Author Topic: Auto Radiator in a manual  (Read 1056 times)

alpina

• Vendor
  • Silver
  • Spain, Asturias, Villaviciosa
Auto Radiator in a manual
« on: August 22, 2023, 16:13:41 »
I understand that the radiator for an auto can also be fitted to a manual. Those supplied by SLS and others are for autos. I know this will work in a manual, no need for the extra connections at the bottom of the rad. My question is what fitting needs to be used to blank off these connections?
MB seems to have the same part number for both manual and auto. I assume they are just supplying the auto version.

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com

alpina

• Vendor
  • Silver
  • Spain, Asturias, Villaviciosa
Re: Auto Radiator in a manual
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2023, 20:11:06 »
Thanks for the info Colin. when you say we can leave them open, how do these connections work exactly ? I sort of assumed water would come out of them, obviously i have no idea
what is going on there. Interested to know. I guess this does not affect the cooling efficiency of the auto over a manual radiator.

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2023, 20:30:17 »
I assume these are automatic transmission fluid connections.  It's a closed loop system, fluid goes in one hole, gets cooled by the air passing over the radiator, and then goes out the other hole.  Leaving them open would not let any engine coolant out, as that is its own closed loop system.  I guess the only danger in leaving them uncapped and open is allowing mice or some other critter to nest in there.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2023, 16:35:19 »
Not quite.
The transmission oil cooler is immersed in coolant so it is engine coolant that does the transmission fluid cooling which in turn is cooled by air running through the radiator.
But yes, the transmission fluid would just run in one end and out the other so leaving it open will do no harm.

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2023, 00:40:59 »
The transmission oil cooler is immersed in coolant so it is engine coolant that does the transmission fluid cooling which in turn is cooled by air running through the radiator.
At the risk of hijacking the thread, does this cause problems when getting a radiator cleaned out, or upgraded to 3 rows?  Obviously, I've never seen a radiator apart or cut open.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL