Author Topic: Correct Dipstick?  (Read 6452 times)

n/a

Correct Dipstick?
« on: May 10, 2004, 17:39:11 »
I have read several of the discussions regarding smoke coming out of the dipstick being an indication of leaking rings, which is what is currently happening in my car, to a small degree.  One of the postings indicated that the presence of the smoke could result from having an incorrect dipstick.  I checked it and clearly stamped on the top is 220 SE.  Is this the correct dipstick?  Does anyone have a picture of what the correct dipstick would look like?  

Also, in one of the threads it referred to the dipstick filter?  Where is this located?

Thanks for the help.

Dan H

1965 230 SL Euro 4 speed (me)
2004 230 SLK Kompressor (my wife)

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: Correct Dipstick?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 18:23:39 »
Dan,

Hi.  The search tool is a wonderful thing:
http://index.php?topic=450

I hope this helps you determine what you have is correct or not.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

n/a

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 18:24:14 »
Dan

My 230 SL also has 220SE stamped on the dipstick and the car is original. Apparently many parts were interchangable with the sedan. What I call the dipstick filter is the little cannister on top where the 220 SE is stamped. Smoke coming from the dipstick tube could be an indication of a blocked breather pipe so this is the first place I would look. My motor has done 130,000 miles and tends to blow oil and fumes through the dipstick tube. This is more noticeable in hot weather and after high speed driving. As all the breather pipes are clear I believe this in an indication of some wear in the rings. However as the car still goes like a rocket, there's no point in major overhauls just yet.

I have a 1971 280 SE 3.5 that blows smoke occasionally and have been advised to change to another oil. I'm about to put in Fuchs Titan HV-70 oil for older vehicles. This is a 40W-70 grade oil that supposedly assists in smoke control and maintaining oil pressure. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Hope this is of some help.

Mark

1965 230 SL light blue, auto, RHD

n/a

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 23:14:50 »
Mark and Rodd,

Thanks for the help.  I've cleaned out the breather hose and according to the thread to which Rodd referred me, I have the correct dipstick.  I'm replacing a couple brake hoses, and then I can take it out and see what happens.

Mark, I read in another thread that you also had oil coming out where the tach cable goes into the block.  It seems my car is having very similar symptoms, especially at high RPMs.  Did you solve this issue with a new tach seal?

Dan H

1965 230 SL Euro 4 speed (me)
2004 230 SLK Kompressor (my wife)

n/a

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 01:55:11 »
Hi Dan

Yes I put in a new seal when the tacho cable broke and had to be replaced. That problem is now fixed.

Mark

1965 230 SL light blue, auto, RHD

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 11:09:48 »
While on the topic of where the tach cable goes into the engine, you should check the verticle play in that assembly.  The large bushing wears and can allow the oil pump to disengage, which equals zero oil pressure!  Check out this thread:

http://index.php?topic=1391

and you can search for more threads using some combination of the words: "thrust" "bearing" "bushing"  "tach" "wear" "worn"

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL