consider the warmer half. From SB, North you will start to feel a cooler sense of things. The ocean is colder, the beaches more prone to rocks and fog. Just as pretty, mind you, but just cooler (generally speaking!). The notable exception is Santa Cruz which can often resemble southern California.

As for driving and sightseeing: San Diego and its northern areas of La Jolla, Del Mar, and Solano Beach are really nice and worth checking out. The golf is good. There are several public courses that are pretty and affordable. (At least they were when I lived down there). One you should try and play is Torrey Pines just out of La Jolla. The home of several PGA events, it is open to the public and not overpriced like many famous courses in California (Pebble Beach comes to mind). Not that tough either (from the whites anyway!)...

As you make your way up through LA, you start to do some trading off: there are many huge attractions worth checking out -- but you will likely be snarled in traffic or find yourself on a wrong freeway wondering why you ever left San Diego... Hollywood, Rodeo Drive, Sunset Blvd, Universal, museums, Malibu, etc... all worth a visit if you have time. If not, snap a few pics and get out.

I would then cut over to PCH and take Highway one from Santa Monica up to Port Hueneme. This is the crown jewel of southern California's coastal drive (I think). Before you know it, you'll be up to Ventura and Highway 101. Next stop -- Santa Barbara, If there is one place in California worth seeing, SB is it. OK, I confess, it is my hometown. But there is a lot to see and do there. Several public courses in the area that are nice and enjoyable. Check out the Queen of the Missions, Mission Santa Barbara, State Street for shopping and Dining, Stearns Wharf and the beaches for fun. There is a reason why so many stars end up in Montecito, possibly the most perfect place, just south east of SB.

From SB, I'd head Northeast to the Santa Ynez Valley to experience the wineries and Solvang, a Danish town transplanted in California...Its neat.

Next, take the 101 toward the Pismo Beach area, and if you are itching to stay along the coast line, take Highway 1 from Morro Bay up to Monterey. Here is some of the most spectacular scenery in the world. If you forego this windy -- as in curvy- stretch, 101 is a nice drive up to San Jose and the San Francisco. Not overly breathtaking but not a bad way to get to the Bay Area. A third way is to go from Paso Robles over to I-5 and up the 5. Straight and sort of boring but the quickest way to get to SF from the south. There is a ton to see in SF, as you are no doubt aware. Buy a Giants hat -- since it will be another 40 years before they win again...

So, I need a break (you all do too I am sure...) AND get this, thats only half of California! The true Northern California runs up the coast to Oregon and is equally as lovely... like I said -- Big Place!

« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 05:17:09 by J. Huber »
James
63 230SL

rob walker

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 14:32:57 »
Thanks everyone for their input both on forum and off. I will print it all out to see if there is any concensus on what to do  ;D

rob walker

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 14:36:31 »
Have a great trip Jordan and look forward to hearing all about it.

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 18:56:58 »
  I have driven the PCH many times over the years (including quite a few trips in my 280 SL when we were both younger:-) and the two parts that I believe to be the most scenic are from San Luis Obisbo to Monterey and from North Of San Francisco Francisco to Fort Bragg. The weather should be warm in September burning off the coastal fog early. Both of these routes are very popular and traffic can be very heavy and slow behind the many RV vehicles that try and negoitate the twists and turns. There are many turnouts along the way to take in the spectacular views.  Most of the highway from San Diego to north of LA are divided highways and are meant to get from city to city and can be really congested at times. This is also true as it passes through SF although going over the Golden Gate Bridge with the top down is another joy not to be missed.
 Enjoy your trip, and don't forget, we drive on the "wrong" side of the road over here:-)

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

bowdie

• Junior Level
  • Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Hong Kong
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 07:41:07 »
I drove LA to San Fran & back on the PCH a few years back in an early 911.

Great road - Big Sur area especially.

Around the half way mark there is a place called 'Moonstone Beach' which has a restaurant overlooking the Ocean -- worth a stop for lunch to break up the drive.

Pebble Beach 17 mile drive worth doing & grabbing some food at the clubhouse.   Lone Cypres tree.

I remember passing a older guy in mint black Pagoda on the 17 mile drive --- think that was the tipping factor in me buying one!!

Enjoy,
Chris.
1967 Medium Blue 250SL
1972 Gemini Blue 911T
1994 Black 993

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 13:01:45 »
I would hazard a guess that the PCH is home to significant amounts of product photography; commercials; video etc. for car manufacturers.  There is a reason why they all flock to this road...
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

fmen3366

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 23:54:16 »
And if you've made it North to San Francisco, and love oysters, drive Hwy 1 to Tomales Bay in Marin County. Awesome views and you'll be rewarded with a bounty of fresh oysters!! And it's suppose to be good for you know what...)))

Cheers!

TR

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 00:59:19 »
If you feel like going even farther north, into southern Oregon, you could check out the links at Bandon Dunes:  http://www.bandondunesgolf.com/

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 01:00:10 »
And if you've made it North to San Francisco, and love oysters, drive Hwy 1 to Tomales Bay in Marin County. Awesome views and you'll be rewarded with a bounty of fresh oysters!! And it's suppose to be good for you know what...)))

Cheers!

Here are a couple shots from that very area... From one of our SF Bay Area MB Club Pagoda Drives. We need to do that again -- how about September! We can squeeze Rob's Mustang into the convoy ... or maybe he should spring for an SL500 or something?
James
63 230SL

RedKos280SL

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 07:03:42 »
I just happened upon your thread, and being that I've driven PCH twice in my 280SL from Ocean Shores, Wn. to Los Angeles, Ca., I would say drive all of it.  The whole thing is scenic and at times I really got the feeling it was 1960 or 1970 at times.  During the nicer time of the year you'll meet other vintage cars as well.  Being from Bellevue Wn. originally, I would only drive it in the summer.

Although it's probably been 15 years ago or more since I drove it last some points that stick out for me are:

-The whole Oregon Coast.  With the Sea Lion Caves and other old school kitchy places to visit, its not only scenic but also a lot of fun.  I recall one early morning departure when I peaked through the evergreens out toward the Pacific and the ocean was covered in a bed of low lying clouds.  I stopped, backed my 280 up to the edge of the cliff and got a stunning picture of the car with the clouds white pillowy clouds in the background.

-The redwood forest is also amazing.  The last time I drove it, the tree that you could drive through was still there.  I jumped out of the Mercedes and snapped a picture of my ex-girlfriend with her head poking over the top of the windshield.  Great place for a picnic.  I do remember finding a motel outside of big cities to be difficult in Northern Cal.  There weren't too many, and most of the time they were sold out, so you might want to plan for that.

-The little villages north and south of Frisco are worth a look too.  I'm not much for shopping, but there is a lot of history to be found in these towns and along the PCH in general from Ca. to Wn.  Also in Ca. I made it a point to take the little detours off onto Hwy 1.  I love old school roads and in my opinion it is definetely worth the time.

Just make sure you allow plenty of time as there's nothing worse then seeing something on the net, or hearing someone tell about a place that you think, "geez I should've gone and seen that!"

KevinC

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 01:38:14 »
Keep in mind that between San Diego and LA (or more distinctly Oceanside and Orange County) the PCH disappears while passing through the Camp Pendelton area. Maybe for 10 - 15 miles. This forces you on to the 405 which can be dicey for traffic. Also, a great stop between Ventura and Santa Barbara is Carpinteria...quaint and cool at the same time plus more vintage VW's on the road than anywhere it seems!