Author Topic: restored sl  (Read 2968 times)

n/a

restored sl
« on: September 01, 2005, 18:30:30 »
i would like to know what a 'restored' car is.  does this mean that the entire car is made of new parts, down to the engine block?  i assume that there are different levels of restoration but are there any guidelines to this?  also, does a restored car have a different value than an original one?  thanks.
scott

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: restored sl
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 08:15:20 »
Scott,

You'll probably get as many different answers as there are cars out there.  Here are some guidelines that are my opinions:

Restoration generally is more encompassing then a repair.  Most if not all of the rust and body work is taken care of, most if not all of the mechanicals have been restored back to new or like new condition.  An original car would not have things repaired, restored, repainted, replated, replaced unless they called for it.  Restored cars generally have all of this done regardless of whether it needed it or not.  Original cars look old; that's not a pejorative term but descriptive.  Even the best condition of original cars will show their age, which might be old and worn or might be a glowing patina.  A restored car might look like it is out of the showroom, and would never be mistaken for original.

My car is a good example of a restored, if not highly restored car.  All the plated surfaces, (chrome, zinc etc.) have been replated.  The entire body was removed of rust by cutting out the bad metal and replacing with new.  The entire car, in and out, was repainted.  The engine was rebuilt, a complete long block.  All, and I do mean all, other bits and pieces were cleaned, repainted, repaired, or replaced, and I mean everything.  I had no problem with putting new parts on, and didn't search out used or new old stock parts. New was fine with me, anathema to others.

Next time there is a 113 meet, come for a visit.  You will see completely original cars in questionable condition; very original cars that have been completely maintained and repaired; partially restored cars, and fully restored cars.

Now where you'll get differences in opinion is in the philosophy of restoration.  Many restored cars, particularly those of certain historical significance, are specifically NOT restored to look new.  NOS (new old stock) parts rather then just new parts are sourced; used parts in good condition are preferable to new parts, etc.  Again, there are a lot of different approaches and a lot is dependent on price and availability of parts.

Now of course you'll get quite a few responses that completely differ from my opinions here!

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

n/a

Re: restored sl
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 20:21:19 »
thanks, michael.  i appreciate your opinion and it is very helpful.  i am going to see a 280sl for sale in 2 days and i will find out as much as i can about its level of restoration.  hopefully i can post the info and get opinions of a ballpark figure for the car's worth.  btw, are pictures of your car posted on the site? thanks again
scott