Author Topic: 66 Auto_Trans ...where to service in Indy???  (Read 2466 times)

Kurt Miller

66 Auto_Trans ...where to service in Indy???
« on: August 12, 2011, 16:51:56 »
New to owning a Pagoda, I've been reviewing the Forum topics on auto transmission adjustments and faults.  Mine shifts inconsistently (hard then soft) and wondered if anyone in the Indianapolis area is an expert at troubleshooting the 'adjustments' and associated hardware?  Recently relocated from Texas and don't have my tools or lifts here yet.  Many thanks for the GREAT owners website!!!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 16:57:26 by Kurt Miller »

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: 66 Auto_Trans ...where to service in Indy???
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 20:20:54 »
You might check with the MB dealer on the north side of town. I know they get some of the old stuff in from time to time.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 09:47:49 »
Kurt,
You have described perfectly a symptom of a sticking three way solenoid. Or more appropriately the linkage for the solenoid. Your transmission uses this solenoid to adjust the control pressure to suit conditions. Low for a smooth idle, Medium for normal driving and high for full throttle driving. If you flip up the carpet on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel you will see an access plate that will get you there. The solenoid is mounted on top of the transmission and the rod runs down the right side.  a Phillips screwdriver, a little oil and some wiggling should be all you need.

Or you could just accelerate to full throttle 5 or 10 times to shake it loose until you can get to it..."Honest officer, this guy on the internet said..."

Kurt Miller

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 23:11:28 »
Hey thanks Shvegel and Johnny...nice to know these are fairly firendly mechanically!